October 2, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V698000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V698
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,924
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2000-2002 325i and 325xi Sedan, and 323Ci, 325Ci, and 330Ci Convertible vehicles. This recall affects certain vehicles that may have had a driver-side air bag module installed as replacement equipment such as after a vehicle crash necessitating replacement of the original air bag, or as a remedy part for a prior recall. The frontal air bag inflator may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, temperature and temperature cycling.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, replace the driver’s air bag module, free of charge. The recall began November 7, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417. Note: This recall is an expansion of previous recalls, numbers 17V-047 and 19V-015.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 65 20 19
RECALL CAMPAIGN 19V-698: DRIVER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|E46||3 Series Sedan and Convertibles||June 23, 1999 – April 26, 2002|
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective October 8, 2019) involving the driver’s front air bag module on a small number of Model Year 2000 through 2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles that were produced between June 23, 1999 and April 26, 2002. This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-4 inflator which entered the spare parts supply chain, and may have been installed in vehicles during service or repair events.
To assist you with customer concerns, please reference the attached Q&A. All customers affected by this Recall are being sent letters in November 2019.
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
The Warranty Vehicle Inquiry system will display the comment: XXXXXXXXXX B652019 Recall: XXXXXXXXXX
Check the driver’s air bag, and if necessary, replace it.
1. Check the label on the back of the driver’s air bag.
Is the label yellow with a white number sticker with printed serial number BAM PT1-1085 (as shown on left) printed below the bar code?
YES– replace air bag
NO – the driver’s air bag is not affected.
Reinstall the driver’s air bag.
Air bags from other manufacturers (non-Takata), or Takata air bags with different chemical compositions (white label) are not affected by this recall and DO NOT need to be replaced.
Air bags from other manufacturers (non-Takata), or Takata air bags with different chemical compositions (white label) are not affected by this recall and DO NOT need to be replaced.
On vehicles with a basic steering wheel, the horn ring must be remounted to the new part.
See ATTACHMENT A
Have the new airbag module ready and remove one of the two stickers with the barcode and the serial number of the airbag module.
This must be glued on the horn ring after assembly.
Note: Before installing the replacement part, the new air bag module’s serial number must be documented by the technician on the repair order so it can also be entered into the warranty claim’s comment section.
If the serial number is missing, the warranty claim will be rejected.
Note: Only request and invoice the applicable part number specified and listed in this Service Information bulletin.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK by VIN or model will result with the wrong part(s) being invoiced and installed.
Please refer to the weekly Parts Matrix for the parts ordering procedure.
Part numbers 6877590 and 6877592 are ordered from Kem Krest.
Part number 6877591, enter a Recall IDS Ticket request.
Use only one VIN per IDS Ticket
Include photo of the yellow label on the back of the unit being replaced
|Impact Plate Airbag Sport Steering Wheel or M Sport Steering Wheel (SA0255 or SA0710)||1||32 30 6 877 590|
|Impact plate Airbag Basic steering wheel without multifunction||1||32 30 6 877 591|
|Impact Plate Airbag Basic steering wheel with multifunction (SA0249) – not for sports steering wheel or M sports steering wheel||1||32 30 6 877 592|
|Airbag unit ALPINA sport steering wheel (SA0920)||1||32 30 7 991 602|
Other small parts such as one-time use screws, nuts and seals, which must be replaced according to the ISTA repair instructions/ETK, must be selected from the Electronic Parts Catalogue according to the respective vehicle type and invoiced under the special defect code.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
The parts replaced to perform and submit for this Recall repair procedure are the property of BMW NA.
Your center is responsible for the proper identification, storage and documentation of these parts. They must be held in a secure retention area until notification of claim payment is made by BMW NA through DCSnet. Upon claim payment, a DCSnet part return tag will be generated for the driver’s front air bag module with special handling instructions.
Please DO NOT return these recalled air bag modules directly to Lightning Resources or the WPRC.
Inflatable air bags are classified as dangerous goods by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and require special preparation, packing and labeling for transport.
Your center is responsible for following all rules and regulations that apply to shipping dangerous goods as described in the attachment.
A shipping procedure has been created for returning the replaced air bag modules directly to Takata. There is also a procedure available for Bulk Shipping 15 or more air bag modules at one time to Takata.
These procedures are contained in the Part Return Program Instructions and Bulk Ship PDF attachments to this bulletin; please read both of them. Effective immediately, please use the following email address when scheduling bulk shipment returns to Takata:
The parts are to be packaged in the same packaging that the new part arrived in for shipment back to Takata.
The returns pickup schedule has been changed from weekly to every two weeks (bi-weekly)
Parts returned to warranty for this recall that are not manufactured by ‘Takata’, and don’t have the YELLOW label as noted above will be debited. WHITE label Takata gas generators contain a different chemical composition and are NOT part of this recall
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
Checking the Label Only:
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|#1||00 68 671||Checking the driver-side front air bag (No repair is necessary) (Plus work)||3 FRU|
|# 3||00 68 131||Checking the driver-side front air bag (No repair is necessary) (Main work)||3 FRU|
Checking the Label and Replacing the Air Bag:
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|# 2||00 68 672||Checking and replacing driver-side front air bag (Plus work)||5 FRU|
|# 4||00 68 132||Checking and replacing driver-side front air bag (Main work)||5 FRU|
Only one of the listed flat rate unit numbers above may be used for reimbursement purposes.
Claim Repair Comments for this Recall Repair
The new air bag module’s serial number must be documented on the repair order and in the claim comments section.
For the actual repair itself, only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and in the claim comments (For example: B65 20 19 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
Consequential Repairs (RO and Claim Comments Required)
Due to the age of some of the Takata Air Bag Recall Affected Vehicles, even though the proper repair methods are being followed and performed, additional unanticipated repairs maybe necessary as a direct result of performing Takata Air Bag Recall repair procedure. Please refer to SI B01 31 18 for important claim submission information under a separate line item and Defect Code.
Mobile Assistance – Off Site Repair (RO and Claim Comments Required)
For centers that qualify, this Recall repair is eligible to be performed and submitted as a Mobile Assistance OffSite Repair which includes an additional labor allowance.
Qualifying BMW centers are those that currently own and operate a Mobile Assistance Program vehicle. Other centers that may qualify are those who have officially registered their interest in conducting mobile service and mobile assistance work for the BMW Roadside Assistance Program.
If you have not already registered, please send an email with contact information to [email protected]
Additional information can be found in the Mobile Assistance program guide in CenterNet, it is located under the Customer Relations menu.
Claim – Labor Reimbursement
When a vehicle is eligible for this Recall repair and it is performed under this program, qualifying centers will be reimbursed for the corresponding labor operation’s published AIR flat rate unit (FRU) allowance at a of rate of 150 percent. This mobile assistance repair work is subject to the same policy and procedures that apply to the warranty repair work being performed in your workshop.
Time Control and Documentation
While repair-specific punch times are not necessary for this repair work being performed on a vehicle off-site (outside your center), the on-call technician must still punch on the corresponding repair order (electronic or manual) prior to leaving your BMW center when he or she is dispatched. The technician must punch off the repair order upon their return to your center.
In cases where the technician is out on the road for an extended period of time (for example, on multiple calls), only one on/off punch time is required.
In addition to the Takata Air Bag Recall repair order line item, please open an additional line item as describe below:
|Defect Code:||85820269TK||Takata Recall – Mobile Assistance Off-Site Repair|
|Labor Operation||Labor Allowance||Description|
|65 99 000||# FRU*||Additional labor allowance to perform off-site repair through Mobile Assistance|
*Labor Calculation Example
If the special flat rate labor for the Takata Air Bag Recall has a stated allowance of 5 FRU, applying the rate of 150 percent, this repair will be reimbursed at a total of 8 FRU (Rounded up from 7.5) as a Mobile Assistance off-site repair:
Claim the additional 3 FRU or the applicable additional FRU amount using the defect code and labor operation provided above.
Round up half flat rate units when applicable.
Identify this line time as Additional labor for a Mobile Assistance off-site repair.
Itemize the additional labor claimed and explain the repair performed on the repair order and in claim comment section.
Labor operation code 65 99 000 is not considered a Main labor operation.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
With this Technical Campaign, a prior repair reimbursement is not likely. Typically, a customer would have their driver’s front air bag module replaced as a result of an accident. In such a case, either an insurance company or the customer themselves, paid for the replacement of the above mentioned air bag module in conjunction with the accident repairs. Such cases are not covered by this campaign and are not entitled to reimbursement.
B652019 Recall Notice
B652019 Procedure A
picture_as_pdf B652919V 19V-698_QA_2Oct2019.pdf
picture_as_pdf B652019 Recall Notice.pdf
picture_as_pdf B652019 Procedure A.pdf
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Delivery Stop & Recall 19V-698: Driver’s Front Air Bag Module – Prior Parts Replacement – B65 20 19
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective October 8, 2019) on a small number of Model Year 2000 through 2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles that were produced between June 23, 1999 and April 26, 2002.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
|Q1.||Which models are included in this Safety Recall Campaign? |
|Q2.||Which inflator is affected?|
This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-4 inflator which entered the spare parts supply chain, and may have been installed in vehicles at dealers during service visits.
|Q3.||What is the fix? |
The driver’s front air bag module will be checked and if a Takata PSDI-4 inflator is found, it will be replaced.
|Q4.||How long will the repair take? |
Checking the air bag takes about 30 minutes; if the driver’s front air bag module needs to be replaced, it could take approximately one hour. Additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by any authorized BMW center.
|Q5.||Are final remedy parts for the recall available? |
|Q6.||How will I be notified of this recall? |
To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free of charge, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
|Q7.||Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced? |
No. You should make an appointment with an authorized BMW center immediately.
|Q8.||What options are available if it is too inconvenient for me to bring my vehicle to a BMW center for service? There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.|
|Q9.||If I had my driver’s front air bag module replaced prior, do I need to have it replaced again?|
Yes. We need to check the driver’s front air bag module, and if a Takata PSDI-4 inflator is found, it will be replaced. Please contact your authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible.
|Q10.||I own a 2000-2006 BMW 3 Series that still needs to have the passenger’s front air bag replaced under recall 13V-172 or 14V-428. Can I get both air bag modules replaced at the same time?Absolutely! Your BMW center can perform both repairs in a single visit. Please let your service advisor know when you make an appointment and be sure to arrange alternate transportation if needed.|
General Takata Questions
|Q1.||What is the specific concern? |
Takata’s investigation to date indicates that exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity) could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.
|Q2.||What is desiccant? |
Put simply, desiccant is a substance with properties that enable it to soak up water vapor from the air surrounding it.
|Q3.||Why are other BMW models not included? |
Other vehicles have frontal air bags that were produced with different inflators.
|Q4.||What can happen as a result of this issue? |
In a crash where air bag system deployment occurs, the air bag inflator housing may rupture. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.
|Q5.||Is it possible to find out whether the problem exists in my car? |
|Q6.||How did BMW become aware of this issue? |
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
|Q7.||Can I continue to drive my vehicle? |
Yes. However, please contact a authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
|Q8.||I did not receive a letter from BMW regarding my vehicle. How can I find out if my BMW is included in this recall? |
You can check for open recalls a few different ways. You can check for open recalls by entering your vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.bmwusa.com/recall and download a sample owner notification letter and Q&A if your VIN is affected. You can also call or visit your local BMW center’s service department to determine if your BMW is affected. Make sure to update your contact information by registering at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
|Q9.||What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle? |
|Q10.||Will BMW give me a loaner vehicle when my vehicle is being serviced for this recall? |
|Q11.||Which states are considered to be high absolute humidity areas?|
Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, South Carolina and U.S. Virgin Islands.
|Q12.||What determines the prioritized locations that are associated with the most at-risk vehicles – and what is the average propellant degradation time in each? |
Per the NHTSA, geographic zones have been established based on the temperature fluctuations and humidity and the exposure time required under those environmental conditions to degrade the propellant to the point where it poses an unreasonable risk to safety. High Absolute Humidity (“HAH”) definitions are as follows:
|Q13.||Am I eligible for reimbursement under the TREAD Act if I previously replaced my driver’s front air bag module? |
In this particular recall, reimbursement is likely not applicable, as you would typically have replaced your frontal air bag module as a result of an accident. In that situation, most likely your insurance company paid for the repair. However, in the very unusual (unlikely) scenario that you previously paid to replace the front air bag module “out-ofpocket” upon learning of this possible defect, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Additional information is provided when BMW mails the letter asking you to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center.
Before installing the replacement part, the new air bag module’s serial number must be documented by the technician on the repair order so it can also be entered into the warranty claim’s comment section.
The safety regulations that apply when dealing with air bag modules MUST be complied with.
On vehicles with a basic steering wheel, the horn ring must be removed from the new part. To do so, proceed as follows:
1. Remove horn ring.
- Unplug the connector for the grounding cable (see the green arrow in the figure)
- Remove the nuts (see the blue mark in the figure, Torx 55).
- Take off the horn ring, making sure that the springs remain in place.
- Remove the horn contact plate.
- Separate components after disassembly:
Tightening torque: 5.0 +/- 0.2 Nm.
6. Check the horn function at all four corners.
7. Document the serial number: For reimbursement under warranty, the serial number for the new driver’s air bag module (see marking in the following figure) must be noted on the workshop order and on the warranty application. If the serial number is missing, the warranty application is rejected.
See repair instructions REP 32 34 020 “Remove and install / replace air bag units” to complete installation.
SI B65 20 19 – DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT October 2019
BMW / MINI BULK SHIPMENT PACKAGE REFERENCE GUIDE
1. Contact Takata:
– Dealers must contact Takata/XPO once every 2 weeks to schedule BULK and SINGLE recall airbag component
o Email: [email protected]
o Phone: 210-250-5079
– Takata/XPO will select the return type (bulk or single) based on the shipping quantities (LTL or FedEx PRP), and will
supply the dealer with the proper shipping documentation.
o If Takata instructs you to return the recall airbag components as a BULK SHIPMENT, please follow the
instructions outlined below.
o If Takata instructs you to return the recall airbag components as a SINGLE SHIPMENT, please follow the
instructions provided by Takata.
Place the recall airbag components neatly on a pallet,
and securely shrink-wrap them to the pallet.
Note: The total height of the pallet and boxes
cannot exceed 60 inches.
Securely attach the following labels on each
side of the shrink-wrapped pallet.
o Class 9 Label
o UN3268 Safety Device *
o OVERPACK USED *
*You can print these labels on letter
size white paper, using Microsoft Word.
For any other questions or concerns, please contact the WPRC: [email protected]
NOTE: The information outlined in this document pertains to dealers within the Contiguous 48 States.
Dealers in Puerto Rico, the Hawaiian Islands, and Alaska CANNOT follow the shipping instructions outlined in this document; they
MUST contact the following Takata USA representative(s) directly, once every 2 weeks, for shipping instructions:
– Dealers in Puerto Rico, please contact: [email protected]
– Dealers in the Hawaiian Islands, please contact: [email protected]
Please make sure to include the required completed Hawaiian Hazardous Materials Shipping Certificate.
– Dealers in Alaska, please contact : [email protected]
Important: please be aware that there is an underscore ( _ ) in the above Alaska email address,
between the words “Restraints” and “International”.
Or call the Alaskan Representative; Armando Gonzales at 210-250-5039.
SI B65 20 19 – DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT October 2019
Defect Code: 0032480200
Safety Device Return Procedure for Airbag Recall
DO NOT USE THE “1.4 LABEL” AND DO NOT
FOLLOW ANY INSTRUCTIONS FOUND INSIDE
THE REPLACEMENT AIRBAG MODULE’S BOX.
DISREGARD THOSE INSTRUCTIONS AND DO
NOT RELABEL THE ORIGINAL BOX THAT WILL
NOW BE USED FOR RETURNING THE
As the shipper, your center is responsible for proper packaging and
The person packaging the airbag(s) must have received the Hazardous
Material training per 49CFR 172.702. Those training records must be on
file at your center.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (“DOT”) will impose substantial
fines and/or penalties on the shipper if the packaging, labeling, or
documentation is not properly prepared and the customer’s (center)
copy of the OP 900PRP form is not kept on file for a minimum of two (2)
SI B65 02 17 – RECALL 17V-047: DRIVER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS
CAMPAIGN DOF – CONTIGUOUS 48 STATE FEDEX GROUND SHIPMENT PREPARATION
As the shipper, you are responsible for proper packing and document completion. The person packaging
the module must have received hazardous material training per 49CFR 172.702, and the training records
must be on file at your dealership. The U.S. Department of Transportation will impose substantial fines
and/or penalties on the shipper if the packaging, labeling, or documentation is not properly prepared and
Customer Copy of OP 900PRP form is not kept on file for a minimum of 2 years.
IMPORTANT: Do not deploy the safety device. The person packing the used safety device must read and follow
the provided instructions.
Dealers must contact Takata/XPO once every 2 weeks to schedule BULK and SINGLE recall
airbag component shipments. Takata/XPO will select the return type (bulk or single) based on the
shipping quantities (LTL or FedEx PRP), and will supply the dealer with the proper shipping
Email: [email protected]
NOTE: Dealers in Puerto Rico, the Hawaiian Islands, and Alaska CANNOT follow the shipping instructions
outlined in this document; they MUST contact the following Takata USA representative(s) directly, once every 2
weeks, for shipping instructions:
Dealers in Puerto Rico, please contact: [email protected]
Dealers in the Hawaiian Islands, please contact: [email protected]
Please make sure to include the required completed Hawaiian Hazardous Materials
Dealers in Alaska, please contact: [email protected]
Important: please be aware that there is an underscore ( _ ) in the above Alaska email
address, between the words “Restraints” and “International”.
Or call the Alaskan Representative; Armando Gonzales at 210-250-5039
For any other questions or concerns, please contact the WPRC: [email protected]
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL – Final Remedy Available
This notice applies to your vehicle,
Recall Campaign No. 19V-698: Driver’s Air Bag Module
Dear BMW Owner / Lessee:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2000-2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a vehicle in this recall.
What could happen?
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver’s air bag, excessive internal pressure could cause the air bag to explode, resulting in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers potentially resulting in serious injury or death. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers and passengers of this important information.
What will BMW do?
Your vehicle may have received a Takata inflator if the air bag module was replaced during a prior repair. The driver air bag module will be checked and if a Takata inflator is found, it will be replaced with a final remedy part. This free repair will take approximately one hour.
There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
Please schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed by an authorized BMW Center immediately. Visit www.bmwusa.com/dealer to locate your nearest BMW center. If you already had this repair performed at your own expense, please see the attachment regarding possible eligibility for reimbursement.
What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
You can update the vehicle ownership or your contact information by filling out the enclosed postage-paid card or by registering at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal Regulations require you to forward this notice to your lessee within ten days.
What if I have questions or experience problems?
Should you have any questions about this recall, please contact your authorized BMW center. If you need additional assistance, contact BMW Customer Relations and Services by calling 1-800-525-7417 or via email at [email protected].
If your BMW center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
Please be assured that your safety is important to us and we sincerely apologize if this recall causes any inconvenience. We recommend that you and your passengers wear your seat belt at all times. Sincerely,
BMW of North America, LLC
Spanish translation on back side
Traducción en español en el lado inverso
IMPORTANTE RETIRADA POR MOTIVOS DE SEGURIDAD
Repuesto final disponible
Este aviso se aplica a su vehículo,
Campaña de retirada n.º 19V-698: Módulo de airbag del conductor
Noviembre de 2019
Estimado propietario o arrendatario de un vehículo BMW:
Le enviamos este aviso en virtud de la National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Ley Nacional de Seguridad de Tránsito y Vehículos). BMW AG ha determinado que algunos vehículos de los modelos de la Serie 3 de BMW, de los años 2000 a 2002, tienen un defecto relacionado con la seguridad de los vehículos motorizados. Según nuestros registros, usted es propietario de un vehículo que forma parte de esta retirada.
¿Qué podría suceder?
En caso de producirse un choque que requiriera la activación del airbag del conductor, la presión interna excesiva podría hacer explotar el airbag. Esto podría hacer que fragmentos metálicos golpearan al conductor o a otros pasajeros, lo que podría causar lesiones graves o la muerte. Si usted no es la única persona que conduce ese vehículo, comparta esta importante información con todos los demás conductores y pasajeros.
¿Qué hará BMW?
Es posible que su vehículo haya recibido un inflador Takata si se reemplazó el módulo de airbag en una reparación anterior. Se revisará el módulo de airbag del conductor y, si hay un inflador Takata, se reemplazará por una pieza de repuesto final. Esta reparación gratuita se llevará a cabo en aproximadamente una hora.
Hay algunas opciones en caso de que sea un inconveniente traer el vehículo para repararlo como, por ejemplo, reparación a domicilio, transportes alternativos, traslados de ida y vuelta, eventos de distribuidores autorizados y remolques. Comuníquese con su centro local de BMW para ver las opciones disponibles.
Programe una cita para que un centro de BMW autorizado le haga esta importante reparación gratuita de inmediato. Visite www.bmwusa.com/dealer para localizar el centro de BMW más cercano. Si ya ha hecho esta reparación por su cuenta, consulte el adjunto sobre la posible elegibilidad para recibir un reembolso.
¿Qué ocurre si no soy el propietario actual de este vehículo?
Puede actualizar la información de la titularidad del vehículo o su información de contacto completando la tarjeta con respuesta postal paga adjunta o registrándose en http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
Si usted es arrendador del vehículo, las reglamentaciones federales exigen que reenvíe este aviso a su arrendatario en un plazo de diez días.
¿Qué debo hacer si tengo alguna pregunta o algún problema?
Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre esta retirada, comuníquese con el centro autorizado de BMW. Si necesita asistencia adicional, comuníquese con el BMW Customer Relations and Services (Servicio de Atención al Cliente de BMW) llamando al 1-800-525-7417 o por correo electrónico a [email protected].
Si el centro de BMW no puede resolver el defecto sin cargo o en un plazo razonable, puede notificar al administrador de la National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (Administración Nacional de Seguridad de Tránsito en Carreteras), 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, llamar a la Vehicle Safety Hotline (Línea gratuita directa de seguridad vehicular) al 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) o visitar http://www.safercar.gov.
Le garantizamos que nos importa su seguridad y le pedimos sinceras disculpas si esta retirada le causa algún inconveniente. Recomendamos que usted y sus pasajeros utilicen el cinturón de seguridad en todo momento.
BMW of North America, LLC
English version on front side
Versión en inglés en el frente
9 Affected Products
10 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report – change to defect description
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-4
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-1
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-2
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
1 Associated Investigation
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- 🌲【ABS&SAS&SRS SCANNER】FOXWELL NT630 Plus ABS & Airbag OBD2 scanner does not only provides accurate and professional diagnosis of ABS/SRS/SAS faults , but also removes air from the internal brake fluid chambers after servicing the brakes. 👉TIPS: It can not remove airbag crash data or collision data.
- 🌲【ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】Anytime the brake system is opened to replace components such as calipers, wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, or brake lines or hoses, air gets inside. The air has to be removed by bleeding the brakes if you want a firm brake pedal. You can use this diagnostic scanner to help bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves during the bleeding process.
- 🌲【ACTIVE TEST】The OBD scan tool temporarily allow you to active or control ABS/Airbag system and component, including switches, sensors, relays& actuators. It saving your time and labor costs.
- 🌲【PERFECT COMPATIBILITY】The diagnostic scanner for automobiles is compatible with almost all OBDII cars, SUVs, minivans, light-duty trucks sold worldwide, Which makes it suitable for both mechanic and DIYers. ABS and SRS Coverage for 60+ Vehicle Makes. SAS calibration is on 30+ selected make.
- 🌲【UPGRADE AND NO WORRIES】The update tool FoxAssist allows you update& uninstall software, save & print data, gaining more available vehicle models and language on the original basis free lifetime. And there is a technical assistance for timely and effectively solving the quality problem within 24 Hours.
- Read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Get your unlimited free vehicle specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by Professional Automotive Technicians
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- BlueDriver is the Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
- 【2021 New Elite Version LAUNCH CRP129X】LAUNCH CRP129X is upgrade version of launch crp123/launch crp123e/launch crp123x/launch crp123i/launch vii+/launch crp129/ launch viii, ➤and CRP129X is same function as launch crp129e/ launch crp129i ➤ 2 years free update & 5 Years warranty ➤Fast delivery by amazon. (PS. Contact seller “LaunchDirect” to get free Gift)
- 【MORE POWERFUL FUNCTIONS + ENHANCED HARDWARE】Based on LAUNCH CRP129 and VIII, LAUNCH CRP129X scan tool adds two more reset services (TPMS reset, throttle adaptation), AutoVIN scan, 4 in1 graphing parameter, Automatic Health Report, Lifetime Free one-click Update, Online Google Search, Battery Voltage Test, navigation & hot keys. We also upgraded the hardware: Larger 5” touch screen, Fast 7.0 Android, 16G RAM, 6100mah BAT, to give you better user experience.
- 【5 SERVICE FUNCTIONS + AUTOVIN SCAN + DIAGNOSTIC REPORT GENERATION】This CRP129X obd2 scanner features 5 most used reset service: Oil Reset, Steering Angle Calibration, Electronic Parking Brake, TPMS Reset, Throttle Adaptation. The Auto VIN technology can identify vehicle make, model, and year information to shorten the vehicle navigation process. You can generate a vehicle health report by one-click and share to your email via Wifi which can help avoid blind maintenance, save time and money.
- 【ABS/SRS/AT/ENG SYSTEMS DIAGNOSTIC + LIVE DATD STREAM IN GRAPHIC+ DATA RECORD AND PLAYBACK】LAUNCH CRP129X scan tool reads graphic data streams for Engine/Transmission/ABS/SRS systems, and turn off the warning light related. Auto record diagnostic data, recorded data can be played back in text & graph format, helps to quick analysis and diagnosis. Playback supports 2 graphs or 4 PID's graphed. 9 Languages Support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean.
- 【LIFETIME FREE ONE-CLICK UPDATE + OVER 10000+ VEHICLE MODELS + FULL OBD2 COMPLIANT + BATTERY VOLTAGE TEST】One-click free update via Wi-Fi, fixed bugs, and Upgrade new make up to 2020 models. The LAUNCH CRP129X obd2 scanner works on 57 vehicle brands, Cover OBD1/OBD2/EOBD/JOBD vehicle, mostly manufactured after 1996. Reset DTC, I/M Readiness Status,O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test etc. Realtime battery voltage graphing helps to Judge the state of the battery.
- 🚘【ABS, SRS, Engine, Transmission Diagnosis】Autel ML629 OBD2 scanner can acccess and scan ABS, SRS, Engine, Transmission and OBDII systems on various European, American, and Asian vehicles to read, erase codes and turn off the MIL, ABS, SRS warning lights, get your vehicle ready for the annual test. With its budget-friendly cost, ML629 is ideal car diagnostic tool for DIYers and home mechanics. NOTE: Please send VIN number to AutelUS @ outlook . com to check compatibility before purchase.
- 🚘【All 10 Modes of OBD2 Tests】MaxiLink ML629 check engine code reader can perform all 10 modes of OBD2 tests, including read & erase codes, view live data in text or graph, freeze frame, retrieve I/M readiness status, O2 monitor test, On-Board monitor test, component test, view vehicle information and module present. This engine analyzer can pinpoint the fault cause of the engine system to turn off check engine light.
- 🚘【DTC Definitions Lookup】As an upgraded version of AL619, ML619, Autel ML629 is designed to come with built-in DTC library of 7000 DTC definitions. ML629 OBDII code reader can quickly retrieve generic (P0, P2, P3, and U0) codes, manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) codes and pending codes and access the complete library of DTC definitions.
- 🚘【Data Review, Printing & Lifetime Free Updates】MaxiLink ML629 auto diagnostic scanner has data review function that enables DIYers to review the data recorded. And you can print out the diagnostic report for further analysis. NOTE: ML629 comes with LIFETIME FREE software updates. Update the scanner using a card reader before use to cover more vehicles.
- 🚘【Risk-Free Purchase & 24/7 Support】Autel MaxiLink ML629 ABS, SRS scanner is backed by 30 Day NEW REPLACEMENT & FULL REFUND policy and comes with 1(One) Year Warranty. With 24/7 tech & sales support, your purchase is 100% risk-free. NOTE: To change menu language, please send 12 digits Serial Number to AutelUS @ outlook . com to get authorization.
- 【EASY ABS/SRS DIAGNOSIS】: The obd2 scanner diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models. Turns off Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and ABS/SRS warning lights, clears codes and resets monitors. Note: For double check, please contact us through [email protected], we will check the vehicle compatibility for you.
- 【EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE】: The scan tool works on most 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN) including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan,Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat, Renault, Land rover, Jaguar
- 【WIDE CODES DIAGNOSIS】: The vehicle code reader retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes
- 【GRAPH LIVE DATA DISPLAY】: The diagnostic tool views freeze frame data; Reads, stores and playbacks live PCM data stream and live sensor data; Graphs data; Prints data via PC
- 【ONLINE UPDATE INCLUDED】: The obd2 scanner is Internet updatable and upgradable, we offer 12 months warranty insurance.
- 【POWERFUL FUNCTIONS】 The code reader LAUNCH Creader 8021 supports reading/ clearing DTCs, reading data stream for ABS and SRS system. In addition, oil reset helps reset the mileage to reduce the unnecessary problems; EPB reset helps users with Brake cable/ Brake pad replacement. SAS helps clear the faulty steering angle sensor memories and calibrate the steering angle sensor. BMS reset performs a reset on the vehicle battery for clearing the fault information and re-match the battery.
- 【EXTENSIVE COVERAGE】 The ABS/SRS diagnoses of this scan tool works on 46 vehicle brands from 2006-2016. Oil reset and EPB reset work on 40 car brands. Full OBD2 functions are suitable for most 1996 US-Based, 2001 EU-Based and newer vehicles. It reads common protocols such as ISO9141-2, ISO14230-4, SAEJ1850, and ISO15765-4.
- 【FULL OBD2 FUNCTIONS】 This obd2 scanner has full OBD2 functions, including: Read & Clear DTCs, read freeze frame data, turn off MIL, I/M readiness status, O2 sensor test, Evap Systems Test, on-board monitor test, read vehicle information.
- 【DIAGNOSE, RECORD, REVIEW】 You can do real-time DTC and datastream testing, and you can also record all the scanner testing and review all the data with this obd2 scanner. You can even print out the results on your computer printer so you can talk about the results later with your friends or fellow mechanics.
- 【WARRANTY & LANGUAGES】 This LAUNCH scan tool provides 12-month warranty and offers free internet update (Mini USB). Multiple languages: English, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Portuguese, Japanese.
- 1⃣【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 2⃣【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 3⃣【 Find Your Vehicles Here】Launch CRP123 obd2 scanner Supports mainstream vehicles on the world like ACURA VW AUDI AUST FORD BENZ BMW CHRYSLER FIAT GM HOLDEN HONDA HYUNDAI INFINITI JAGUAR ISUZU KIA LANDROVER LEXUS MAZDA MITSUBISHI NISSAN OPEL PORSCHE SAAB SEAT SKODA SMART MERCEDES SPRINTER SUBARU SUZUKI SCION TOYOTA USA FORD VOLVO PEUGEOT CITROEN RENAULT EUROFORD.Etc.
- ⃣【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 👍【ABS SRS SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS】Autel AutoLink AL619 car diagnostics tool can diagnose ABS and SRS(Airbag) systems on sedans and light trucks. It can read and clear DTCs, show definitions of each code, display live data of multiple sensors in graph to locate fault causes and assist home mechanics to do the proper repair and clear ABS & Airbag warning lights. NOTE: ABS SRS Scan does NOT work on vehicles after 2015. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【ALL 10 MODES OF OBD2 TESTS & MORE】The AL619 OBD2 scanner can access Powertrain Control Module and perform ALL 10 modes of OBD2 tests on vehicles to check emission related conditions, including: Read & Clear Codes, View Freeze Frame data, I/M Readiness Status(Smog Check), live PID data stream of multiple sensors in graph, O2 Sensor Tests, On-Board Monitor Tests, Components Tests, Module Present, Retrieve Vehicle Information(VIN, CIN and CVN) and DTC Lookup.
- 👍【GENERIC, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC & PENDING CODES】 Autel AutoLink AL619 car diagnostic code reader retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes. For manufacturer specific or enhanced codes, you need to select a vehicle make on an additional screen to look for DTC definitions.
- 👍【UNMATCHED VEHICLE COMPATIBILITY】 AL619 car diagnostic scanner supports all OBD2 protocols: KWP2000, ISO2000, ISO9141, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM and CAN and is compatible with all OBD2/CAN compliant vehicles(sedans, SUVs and light trucks) post 1996 in US, post 2000 for EU-based and Asian cars. NOTE: ABS SRS(Airbag) diagnostics is NOT universally compatible to all vehicles. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【RISK-FREE PURCHASE AND HASSLE FREE SERVICES】 The AL619 auto diagnostic scanner comes with lifetime FREE software updates. Autel Autolink AL619 car scan tool is backed by 30 Days REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND, 12 Months free from defects after-sales services. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact us directly via 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘.
- 1.2021 Elite Version 2. Conact seller to get free gift. 3. Same function as launch crp123e/ launch crp123x/ launch crp123i.
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, ; the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advance OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Free Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage OBD2 Automotive Scanner]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others.
- 👍【ABS SRS DIAGNOSIS】: Autel AL609P OBDII Scanner can perform comprehensive diagnosis on ABS and SRS systems of OBD2/CAN compliant vehicles. This pro car diagnostic scanner reads and clears ABS, SRS codes and turns off ABS Airbag warning lights and reset monitors. NOTE: ABS SRS scan for AL609P is NOT universally compatible. Please send VIN number to 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【AUTO VIN AND DEEPLY DIAGNOSIS FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLES】: Autel AL609P Pro scan tool ONLY support following specific vehicles - Ford, GM, Chrysler, BMW, BENZ, VW, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, KIA, HYUNDAI.
- 👍【COMPLETE OBD2 FUNCTIONS AND MORE】: AL609P OBD2 scanner supports all 10 modes of OBD diagnostic functions including read and clear fault codes, view freeze frame data, retrieve I/M readiness to pass smog check, view live PID data of multiple sensors in text or graph, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test(Mode 6), Component Test to check EVAP system, Module Present and view vehicle information(VIN, CIN and CVN). Autel AL609P comes with Auto VIN acquisition function for quick car diagnosis.
- 👍【TURN OFF CHECK ENGINE LIGHT】: Autel AL609P Auto Diagnostic Scanner helps you determine why the Malfunction Indicator Light is on. With the DTC lookup and Code Breaker function of this car code reader, you can quickly figure out where and how bad is the problem and get tips about how to fix it. Never get ripped off by dealership again!
- 👍【DATA PRINTING AND FREE LIFETIME UPDATES】: AL609P pro check engine code reader can read, record and playback diagnostic data and print data via windows-based PC. The car diagnostic tool comes with LIFETIME software updates and protected free from defects for 12 Months. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact 🚘auteldirect @ outlook.com🚘 for REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND within 30 Days. Purchase now and go fix something!
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API