October 2, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V698000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V698
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,924
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2000-2002 325i and 325xi Sedan, and 323Ci, 325Ci, and 330Ci Convertible vehicles. This recall affects certain vehicles that may have had a driver-side air bag module installed as replacement equipment such as after a vehicle crash necessitating replacement of the original air bag, or as a remedy part for a prior recall. The frontal air bag inflator may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, temperature and temperature cycling.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, replace the driver’s air bag module, free of charge. The recall began November 7, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417. Note: This recall is an expansion of previous recalls, numbers 17V-047 and 19V-015.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 65 20 19
RECALL CAMPAIGN 19V-698: DRIVER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|E46||3 Series Sedan and Convertibles||June 23, 1999 – April 26, 2002|
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective October 8, 2019) involving the driver’s front air bag module on a small number of Model Year 2000 through 2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles that were produced between June 23, 1999 and April 26, 2002. This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-4 inflator which entered the spare parts supply chain, and may have been installed in vehicles during service or repair events.
To assist you with customer concerns, please reference the attached Q&A. All customers affected by this Recall are being sent letters in November 2019.
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
The Warranty Vehicle Inquiry system will display the comment: XXXXXXXXXX B652019 Recall: XXXXXXXXXX
Check the driver’s air bag, and if necessary, replace it.
1. Check the label on the back of the driver’s air bag.
Is the label yellow with a white number sticker with printed serial number BAM PT1-1085 (as shown on left) printed below the bar code?
YES– replace air bag
NO – the driver’s air bag is not affected.
Reinstall the driver’s air bag.
Air bags from other manufacturers (non-Takata), or Takata air bags with different chemical compositions (white label) are not affected by this recall and DO NOT need to be replaced.
Air bags from other manufacturers (non-Takata), or Takata air bags with different chemical compositions (white label) are not affected by this recall and DO NOT need to be replaced.
On vehicles with a basic steering wheel, the horn ring must be remounted to the new part.
See ATTACHMENT A
This must be glued on the horn ring after assembly.
Note: Before installing the replacement part, the new air bag module’s serial number must be documented by the technician on the repair order so it can also be entered into the warranty claim’s comment section.
If the serial number is missing, the warranty claim will be rejected.
Note: Only request and invoice the applicable part number specified and listed in this Service Information bulletin.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK by VIN or model will result with the wrong part(s) being invoiced and installed.
Please refer to the weekly Parts Matrix for the parts ordering procedure.
Part numbers 6877590 and 6877592 are ordered from Kem Krest.
Part number 6877591, enter a Recall IDS Ticket request.
Use only one VIN per IDS Ticket
Include photo of the yellow label on the back of the unit being replaced
|Impact Plate Airbag Sport Steering Wheel or M Sport Steering Wheel (SA0255 or SA0710)||1||32 30 6 877 590|
|Impact plate Airbag Basic steering wheel without multifunction||1||32 30 6 877 591|
|Impact Plate Airbag Basic steering wheel with multifunction (SA0249) – not for sports steering wheel or M sports steering wheel||1||32 30 6 877 592|
|Airbag unit ALPINA sport steering wheel (SA0920)||1||32 30 7 991 602|
Other small parts such as one-time use screws, nuts and seals, which must be replaced according to the ISTA repair instructions/ETK, must be selected from the Electronic Parts Catalogue according to the respective vehicle type and invoiced under the special defect code.
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
The parts replaced to perform and submit for this Recall repair procedure are the property of BMW NA.
Your center is responsible for the proper identification, storage and documentation of these parts. They must be held in a secure retention area until notification of claim payment is made by BMW NA through DCSnet. Upon claim payment, a DCSnet part return tag will be generated for the driver’s front air bag module with special handling instructions.
Please DO NOT return these recalled air bag modules directly to Lightning Resources or the WPRC.
Inflatable air bags are classified as dangerous goods by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and require special preparation, packing and labeling for transport.
Your center is responsible for following all rules and regulations that apply to shipping dangerous goods as described in the attachment.
A shipping procedure has been created for returning the replaced air bag modules directly to Takata. There is also a procedure available for Bulk Shipping 15 or more air bag modules at one time to Takata.
These procedures are contained in the Part Return Program Instructions and Bulk Ship PDF attachments to this bulletin; please read both of them. Effective immediately, please use the following email address when scheduling bulk shipment returns to Takata:
The parts are to be packaged in the same packaging that the new part arrived in for shipment back to Takata.
The returns pickup schedule has been changed from weekly to every two weeks (bi-weekly)
Parts returned to warranty for this recall that are not manufactured by ‘Takata’, and don’t have the YELLOW label as noted above will be debited. WHITE label Takata gas generators contain a different chemical composition and are NOT part of this recall
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
Checking the Label Only:
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|#1||00 68 671||Checking the driver-side front air bag (No repair is necessary) (Plus work)||3 FRU|
|# 3||00 68 131||Checking the driver-side front air bag (No repair is necessary) (Main work)||3 FRU|
Checking the Label and Replacing the Air Bag:
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|# 2||00 68 672||Checking and replacing driver-side front air bag (Plus work)||5 FRU|
|# 4||00 68 132||Checking and replacing driver-side front air bag (Main work)||5 FRU|
Only one of the listed flat rate unit numbers above may be used for reimbursement purposes.
Claim Repair Comments for this Recall Repair
The new air bag module’s serial number must be documented on the repair order and in the claim comments section.
For the actual repair itself, only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and in the claim comments (For example: B65 20 19 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
Consequential Repairs (RO and Claim Comments Required)
Due to the age of some of the Takata Air Bag Recall Affected Vehicles, even though the proper repair methods are being followed and performed, additional unanticipated repairs maybe necessary as a direct result of performing Takata Air Bag Recall repair procedure. Please refer to SI B01 31 18 for important claim submission information under a separate line item and Defect Code.
Mobile Assistance – Off Site Repair (RO and Claim Comments Required)
For centers that qualify, this Recall repair is eligible to be performed and submitted as a Mobile Assistance OffSite Repair which includes an additional labor allowance.
Qualifying BMW centers are those that currently own and operate a Mobile Assistance Program vehicle. Other centers that may qualify are those who have officially registered their interest in conducting mobile service and mobile assistance work for the BMW Roadside Assistance Program.
If you have not already registered, please send an email with contact information to email@example.com.
Additional information can be found in the Mobile Assistance program guide in CenterNet, it is located under the Customer Relations menu.
Claim – Labor Reimbursement
When a vehicle is eligible for this Recall repair and it is performed under this program, qualifying centers will be reimbursed for the corresponding labor operation’s published AIR flat rate unit (FRU) allowance at a of rate of 150 percent. This mobile assistance repair work is subject to the same policy and procedures that apply to the warranty repair work being performed in your workshop.
Time Control and Documentation
While repair-specific punch times are not necessary for this repair work being performed on a vehicle off-site (outside your center), the on-call technician must still punch on the corresponding repair order (electronic or manual) prior to leaving your BMW center when he or she is dispatched. The technician must punch off the repair order upon their return to your center.
In cases where the technician is out on the road for an extended period of time (for example, on multiple calls), only one on/off punch time is required.
In addition to the Takata Air Bag Recall repair order line item, please open an additional line item as describe below:
|Defect Code:||85820269TK||Takata Recall – Mobile Assistance Off-Site Repair|
|Labor Operation||Labor Allowance||Description|
|65 99 000||# FRU*||Additional labor allowance to perform off-site repair through Mobile Assistance|
*Labor Calculation Example
If the special flat rate labor for the Takata Air Bag Recall has a stated allowance of 5 FRU, applying the rate of 150 percent, this repair will be reimbursed at a total of 8 FRU (Rounded up from 7.5) as a Mobile Assistance off-site repair:
Claim the additional 3 FRU or the applicable additional FRU amount using the defect code and labor operation provided above.
Round up half flat rate units when applicable.
Identify this line time as Additional labor for a Mobile Assistance off-site repair.
Itemize the additional labor claimed and explain the repair performed on the repair order and in claim comment section.
Labor operation code 65 99 000 is not considered a Main labor operation.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
With this Technical Campaign, a prior repair reimbursement is not likely. Typically, a customer would have their driver’s front air bag module replaced as a result of an accident. In such a case, either an insurance company or the customer themselves, paid for the replacement of the above mentioned air bag module in conjunction with the accident repairs. Such cases are not covered by this campaign and are not entitled to reimbursement.
B652019 Recall Notice
B652019 Procedure A
picture_as_pdf B652919V 19V-698_QA_2Oct2019.pdf
picture_as_pdf B652019 Recall Notice.pdf
picture_as_pdf B652019 Procedure A.pdf
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Delivery Stop & Recall 19V-698: Driver’s Front Air Bag Module – Prior Parts Replacement – B65 20 19
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective October 8, 2019) on a small number of Model Year 2000 through 2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles that were produced between June 23, 1999 and April 26, 2002.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Q1. Which models are included in this Safety Recall Campaign?
Q2. Which inflator is affected?
This recall campaign involves the Takata PSDI-4 inflator which entered the spare parts supply chain, and may have been installed in vehicles at dealers during service visits.
Q3. What is the fix?
The driver’s front air bag module will be checked and if a Takata PSDI-4 inflator is found, it will be replaced.
Q4. How long will the repair take?
Checking the air bag takes about 30 minutes; if the driver’s front air bag module needs to be replaced, it could take approximately one hour. Additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by any authorized BMW center.
Q5. Are final remedy parts for the recall available?
Q6. How will I be notified of this recall?
To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free of charge, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
Q7. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
No. You should make an appointment with an authorized BMW center immediately.
Q8. What options are available if it is too inconvenient for me to bring my vehicle to a BMW center for service? There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
Q9. If I had my driver’s front air bag module replaced prior, do I need to have it replaced again?
Yes. We need to check the driver’s front air bag module, and if a Takata PSDI-4 inflator is found, it will be replaced. Please contact your authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible.
I own a 2000-2006 BMW 3 Series that still needs to have the passenger’s front air bag replaced under recall 13V-172 or 14V-428. Can I get both air bag modules replaced at the same time?Absolutely! Your BMW center can perform both repairs in a single visit. Please let your service advisor know when you make an appointment and be sure to arrange alternate transportation if needed.
General Takata Questions
Q1. What is the specific concern?
Takata’s investigation to date indicates that exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity) could lead to over-aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.
Q2. What is desiccant?
Put simply, desiccant is a substance with properties that enable it to soak up water vapor from the air surrounding it.
Q3. Why are other BMW models not included?
Other vehicles have frontal air bags that were produced with different inflators.
Q4. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a crash where air bag system deployment occurs, the air bag inflator housing may rupture. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.
Q5. Is it possible to find out whether the problem exists in my car?
Q6. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
Q7. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, please contact a authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
You can check for open recalls a few different ways. You can check for open recalls by entering your vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.bmwusa.com/recall and download a sample owner notification letter and Q&A if your VIN is affected. You can also call or visit your local BMW center’s service department to determine if your BMW is affected. Make sure to update your contact information by registering at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
Q9. What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
Q10. Will BMW give me a loaner vehicle when my vehicle is being serviced for this recall?
Q11. Which states are considered to be high absolute humidity areas?
Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, South Carolina and U.S. Virgin Islands.
Q12. What determines the prioritized locations that are associated with the most at-risk vehicles – and what is the average propellant degradation time in each?
Per the NHTSA, geographic zones have been established based on the temperature fluctuations and humidity and the exposure time required under those environmental conditions to degrade the propellant to the point where it poses an unreasonable risk to safety. High Absolute Humidity (“HAH”) definitions are as follows:
|“HAH” or “A”||Time until unsafe propellant degradation is projected between 6-9 years.|
|“Non-HAH” or “Non-A”||Covers vehicles that have not been identified by the vehicle manufacturer as having been originally sold or ever registered in the HAH region. This includes Zones B and C.|
|“B”||Time until unsafe propellant degradation is projected between 10-15 years.|
|“C”||Time until unsafe propellant degradation is projected between 15-20 years.|
Q13. Am I eligible for reimbursement under the TREAD Act if I previously replaced my driver’s front air bag module?
In this particular recall, reimbursement is likely not applicable, as you would typically have replaced your frontal air bag module as a result of an accident. In that situation, most likely your insurance company paid for the repair. However, in the very unusual (unlikely) scenario that you previously paid to replace the front air bag module “out-ofpocket” upon learning of this possible defect, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Additional information is provided when BMW mails the letter asking you to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center.
Before installing the replacement part, the new air bag module’s serial number must be documented by the technician on the repair order so it can also be entered into the warranty claim’s comment section.
The safety regulations that apply when dealing with air bag modules MUST be complied with.
On vehicles with a basic steering wheel, the horn ring must be removed from the new part. To do so, proceed as follows:
1. Remove horn ring.
- Unplug the connector for the grounding cable (see the green arrow in the figure)
- Remove the nuts (see the blue mark in the figure, Torx 55).
- Take off the horn ring, making sure that the springs remain in place.
- Remove the horn contact plate.
- Separate components after disassembly:
Tightening torque: 5.0 +/- 0.2 Nm.
6. Check the horn function at all four corners.
7. Document the serial number: For reimbursement under warranty, the serial number for the new driver’s air bag module (see marking in the following figure) must be noted on the workshop order and on the warranty application. If the serial number is missing, the warranty application is rejected.
See repair instructions REP 32 34 020 “Remove and install / replace air bag units” to complete installation.
SI B65 20 19 – DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT October 2019
BMW / MINI BULK SHIPMENT PACKAGE REFERENCE GUIDE
1. Contact Takata:
– Dealers must contact Takata/XPO once every 2 weeks to schedule BULK and SINGLE recall airbag component
o Email: SCFieldAction.firstname.lastname@example.org
o Phone: 210-250-5079
– Takata/XPO will select the return type (bulk or single) based on the shipping quantities (LTL or FedEx PRP), and will
supply the dealer with the proper shipping documentation.
o If Takata instructs you to return the recall airbag components as a BULK SHIPMENT, please follow the
instructions outlined below.
o If Takata instructs you to return the recall airbag components as a SINGLE SHIPMENT, please follow the
instructions provided by Takata.
Place the recall airbag components neatly on a pallet,
and securely shrink-wrap them to the pallet.
Note: The total height of the pallet and boxes
cannot exceed 60 inches.
Securely attach the following labels on each
side of the shrink-wrapped pallet.
o Class 9 Label
o UN3268 Safety Device *
o OVERPACK USED *
*You can print these labels on letter
size white paper, using Microsoft Word.
For any other questions or concerns, please contact the WPRC: AirbagReturns@bmwna.com
NOTE: The information outlined in this document pertains to dealers within the Contiguous 48 States.
Dealers in Puerto Rico, the Hawaiian Islands, and Alaska CANNOT follow the shipping instructions outlined in this document; they
MUST contact the following Takata USA representative(s) directly, once every 2 weeks, for shipping instructions:
– Dealers in Puerto Rico, please contact: Juan.Armstrong@craneww.com
– Dealers in the Hawaiian Islands, please contact: Becky.Argyropoulos@craneww.com
Please make sure to include the required completed Hawaiian Hazardous Materials Shipping Certificate.
– Dealers in Alaska, please contact : SCTakataRestraints_International@xpo.com
Important: please be aware that there is an underscore ( _ ) in the above Alaska email address,
between the words “Restraints” and “International”.
Or call the Alaskan Representative; Armando Gonzales at 210-250-5039.
SI B65 20 19 – DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS REPLACEMENT October 2019
Defect Code: 0032480200
Safety Device Return Procedure for Airbag Recall
DO NOT USE THE “1.4 LABEL” AND DO NOT
FOLLOW ANY INSTRUCTIONS FOUND INSIDE
THE REPLACEMENT AIRBAG MODULE’S BOX.
DISREGARD THOSE INSTRUCTIONS AND DO
NOT RELABEL THE ORIGINAL BOX THAT WILL
NOW BE USED FOR RETURNING THE
As the shipper, your center is responsible for proper packaging and
The person packaging the airbag(s) must have received the Hazardous
Material training per 49CFR 172.702. Those training records must be on
file at your center.
The U.S. Department of Transportation (“DOT”) will impose substantial
fines and/or penalties on the shipper if the packaging, labeling, or
documentation is not properly prepared and the customer’s (center)
copy of the OP 900PRP form is not kept on file for a minimum of two (2)
SI B65 02 17 – RECALL 17V-047: DRIVER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE – PRIOR PARTS
CAMPAIGN DOF – CONTIGUOUS 48 STATE FEDEX GROUND SHIPMENT PREPARATION
As the shipper, you are responsible for proper packing and document completion. The person packaging
the module must have received hazardous material training per 49CFR 172.702, and the training records
must be on file at your dealership. The U.S. Department of Transportation will impose substantial fines
and/or penalties on the shipper if the packaging, labeling, or documentation is not properly prepared and
Customer Copy of OP 900PRP form is not kept on file for a minimum of 2 years.
IMPORTANT: Do not deploy the safety device. The person packing the used safety device must read and follow
the provided instructions.
Dealers must contact Takata/XPO once every 2 weeks to schedule BULK and SINGLE recall
airbag component shipments. Takata/XPO will select the return type (bulk or single) based on the
shipping quantities (LTL or FedEx PRP), and will supply the dealer with the proper shipping
NOTE: Dealers in Puerto Rico, the Hawaiian Islands, and Alaska CANNOT follow the shipping instructions
outlined in this document; they MUST contact the following Takata USA representative(s) directly, once every 2
weeks, for shipping instructions:
Dealers in Puerto Rico, please contact: Juan.Armstrong@craneww.com
Dealers in the Hawaiian Islands, please contact: Becky.Argyropoulos@craneww.com
Please make sure to include the required completed Hawaiian Hazardous Materials
Dealers in Alaska, please contact: SCTakataRestraints_International@xpo.com
Important: please be aware that there is an underscore ( _ ) in the above Alaska email
address, between the words “Restraints” and “International”.
Or call the Alaskan Representative; Armando Gonzales at 210-250-5039
For any other questions or concerns, please contact the WPRC: AirbagReturns@bmwna.com
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL – Final Remedy Available
This notice applies to your vehicle,
Recall Campaign No. 19V-698: Driver’s Air Bag Module
Dear BMW Owner / Lessee:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2000-2002 BMW 3 Series vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a vehicle in this recall.
What could happen?
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver’s air bag, excessive internal pressure could cause the air bag to explode, resulting in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers potentially resulting in serious injury or death. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers and passengers of this important information.
What will BMW do?
Your vehicle may have received a Takata inflator if the air bag module was replaced during a prior repair. The driver air bag module will be checked and if a Takata inflator is found, it will be replaced with a final remedy part. This free repair will take approximately one hour.
There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
Please schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed by an authorized BMW Center immediately. Visit www.bmwusa.com/dealer to locate your nearest BMW center. If you already had this repair performed at your own expense, please see the attachment regarding possible eligibility for reimbursement.
What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
You can update the vehicle ownership or your contact information by filling out the enclosed postage-paid card or by registering at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal Regulations require you to forward this notice to your lessee within ten days.
What if I have questions or experience problems?
Should you have any questions about this recall, please contact your authorized BMW center. If you need additional assistance, contact BMW Customer Relations and Services by calling 1-800-525-7417 or via email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
If your BMW center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
Please be assured that your safety is important to us and we sincerely apologize if this recall causes any inconvenience. We recommend that you and your passengers wear your seat belt at all times. Sincerely,
BMW of North America, LLC
Spanish translation on back side
Traducción en español en el lado inverso
IMPORTANTE RETIRADA POR MOTIVOS DE SEGURIDAD
Repuesto final disponible
Este aviso se aplica a su vehículo,
Campaña de retirada n.º 19V-698: Módulo de airbag del conductor
Noviembre de 2019
Estimado propietario o arrendatario de un vehículo BMW:
Le enviamos este aviso en virtud de la National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Ley Nacional de Seguridad de Tránsito y Vehículos). BMW AG ha determinado que algunos vehículos de los modelos de la Serie 3 de BMW, de los años 2000 a 2002, tienen un defecto relacionado con la seguridad de los vehículos motorizados. Según nuestros registros, usted es propietario de un vehículo que forma parte de esta retirada.
¿Qué podría suceder?
En caso de producirse un choque que requiriera la activación del airbag del conductor, la presión interna excesiva podría hacer explotar el airbag. Esto podría hacer que fragmentos metálicos golpearan al conductor o a otros pasajeros, lo que podría causar lesiones graves o la muerte. Si usted no es la única persona que conduce ese vehículo, comparta esta importante información con todos los demás conductores y pasajeros.
¿Qué hará BMW?
Es posible que su vehículo haya recibido un inflador Takata si se reemplazó el módulo de airbag en una reparación anterior. Se revisará el módulo de airbag del conductor y, si hay un inflador Takata, se reemplazará por una pieza de repuesto final. Esta reparación gratuita se llevará a cabo en aproximadamente una hora.
Hay algunas opciones en caso de que sea un inconveniente traer el vehículo para repararlo como, por ejemplo, reparación a domicilio, transportes alternativos, traslados de ida y vuelta, eventos de distribuidores autorizados y remolques. Comuníquese con su centro local de BMW para ver las opciones disponibles.
Programe una cita para que un centro de BMW autorizado le haga esta importante reparación gratuita de inmediato. Visite www.bmwusa.com/dealer para localizar el centro de BMW más cercano. Si ya ha hecho esta reparación por su cuenta, consulte el adjunto sobre la posible elegibilidad para recibir un reembolso.
¿Qué ocurre si no soy el propietario actual de este vehículo?
Puede actualizar la información de la titularidad del vehículo o su información de contacto completando la tarjeta con respuesta postal paga adjunta o registrándose en https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
Si usted es arrendador del vehículo, las reglamentaciones federales exigen que reenvíe este aviso a su arrendatario en un plazo de diez días.
¿Qué debo hacer si tengo alguna pregunta o algún problema?
Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre esta retirada, comuníquese con el centro autorizado de BMW. Si necesita asistencia adicional, comuníquese con el BMW Customer Relations and Services (Servicio de Atención al Cliente de BMW) llamando al 1-800-525-7417 o por correo electrónico a CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Si el centro de BMW no puede resolver el defecto sin cargo o en un plazo razonable, puede notificar al administrador de la National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (Administración Nacional de Seguridad de Tránsito en Carreteras), 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, llamar a la Vehicle Safety Hotline (Línea gratuita directa de seguridad vehicular) al 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) o visitar https://www.safercar.gov.
Le garantizamos que nos importa su seguridad y le pedimos sinceras disculpas si esta retirada le causa algún inconveniente. Recomendamos que usted y sus pasajeros utilicen el cinturón de seguridad en todo momento.
BMW of North America, LLC
English version on front side
Versión en inglés en el frente
9 Affected Products
10 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report – change to defect descriptionRCLRPT-19V698-3120
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-4RCLQRT-19V698-9859
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-1RCLQRT-19V698-0033
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-19V698-5165
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-19V698-1741
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-19V698-1860
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1RCLRPT-19V698-4085
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-2
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
1 Associated Investigation
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- [ABS & SRS Scanner with Active Test] The ABS/ SRS diagnostic tool Read & clear DTCs, displays live data in a graph to locate the cause of faults and assists the home mechanic with repairs and clearing ABS and airbag warning lights. Active test sensors, valves or solenoids etc. and tracks any threats in real time. It is invaluable to have a diagnostic tool with Active Test feature that you will never find on similar ABS/ SRS scanners.
- 【3 HOP Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this obd2 scanner, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a full featured obd2 code reader, allowing a quick test of the engine system of OBD II vehicles, can Read/Clear engine light codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, Evap Test, Read Vehicle Information, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles.
- [DTC LookUp Library] Can't read the code? Go to the DTC LookUp Library. The Topdon AL600 OBD2 scanner offers a wealth of code definitions so you don't have to look them up in a list or database, and the HELP function takes you to diagnostic tips for possible fixes, saving time searching for repair materials online. No other scan tool or code reader under $100 offers this level of assistance.
- [User-Oriented] You'll love the feel of this automotive scanner, with black rubber grips all around the outer edges for durability and to withstand accidental drops. With its easy access menu, you can operate all functions in minutes with just a few button presses. The 3-color LEDs give you a intuitive indication of the OBD2 test results in a second. 3 shortcut keys, one key to read/clear DTCs and a one-touch smoke status check make it easy to use even for beginners.
- 🎁 New Elite Version🎁 Easy to Use--Work out of Box🎁Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Lifetime Update🎁 5 YEARS Back Up.
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.(Note: Does not work for other System and does not have Special services!)
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advanced OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams include the Engine Coolant Temperature, Long&Short Fuel Trim, the change of Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor , Throttle valve position , Generator load signal,Fuel Tank Pressure , Engine RPM, Intake Ait Temperature and so on; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- 🎉【2023 Upgraded Ver. of AL519/ ML519/ ML619】Autel develops the brand-new AutoLink AL619 as the advanced ver. of Autel ML519, AL519, AL319, MS309. This AL619 OBD2 scanner can scan ABS & SRS systems, and support 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function on Worldwide Vehicles to read, erase codes and turn off the MIL, ABS, SRS warning lights so that you can better maintain your car when related malfunctions occur and make your vehicle ready for the annual test.
- 🎉【Accurate ABS/ SRS Diagnostics Functions】The ABS/ SRS diagnostic function is used to retrieve and clear codes from the ABS/ SRS systems. It can read and clear DTCs, show definitions of each code, display live data of multiple sensors in the graph to locate fault causes, and assist home mechanics to do the proper repair and clear ABS & Airbag warning lights. Diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models. Please email 📩 immoautel @ outlook. com 📩 for help.
- 🎉【All 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function】The OBD II Diagnostics function is a fast-access option that allows you to carry out a quick test on the engine system of OBD II vehicles. Read Codes, Erase Codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, DTC Lookup, Component Test, Viewing Vehicle Information, Modules Present.
- 🎉【Live Data and Freeze Frame Data】With Live Data functions, Autel AL619 OBD2 diagnostic code reader allows you to view the live PID (Parameter Identification Data) of the vehicle's computer module(s) in text, graph to check the status of various sensors. And Freeze Frame Data enables you to view the vehicle's operating parameters at the moment a DTC is detected. These information will aid the technician by allowing the parameters to be duplicated for diagnostic and repair purposes.
- 🎉【DTC Lookup Feature】Besides showing you the code’s definition while you are reading the diagnostic trouble codes, AL619 features comparably user-friendly DTC Lookup Function which enables you to retrieve the definitions of any error codes from the large database of AL619, saving you from the hassle of wasting time searching definition of every code via Google.
- 【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2023 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2023 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your cars and pinpoint the root cause, which saves you time and money. It will t-urn off the warning light car after the problem is fixed.👉TIPS: Airbag crash/collision data can NOT be cleared even you replace the new airbag.
- 【5 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100 USD), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- 【Solid protective case KO plastic carrying bag】+ 【Lifetime update】Almost all same price-level obd scanner diagnostic tool only offers plastic bag to hold on the scanner.However, NT604 Elite automotive scanner is equipped with solid protective case, preventing your obd2 scanner from damage. Then you don’t need to pay extra money to buy a solid toolbox.
- More Than a OBD Scanner - Based on the NT301 FOXWELL Scanner, NT630 Plus takes OBD diagnostics to the next level by customizing all functions for ABS and SRS systems. From reading to resetting error codes, this srs abs scanner provides in-depth insights and the ability to reset services efficiently. Plug to the vehicle’s OBD2 port and follow the instructions to start diagnosis.
- Top ABS Bleeder Scan Tool - The brake pedal was always slowly sinking down or becoming loose? This abs brake bleeding scan tool will bleed the brake system by cycling the pump and valves to achieve a tight brake pedal. No need to cost hundreds to own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed can solve your issues. Refer to the step on the screen, even a beginner can do it.
- Not Only Error Code Erase - Are you still pay for the reset functions one by one? The obd2 scanner with abs and srs can not only read car faults but also perform frequently required resetting services which other same priced scanners cannot do. Like airbag light reset/ SAS calibration/ Oil light reset and EPB service functions. This car scanner will make the components operates normally after part replaced and reset services.
- Also can Work like NT301 - The NT630 Plus car diagnostic scanner plugs to the OBD2 port directly. It scans all obd2 modules instantly, displays the live data, locates bad sensors and I/M readiness status before the annual inspection. Guides you to do the maintenance work, reduces the potential driving risk and keep a peak performance on the road.
- Complicate? Unreadable? - Intuitive LCD display with clear operate instructions, even a beginner can diagnose the car faults with the NT630 Plus. Ergonomic Touch with anti-collision and anti-slip cover design, comfortable for daily car diagnose work. Unique button press sound will provide the overall tactile and visual experience to notice you a task has been completed or a command has been executed.
- 【Buy with Confidence】 As a America's No.1 diagnostic tool brand, Innova stands for innovation, quality, and accessibility in the automotive diagnostic industry. we are known for developing cutting-edge diagnostic tools that are user-friendly, reliable, and made for US by Americans.
- 【Unleash Your Drive's Potential】Much more than a car code reader, the 6100P scanner effectively reads and erases engine, ABS, SRS, and transmission codes for popular US car makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GM, etc. when the traction light is constantly on,the ability to really detect where the problem is concerning brakes and airbags enables you to make sure all safety measures in place before putting yourself in harm's way.
- 【Your Car's Health Doctor】Easily view procedures or send commands for oil change, mileage or driving time reset for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles. it also monitors your oil level and oil life status, ensuring optimal vehicle health.
- 【Your Car's Personal Battery Guru】The Innova 6100P scanner is perfect for assessing the performance of the battery or alternator in your hybrid, car, SUV, minivan, or light truck diesel as well. During rough winters and scorching summers, this diagnostic tool will be invaluable when trying to root out start-up issues.
- 【Drive with Confidence and Peace】Quickly identify if your vehicle needs immediate attention with our Code Severity Levels function. This feature helps you understand whether you need to fix an issue immediately or if it can wait until you get home, keeping warning lights at bay.
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 【Multi-Function OBD2 Scanner】GODIAG GD203 code reader is a cost-effective products for your vehicle maintenance. This obd2 scanner does not only professional in checking the ABS/SRS systems, but also do a lot of special reset functions like Anti-lock Brake Reset, Electronic Park Brake Reset, Diesel Particulate Filter Reset, Oil Service Light Reset, TPMS, TPS/TBA, etc.
- 【ABS Bleeding Scan Tool】When the vehicle has replaced the ABS computer/ABS pump, replacing the brake master cylinder, brake cylinder, brake pipeline, and brake fluid, there may be air in the Car's ABS system. Our car diagnostic scanner can help you check for ABS bleeding, which you should perform the ABS bleeding to bleed the brake system to restore ABS braking sensitivity.
- 【ABS SRS Scan Tool】The function of airbags is to reduce the degree of injury to the people in the event of a vehicle collision. You need to check frequently whether the ABS SRS is functioning properly. Our code reader can help you find common airbag problems easily include: malfunctioning airbags, disconnected airbag wiring, and damaged airbag sensors.
- 【Oil Light Reset, EPA, SAS】If the brake pads are damaged, the brake pads should be replaced, and the brake pads need to be reset at the same time. When your car replaces the steering angle position sensor, the steering angle needs to be reset to find the relative zero where the car keeps driving straight. The oil light reset is required when the car oil or the mechanical parts that monitor oil life are replaced. Our obd2 scanner can do these jobs very well!
- 【Support 17 Languages and Multiple Car Models】Supported languages include English, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Swedish, Italian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Hungarian, Thai, Slovak, Dutch and Polish. This is a car scanner tool for ABS and SRS systems that supports most types of cars on the market. (Please Note: 28 special functions are excluded!)
- 🔧【PLUG AND PLAY - EASY TO USE】 : ANCEL FX2000 car scanner only takes 3 steps to connect to the car for diagnosis without cumbersome operations. The latest FX2000 scan tool is equipped with a one-key diagnosis function, which can automatically identify the model and year of your car, and automatically diagnose the car. Even beginners can use it to read the data and find out what the fault codes mean.
- 🚗【FULL OBD-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS TOOL】: Quickly determines the cause of engine system faults, reads current, permanent and pending codes. After the repair, clears the codes and turns off the warning light. In addition, the FX2000 engine code reader also displays important OBD II advanced data such as fuel, live data and other manufacturer-specific parameters in real time to ensure that the engine ECU is operating correctly and safely, saving vehicle owners a lot of time and money in maintenance.
- 🚙【TRANSMISSION FAULT DIAGNOSTIC TOOL】: Some noises come from the transmission? Ancel obd2 scanner will read fault codes, display live transmission system data (fluid temperature, fluid pump, clutch actuation, pressure, etc.), and ensures transmission performance is optimal for vehicle speed and load. It provides detailed TCM data of the vehicle, so you can quickly and accurately find existing or potential problems.
- 🚐【FIND OUT SRS WRONG】: ANCEL FX2000 automotive scanner is able to read and clear fault codes in the SRS (airbag) and turn off the warning light to make sure the system is working correctly and safely. This odb2 scanner also displays a live graphical data stream of the supplemental restraint system (air bag), which allows you to analyze and verify that the air bag system is working properly.
- 🚌【ABS OBD2 SCANNER】:The FX2000 diagnostic scanner for all vehicles can read and clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) data stream transmitted from the ABS. By retrieving the ABS code data, the obd scanner can check the various brake components and accurately diagnose problems.
Last update on 2023-11-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.