July 29, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V586000
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V586
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 11,216
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2014-2018 328d, 328d xDrive, X5 xDrive35d, 2014-2016 535d, 535d xDrive, 2015 740Ld xDrive, and 2015-2017 X3 xDrive28d vehicles. The high-pressure fuel pump may fail.
Dealers will replace the high-pressure fuel pump, free of charge. Interim owner notification letters were mailed on September 27, 2021. Owner notification letters were mailed on January 14, 2022. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
SIB 13 01 21
RECALL 21V-586: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 2) replaces SI B13 01 21 dated October 2021.
- Parts Section updated
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date||Affected engine type|
|F02||7 Series Sedan||March 10, 2014 – April 14, 2015||N57T|
|F10||5 Series Sedan||June 17, 2013 – July 22, 2016||N57T|
|F15||X5 Sports Activity Vehicle||December 20, 2013 – June 30, 2018||N57T|
|F25||X3 Sports Activity Vehicle||April 2, 2014 – December 20, 2016||N47T|
|F30||3 Series Sedan||July 1, 2013 – October 11, 2018||N47T|
|F31||3 Series Sports Wagon||July 15, 2013 – December 10, 2018||N47T|
Affected vehicles in the Model list above which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA NEXT or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
Certain specific vehicles in the Model list above will not require this Recall Campaign to be performed.
This safety recall involves certain vehicles which have either been manufactured with a specific highpressure fuel pump or have received this specific high-pressure fuel pump (replacement) during a service visit. Over time, and due to factors such as fuel quality, could cause the pump to shut down as a protective measure with a corresponding loss of vehicle propulsion.
Replace the High-Pressure Fuel Pump.
Replace the high-pressure pump according to the repair instruction 13 51 004 Removing and installing/replacing high pressure pump (N57T) or 13 51 017 Removing and refitting/replacing high pressure pump (N47T).
NOTE: Always check that the High-Pressure Pump is in line with the key on the High-Pressure Pump sprocket before installing the HPP.
Vehicle Cranks/No Start or Runs Poorly and has Fuel System-Related Faults Stored:
Do not install a new High-Pressure Fuel Pump if the vehicle exhibits a crank/no start condition (vehicle towed in), or a poor engine running behavior as to the fuel system-related faults stored. This can cause damage to the newly installed High-Pressure Fuel Pump when the engine is started.
Submit a TC TSARA case first to get further repair instructions when there is a crank/no start or a poor engine running condition.
Please monitor the Parts Matrix for ordering information.
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK (EPC) by VIN or model in place of using/invoicing the following part numbers may result with the wrong part numbers being invoiced and installed, this could delay the payment of the claim.
|13 51 7824476||High-pressure pump||1|
|13 53 7823483||HP pipe||1|
|13 53 7823484||HP pipe||1|
|11 61 8571005||Metal gasket||1|
|11 61 8512504||O-ring||1|
|11 61 8507335||Profile seal||6|
|11 61 7801943||Profile seal||1|
|11 61 8513295||Profile seal||1|
|11 14 8576339||Screw plug (M34x1.5)||1|
|13 51 7824477||High pressure pump (CP4.1 N47)||1|
|11 14 8576339||Screw plug (M34x1.5)||1|
*Other parts listed in previous Revisions no longer apply
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 21V-586: High Pressure Fuel Pump – B13 01 21
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Q1. Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Q2. What is the specific issue?
This safety recall involves vehicles which have either been manufactured with a high-pressure fuel pump, or received a high-pressure fuel pump during a service visit, that over time, and due to factors such as fuel quality, could cause the pump to shut down as a protective measure with a corresponding loss of vehicle propulsion.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other models are equipped with a different high-pressure fuel pump design.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you are notified by BMW to have this Safety Recall performed, please contact an authorized BMW center and schedule an appointment as soon as possible. For the latest updates to this Safety Recall, please visit bmwusa.com/recall. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
If you notice an engine warning lamp in the instrument cluster, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue. Please contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 immediately to have your vehicle brought to the nearest authorized BMW center.
Q6. How did BMW Group become aware of the issue?
BMW Group became aware of the issue through its quality control procedures.
Q7. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
Owners of potentially affected vehicles will be notified via First Class mail, advising them of this Safety Recall, and requesting them to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the remedy performed. Owners can locate their nearest authorized BMW center at bmwusa.com/dealer.
To ensure BMW has your recent contact and vehicle information, owners should visit bmwusa.com/recall and click on “Manage recall notices and contact information
Q8. How will my vehicle be remedied?
The high-pressure fuel pump will be replaced for free and should take about one hour.
Q9. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW Group is in the process of ensuring that the necessary tools, parts, and procedures are available prior to contacting you to schedule an appointment with your authorized BMW center to have this important Safety Recall performed.
In early 2019, an increasing number of high-pressure fuel pump warranty claims were noticed in certain vehicles equipped with Diesel engines in a non-US market. An engineering review was initiated. Warranty claims and other information from the field was reviewed. Fuel pump build level configurations were examined based upon field information and involved vehicle production dates.
Between January and April, preliminary analyses pointed to issues in a non-US market involving fuel quality. Additionally, it was suggested that the issue could primarily occur during engine start, or, could manifest as a short-term interruption of fuel supply to the engine and a reduction in engine performance.
Further analyses involving other potentially affected vehicles and fuel pump build level configurations were analyzed. Factors such as fuel quality, operating temperatures, seasonal influences (ambient temperature / relative humidity), and other parameters were reviewed to assess possible effects on pump performance. Meetings and reviews with the fuel pump supplier occurred.
Between May and July, analyses of returned parts were able to be performed. Initial indications pointed toward variations in fuel quality, but had yet to be confirmed. Tests were performed at the supplier in an attempt to reconstruct pump field performance and identify a root cause. Further analyses involving big data were performed.
In the second half of 2019, meetings occurred with the Korean Authority KATRI. Further analyses were conducted. Discussions involving various vehicle models and potential actions were explored.
Between January and June 2020, the big data analysis did not point to a specific root cause. Fuel pump testing continued. Further analysis indicated that most cases occurred during engine start-up, or while idling, or in a partial-load operating range, and accompanied by a warning lamp.
In the second-half of 2020, further analyses pointed to pump build level configuration and fuel quality as factors affecting pump performance, in particular, fuel flow concentration and rate, temperature, and pressure. Fuel pump design changes were explored and tested to help identify root cause when compared to existing and prior pump designs and performance. Additional discussions with KATRI occurred, further analyses were planned, and follow-up discussions with KATRI were set to occur in early 2021.
In early 2021, it was shown that the valve lifter of a certain pump build level configuration has a higher tendency to be affected due to the use of biodiesel aging products and low viscosity fuel. Additional factors such as the pump’s roll and cam profile were thought to contribute to performance degradation and unwanted pump wear for this build level configuration.
In mid-2021, further analyses and testing were performed, and discussions with the supplier occurred, to finalize and ensure that all analyses and test results were confirmed and accurately identified a root cause.
Vehicle assembly, parts supplier, and dealer service information was reviewed to determine the number and production dates of potentially affected vehicles.
On July 22, 2021, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary recall.
BMW has not received any reports, nor is otherwise aware, of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.
17 Affected Products
9 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document – Fuel Pump Chronology
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-21V586-2864
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V586-9645
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-21V586-7910
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Technical Service Message re 21V-586 High Pressure Fuel Pump Customer Letters (B13 01 21)RCMN-21V586-2055
Latest Recalls Documents
- Fully Automatic with a Manual Override, Eco-Friendly and Economically Conceived, the Activation 420 is The Next Generation of Herbal/Botanical Decarboxylators. Designed with an 800 Watt Heater and Thermostatically Controlled, the Activation 420 will give you Perfect Results Every Time. You can Decarb up to 2 Ounces of product with either of the Decarb Canisters included and one of them is divided should you wish to Separate and Decarb 2 different strains of product at the same time.
- An LED Digital Control Panel and State-of-the-Art Microprocessor both allow for easy operational precision with each use. Dual Wall and Food Grade 304 Stainless Steel with a Slip Resistant Powder Coated Exterior ensures maximum strength, insulation, and performance. Whether you use the designated predetermined setting or use the DIY settings, usage is a snap.
- The STX International Activation 420 comes with a Main Decarboxylator Power Unit that is Manufactured from BPA Free High Impact Polystyrene and Food Grade Stainless Steel. Also Included is a Lid for Canisters while Decarbing, a Lockable Lid for the Main Power Unit, 2 Aluminum Alloy Decarboxylating Canisters, 2 Silicone Lids so you can use the 2 Canisters for Storage and Fully Illustrated Instructions for Easy Understanding of All Aspects of the Product.
- The STX International Activation 420 is in NO Manner Affiliated with any other Manufacturer's Decarboxylating Machines or their Parent Companies. This Activation 420 Decarboxylator comes with a 30-Day No Hassle Return Option & a 3-Year Warranty with the Cost of Labor/Parts Included for repair service. The 3-year warranty is Only Valid when purchased Directly from Paradigm Alley USA and is included with no additional warranty necessary. Please Scroll Down for More Information on this Product!
- DECARB & INFUSE QUICKLY - Stop burning, over-heating and under-activating your herbs and flowers. Activate 97% of your plant with Ardent mini decarboxylator designed with high-grade material and the latest of kind patented technology. Decarb your herbs, and flowers and infuse with oil, butter, or MCT oil with just one click.
- BAKE PRECISELY- DUAL TEMPERATURE SETTING: Adjust just the right temperature because the Ardent infuser machine gives you two settings A1 and A2 and pre-set timing cycles to produce consistent & premium-grade batches. Heat precisely down to a single degree and max out the terpene content. One infusion button adds further convenience, simplicity, and precision to your tincture or infusion-making process.
- MAKE EDIBLES ON AUTO-PILOT: Put an end to hours taking in decarboxylation and infusion process and juggling with a complex menu of settings and continually watching your product, Ardent gets your job done with one click because mini requires no prep time or additional substances.
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION AND ELEGANT DESIGN: If you are looking for an oil infuser for herbs, flowers, and tinctures that stores easily on your counter, functions seamlessly, and looks classy, look no further than the Ardent decarb box because it's a stylish design, simple operation and high-end construction make it highly sought after decarb machine right now.
- ONE-YEAR WARRANTY: We strongly believe that our US-made mini if used with care will remain the best cooking companion in your kitchen. The sturdy design and fine grade material with durable construction make it a built-to-last device. However, one year warranty keeps your investment super-safe.
- Product Type: Cleaning Agent
- Package Dimensions: 5.842 L X 5.842 W X 20.32 H (Cm)
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Package Weight: 0.85 Pounds
- New design with food-grade 304 stainless steel canister and glass Lid will allow users a better, smell proof and clean experience for making herbal edibles oils
- Wide range temperature（130℉-295℉） & time adjustment（20-240 Min). Highlight 5 classic temperatures setting for decarbing herbs, herbal oil, cannabutter and tincture making etc
- Glass lid lets you be able to see the entire process especially for monitoring tincture evaporation
- Premium canister capacity which can hold up to 550ML oil for infusion and 1.5 ounces herbs for decarboxylation
- 2-years warranty , please contact customer service if you need to fulfill any warranty issue or if you need the recipes
- Elegant open decanter carafe allows for your wine to breath thereby unleashing its full potential of aromas and flavors. Can be used for red wines or white wines.
- Classic design decanter with carefully crafted slanted top makes pouring a breeze and avoids unwanted spills and drips.
- Lead Free Crystal. Capacity: 750ml - Holds up to a full bottle of wine.
- Since 1973 Godinger has specialized in handcrafted silver, pewter, crystal, stainless, and alternative metal giftware. From candlesticks, barware, bakeware, tea sets and frames, you are sure to find the perfect item for any special occasion. Godinger products are available at all major retailers across the US and Canada.
- ♨️ Fully Activate – Fully activate up to 2 ounces of herbs with the push of a button. Enjoy a stronger final product by baking at precise temperatures (ovens can vary widely, causing loss of potency). Infusion Buds offers fully customizable temperatures from 160 F up to 250 F
- 👍 ODERLESS - Air-tight, silicon canister lid & locking outer lid designed to keep smells inside.
- ✔️FAST & SIMPLE - Ready to use in as little as 30 minutes with all your favorite recipes: brownies, cookies, smoothies, sauces, gummies, beverages and more!
- 📗 ENDLESS RECIPES W/ EBOOK: Use your perfectly activated herbs with any of your favorite recipes or try some of the dozens of recipes and tips included in your eBook!
- 💯1 YEAR WARRANTY: As an American owned startup, we stand behind our product and include a warranty card with every purchase. Furthermore, we offer a 30-Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee if it fails to meet your expectations for any reason.
- Premium Fabric: The modest two-piece swimsuit is well made and of high quality with a high-waisted retro design.We recommend that if you like loose, you can choose one size up.
- Design: Two-piece elegant swimsuit with padded padding and fitted shorts. Removable and replaceable pads. Boyshorts with elastic straps make them comfortable to wear and show off your perfect hip and leg line. Full coverage gives you a sense of security.
- Abdominal Control: The vest is long enough to cover your tummy and minimize your waist and hips. Shorts and tank tops with just the right length make you feel more secure when sitting, stooping, or swimming.
- Suitable for wearing scene: This modest vintage swimwear is perfect for surfing, beach, pool, honeymoon, summer vacation, and other water activities. It is also a suitable gift choice for your family, friends, girlfriend, or wife.
- Washing instructions: It is recommended to wash in cold water, with high color fastness, no fading, precision sutures, and no deformation.
- Formulated for Use In All Fuel-Injected Gasoline Engines, Including GDI
- Contains Polyetheramine (“PEA”) to Dissolve Carbon Buildup in Combustion Chambers
- Cleans ALL Types of Intake Valves, Including Those Found in PFI, TBI, and GDI Engines
- Safe On Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors
- Not For Use In Diesel Engines
Last update on 2022-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.