June 30, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V379000
Inaccessible Child Seat Tether Anchor/FMVSS 225
A child restraint system placed on the vehicle’s rear middle seat without utilizing the three-point safety belt, could increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V379
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components CHILD SEAT
Potential Number of Units Affected 16
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020-2021 740Li, 740 Li xDrive, 750Li xDrive, M760Li xDrive, and Alpina B7 vehicles. The top child seat tether anchor on the rear middle seat may not be readily accessible. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 225, Section 6.1(b) “Child Restraint Anchorage Systems.”
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install a top tether anchor cover at the rear middle seating position. Until vehicles are remedied, owners will be instructed to utilize the outboard rear seating positions which are equipped with an accessible top tether anchor, or, the middle rear seating position and the vehicle’s three-point safety belt. The recall began August 20, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Check if your BMW has a Recall
SIB 51 21 20
RECALL 20V-379: TOP TETHER ANCHOR COVER
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 1) replaces SI B51 21 20 dated June 2020.
What’s New (Specific text highlighted):
- Complete bulletin content added
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|G12||7 Series Sedan||July 11, 2019 – March 16, 2020|
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
BMW AG is conducting a Voluntary Non-Compliance Recall (effective June 23, 2020) on a small number of Model Year 2020-2021 BMW 7 Series that were produced between July 11, 2019 and March 16, 2020.
The top tether anchor at the rear center seating position, may not be accessible. If a child seat was placed on the rear center seat, the child seat’s top tether would not be able to be attached to the vehicle.
Recall notice and Q&A have been attached for further information.
An incorrect trim panel was installed during production.
Inspect the armrest trim and the top tether cover. Replace if necessary.
- Inspect the trim panel above the center arm rest, in the area of the rear parcel shelf (area circled below). Does the trim panel have a tether cover as shown? Note: No trim panel tether cover on left (bad). Trim panel tether cover is in place on right (OK).
If trim panel tether cover is installed, no further correction is required.
If trim panel tether cover is not installed, continue to step 2.
- Replace the top armrest trim and tether cover. Repair instructions are included within REP 52 25 280 “Removing and installing the center armrest”.
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Depending on the vehicle equipment (color) (see EPC) to ensure P/N ordered from the list below corresponds to the P/N listed in ETK/AIR by VIN.
|51 46 7 410 450||Armrest trim at the top||1|
|51 46 7 410 452||Armrest trim at the top||1|
|51 46 7 990 226||Armrest trim at the top||1|
|51 46 7 990 227||Armrest trim at the top||1|
|51 46 7 990 228||Armrest trim at the top||1|
|51 46 7 442 767||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 410 455||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 442 769||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 410 459||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 990 217||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 990 218||Top tether cover in the center||1|
|51 46 7 990 219||Top tether cover in the center||1|
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the applicable work package information below, and when required, the part numbers listed above that apply:
Completion before the first vehicle delivery to a customer or the vehicle is already in the workshop
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Plus work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 1||00 69 749||Checking the top tether trim panel (No replacement necessary)||3 FRU|
|# 2||00 69 750||Replacing the top tether trim panel||3 FRU|
The vehicle arrives at your center and this Recall shows open (No other main work will be performed or claimed during this workshop visit)
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Main work)||Labor
|# 3||00 69 223||Checking the top tether trim panel (No replacement necessary)||5 FRU|
|# 4||00 69 224||Replacing the top tether trim panel||5 FRU|
Only one of the flat rate labor operation codes listed above can be used for claim submission/reimbursement purposes. Also, only one Main work flat rate labor operation code can be claimed per workshop visit.
Claim Repair Comments
Only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and the claim comments (For example: B51 21 20 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
Based on the issue and age of the Affected Vehicles being addressed by this Safety Recall Campaign, a reimbursement request for a qualifying prior customer-pay repair is not likely.
However, if you receive a reimbursement request from a customer for a prior repair that may qualify, please contact the Warranty department (include a legible copy of the invoice) through IDS by selecting Coverage, Policy, Coding Questions and Mileage Corrections. The Warranty department will review and respond to your inquiry accordingly.
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS BULLETIN
|Technical inquiries||Submit feedback at the top of this bulletin|
|Warranty inquiries||Submit an IDS ticket to the Warranty Department|
|Parts inquiries||Submit an IDS ticket to the Parts Department|
picture_as_pdf B512120 Recall Notice.pdf
Attachment to B51 21 20
NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 20V-379: Top-Tether Anchor – B51 21 20
BMW AG is conducting a Voluntary Non-Compliance Recall (effective June 23, 2020) on a small number of Model Year 2020-2021 BMW 7 Series that were produced between July 11, 2019 and March 16, 2020.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Attachment to B512120
Non-Compliance Recall 20V-379
Top-Tether Anchor Cover – Rear Center Seat
Model Year 2020-2021
BMW 7 Series
Last Update: 07/01/2020
Q1. Which BMW models in the US are potentially affected by this Non-Compliance Recall?
A very small number of Model Year 2020-2021 BMW 7 Series in the US, produced between July 2019 and March 2020, are potentially affected.
Q2. What is the specific issue?
At the rear center seating position, the top-tether anchor cover may not allow access to the anchor. If a child seat was placed on the rear center seat, the child seat’s top-tether may not be able to be attached to the vehicle.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Non-Compliance Recall?
Other models contain a top-tether anchor cover at the rear center seating position that allows access to the anchor.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter from BMW advising you of this recall, and indicating that parts are available, you should make an appointment to have this important Non-Compliance Recall performed by an authorized BMW center as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
Yes. If you cannot access the top-tether anchor at the rear center seating position, then your vehicle is affected.
Q5a. What should I do if my vehicle does not allow access to the top-tether anchor at this location?
If you need to install a child seat, top-tether anchors are available at the rear outboard (left, right) seating positions. Alternatively, the child seat could be installed at the rear center seating position using the vehicle’s safety belt.
Q6. How did BMW become aware of the issue?
BMW became aware of the issue through our quality control procedures.
Q7. How will I be informed of this Non-Compliance Recall?
Letters will be mailed to owners in August via First Class mail advising them of this Non-Compliance Recall and requesting them to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the remedy performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealer. To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give them access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q8. How will my vehicle be remedied?
The top-tether anchor cover at the rear center seating position will be replaced for free and will take about one hour.
Q9. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of ensuring that the necessary parts, tools, and procedures are available at authorized BMW centers prior to contacting owners to have this important Non-Compliance Recall performed. For the latest updates to this Non-Compliance Recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
IMPORTANT NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle, [INSERT VIN].
Recall Campaign No. 20V-379: Top-Tether Anchor Cover
Remedy is Available
City, state, zip
Dear BMW Owner / Lessee:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that certain Model Year 2020-2021 BMW 7 Series vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) Number 225 (Child restraint anchorage systems). Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.
Why are we contacting you?
We are pleased to inform you that we are ready to perform this recall. Please contact your authorized BMW Center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible. To locate your nearest BMW center, visit www.bmwusa.com/dealer. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers and passengers of this important information.
What could happen?
At the rear middle seat position, the top-tether anchor for a child seat is not readily accessible. Therefore, if you place a child seat at the rear middle seat position, and do not attach it using the safety belt, this could increase the risk of injury to the child in a crash. Until your car is remedied, a child seat could be placed at the rear middle seat position and secured using the safety belt, or the child seat could be placed at the left or right “outboard” seat position and secured using the top-tether anchor and the lower (“latch”) attachments.
What will BMW do?
An appropriate top-tether anchor cover will be installed at the rear middle seat position. This free repair will take about one hour. There may be some options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service, if needed. Contact your local BMW center to check what may be available.
What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
If you changed your address or sold the vehicle, please let us know by visiting www.bmwusa.com/mybmw or by contacting BMW Customer Relations (see left side of page for contact info). If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal Regulations require you to forward this notice to your lessee within ten days.
What if I have additional questions?
For the latest updates to this recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall. Should you have any questions about this recall, please contact your authorized BMW center. If you need additional assistance, please contact BMW Customer Relations.
If your BMW center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
Please be assured that your safety is important to us, and we sincerely apologize if this recall causes any inconvenience. We recommend that you and your passengers wear your safety belt at all times. Sincerely,
BMW of North America, LLC
8 Affected Products
8 Associated Documents
Non-Compliance 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Broadcast re Recall for Top-Tether Anchor
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-4
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-3
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-1
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Latest Recalls Documents
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (5-40 pounds) to forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds) to highback booster (40-100 pounds)
- Slim design with dual integrated cup holders that rotate away, making the seat 10% slimmer to save valuable back seat space
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: A combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes
- No-rethread simply safe adjust harness system allows the headrest and harness to adjust together in one motion
- Choose the perfect headrest height from 10 positions to get the safest fit for your child as they grow
- With 2 modes of use, this extra comfortable LATCH equipped Cosco car seat accommodates infants from 5 pounds up to toddlers weighing 40 pounds in rear facing mode and kids up to 65 pounds in forward facing mode. Its compact design also makes it easier to manage through airport security checks
- The 5 point harness adjusts easily from the front of the seat and features 5 heights and 3 buckle locations. Fits 3 across in the back seat of most vehicles
- Built in side impact protection keeps your little 1 extra secure; Designed to be just the right size, the seat takes up less space while rear facing so parents can have more leg room
- Three of these seats can fit side by side in the back seat of most cars, perfect for growing families
- With plush padding and premium fabric, this seat gives your child an extra comfy ride; Easy to clean, the fabric car seat cover is machine washable and dryer safe
- Extended Use: forward-facing with harness, 30-65 pounds and Belt-positioning Booster, 40-120 pounds
- Designed to fit 3 ACROSS in most vehicles - Great for growing families and car pools
- Lightweight and easy to move from car to car
- Deluxe fabric gives kids a comfy ride
- Adjustable headrest allows for customizable support
- 3-in-1 car seat grows with your child from rear-facing harness (5-40 lb) to forward-facing harness (22-65 lb) to highback booster (40-100 lb)
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that help to protect your child in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes
- No-Rethread Simply Safe Adjust Harness System allows the headrest and harness to adjust together in one motion
- Choose the perfect headrest height from 10 positions to get the safest fit for your growing child
- 6-position recline keeps your child comfy and helps for a better installation
- With two modes of use, this LATCH-equipped Cosco car seat accommodates infants from 5 pounds up to toddlers weighing 40 pounds in rear-facing mode and kids up to 40 pounds in forward-facing mode.
- The five-point harness adjusts easily from the front of the seat and features six heights and three buckle locations.
- In both the rear-facing and forward-facing modes, built-in side-impact protection keeps your little one extra secure.
- Easily remove the machine-washable and dryer-safe car seat pad to clean.
- Perfect for travel, the seat is certified for use on aircraft and gives your child a familiar seat during a flight.
- 3-in-1 harness booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth
- Grows with your child from forward-facing harness (22-65 pounds) to highback booster (40-100 pounds) to backless booster (40-100 pounds) to continue to meet industry standards, we have increased the weight minimum from 30 to 40 pounds
- No-rethread simply safe adjust harness system allows the headrest and harness to adjust together in one motion.Do not use bleach
- Lightweight, portable seat is ideal for busy, active parents
- One-hand, 8-position adjustable headrest grows with your child
- 4 in 1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: seamlessly transforms from rear facing harness car seat (4 40 pounds), to forward facing harness car seat (22 65 pounds), to high back belt positioning booster (40 100 pounds), to backless belt positioning booster (40 120 pounds)
- Graco protect Plus engineered helps to protect Your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes
- Simply safe adjust harness system adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that Your child is always properly secured.Do not use bleach
- 6 position recline helps keep your growing child comfy on Your many journeys together
- The Graco exclusive In right Latch attachment provides an easy, one second attachment with an audible click to help ensure secure installation
- 2 Modes - Converts to booster: Forward-facing harness with belt-positioning booster supports children 22-110 pounds. The height recommendation of a child in harnessed booster is 28-50 inches and in the seat belt booster mode, it is 44-57 inches
- 5-Point Harness with 50 pounds. Limit: Holds child's body safely and securely in the car seat
- Upfront Harness Adjust: Central, front access to the harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child's harness for an accurate, snug fit
- Shoulder Belt Guide: Automatically positions the vehicle belt in the proper position for your child
- Dual Cup Holders: 2 built-in cup holders keep drinks and snacks within reach - allows driver to stay focused on the road
- Built to grow: The 3 in 1 car seat built to grow for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds, forward facing 22 to 65 pounds, and belt positioning booster 40 to 100 pounds
- Side impact protection: The grow and go’s side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- Easy in, easy out: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it is easy to get your child in and out of the seat. Rear facing height is 19 to 40 inches. Forward facing height is 29 to 52 inches
- Quickfit harness: With the quickfit harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- Wash and dry: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; No fuss for truly easy cleaning
- 5-POINT HARNESS SECURITY: Two position points at each shoulder, two position points at the child's hips, and one point where the harness buckles between the legs to give your child the best possible protection
- 3-HARNESS POSITION: There are three slots to position the harness shoulder straps depending on the age and height of your child. Shoulder straps should be at or just above the shoulders
- TWO MODE OPTIONS: Forward-facing five-point harness car seat is made for children between 22 and 65 pounds and 29 to 49 inches in height. Convert to a belt-positioning booster seat for older kids between 30 and 100 pounds and 38 to 57 inches in height
- SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety "Best Bet" rating for booster car seats; exceeds Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS 213)
- ADDED COMFORT: Three-position adjustable height headrest is equipped with energy-absorbing EPS foam. Two cup holders provide added convenience to hold drinks or store treats and small trinkets
Last update on 2023-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.