June 15, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V355000
A damaged or fractured tie rod may affect vehicle handling and control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V355
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 2,779
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2019 Z4 sDrive30i, 2019-2020 330i xDrive, M340i and M340i xDrive, 2020 X3M and X4M, and Toyota Supra vehicles. In certain driving conditions, such as high temperatures and rough road surfaces, a steering gear tie rod may become damaged, possibly resulting in a fractured tie rod.
BMW and Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gear tie rods, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin August 7, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417 or Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 32 01 20
RECALL 20V-XXX: STEERING GEAR TIE ROD
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|G20||3 Series Sedan||October 30, 2018 – July 5, 2019|
|F97||X3 M Sports Activity Vehicle||March 11, 2019 – April 9, 2019|
|F98||X4 M Sports Activity Coupe||March 11, 2019 – April 10, 2019|
|G29||Z4 Roadster||November 5, 2018 – February 26, 2019|
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
The steering gear tie rod may not have been produced to specifications by the supplier. Over time, the tie rod could become damaged and eventually break, affecting vehicle handling and control, and increasing the risk of a crash.
The recall notice and Q&A have been attached for further information.
The bulletin will be updated when additional information becomes available.
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 20V-xxx: Steering Gear Tie Rod – B32 01 20
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Q1. Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall? Certain Model Year 2019-2020 BMW 3 Series, Z4, X3M SAV, and X4M SAC models in the US, produced between October 30, 2018 and July 5, 2019, are potentially affected.
Q2. What is the specific issue?
The steering gear tie rod may not have been produced to specifications by the supplier. Over time, the tie rod could become damaged, affecting vehicle handling and control, and increasing the risk of a crash.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
The tie rod in other models was produced to specifications by the supplier.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter requesting you to make an appointment to have this Safety Recall performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
If you hear an unusual noise, and/or notice vibration from the steering wheel, or from the front of the vehicle, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue. If this occurs, carefully move away from traffic and pull over to a safe location as soon as possible. If it is safe to do so, all occupants should carefully exit the vehicle and move to a safe location away from traffic. Do not continue to drive the vehicle. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 immediately to have your vehicle brought to the nearest authorized BMW center.
Q6. How did BMW Group become aware of the issue?
BMW Group became aware of the issue through our quality control procedures.
Q7. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
Letters will be mailed to owners in August via First Class mail advising them of this Safety Recall and requesting them to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the remedy performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealer. To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give them access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q8. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The steering gear tie rod will be replaced for free and will take about one hour.
Q9. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW Group is in the process of ensuring that the necessary tools, parts, and procedures are available prior to contacting you to schedule an appointment with your authorized BMW center to have this important Safety Recall performed. For the latest updates to this Safety Recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
8 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re BMW Recall 20V-xxx: Steering Gear Tie Rod
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Notification re Three 2020 Model Year Supras Potential Loss of Vehicle Control due to Tie Rod Assembly(s) Fracture
Defect Notice 573 Report
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- ALL IN ONE FRONT END SERVICE KIT: Containing 5 adjustable tools for a wide range of domestic and import vehicles. Comes with 1x Ball Joint Separator, 1x Tie Rod and Ball Joint Remover, 1x Conical Pitman Arm Puller, 1x Pitman Arm and Tie Rod End Puller, 1x Pitman Arm Puller, 1x well-organized ABS case.
- HARDENED ALLOY CONSTRUCTION: Extraordinarily tough and durable alloy means these tools can stand up to the toughest jobs. This front end service tool kit can remove the most stubborn ball joints, tie rod ends, and pitman arms.
- UNIVERSALLY COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF VEHICLES: The versatile design allows this tool to be used as a pitman arm remover, ball joint separator, or tie rod end puller for many small, domestic rear-wheel-drive vehicles, import vehicles, and light trucks.
- PROFESSIONAL PORTABLE ABS CASE: The custom-molded case is crafted from high-quality ABS hard plastic for the amateur or professional mechanic on the go. Conveniently keeps all your tools in one organized and secure place. Never miss out on a job or project from a misplaced tool.
- ORION MOTOR TECH PROMISE: If any issues from our tools arise please don’t hesitate to contact us. We guarantee the quality of our tools and want to ensure you’re only getting the best. Because to do perform your best, you deserve the best, that’s our Orion Motor Tech Promise.
- Practical: Use the ABN Inner Tie Rod Tool 3/8” Inch to remove inner tie rods without having to extract outer tie rods
- Compatible: For all standard tie rods with smooth cylinder ends; Will work on any rod that fits between the 3” top and bottom components with both 9/16” nuts screwed on and tightened
- Easy to Use: Slide tool over end and tighten collar to allow access with a 3/8” drive extension; adapters can be used for larger breaker bars/extensions
- Strong Grip: Tool teeth grip the tie rod securely as you plug in a socket wrench or breaker bar and turn as necessary
- Convenient: Compact/low profile design means no bulky tool to store; Inexpensive and effective way to turn smooth tie rod ends
- Includes 12 Sizes of Crowfoot Style Adapters: 1-3/16", 1-1/4", 1-5/16", 1-3/8", 1-7/16", 1-1/2" and 29 mm, 32. 5 mm, 33. 6 mm, 38. 4 mm, 40 mm, 42 mm
- Crowfoot Adapters are Nickel Plated for Durability
- Tube Handle Inner Diameter is 2. 125 In. to Service Small Cars, Pick-ups and Large SUVs
- 1/2 Inch Drive Tube Handle Makes it Easy to Remove and Re-install to Proper Torque
- Comes in a Blow Mold Case
- 【 Exclusive Design 】 EWK Inner Tie Rod Tool Set makes it easy to remove and re-install inner tie rods without removing the rack and pinion. Fits tie rods for rack and pinion steering on most Chrysler, Ford, GM, truck, SUV vehicles.
- 【 Wide Application 】 1-3/16” for Ford front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles of new style tie rods; 1-5/16” for Ford rear-wheel drive (RWD) and most Chrysler vehicles with racks and pinion power steering of new style tie rods; 1-7/16” for GM and Chrysler cars with Saginaw in steering gear.
- 【 Comprehensive Kit 】 Includes a inner tie rod wrench and 3 sizes hex adapters. Constructed from durable chrome steel for long lasting quality. This tie rod remover tool set works with your 1/2” drive wrench.
- 【 Simple Operation 】 EWK Tie Rod Puller Tool makes the difficult job a breeze. Complete the hassle job with right tools!
- 【 Best Seller on Amazon 】 Highly recommend by professional mechanics. Qualified ISO and TUV manufacturing process. EWK provides you premium quality tools with 12 months warranty. Service and Safety guaranteed!
- Used to remove and mount inner tie rods on vehicles
- Fits 35-45mm tie rods with no additional Interchangeable adapters
- For use on round, hexagonal, and octagonal tie rods
- Extended shaft and narrow profile allows for use in hard-to-reach and confined spaces
- Made in France
- Case is designed to hold up to 4 additional crow's feet as new applications are discovered
- Works on inner tie rods with inaccessible wrench flats
- Item Package Dimension: 18.5" L x 7.5" W x 3.25" H
- Item Package Weight: 5.0 lb
- MAKE TIE ROD ADJUSTMENTS: The ABN | Master Inner Tie Rod Tool Removal 4-Piece Kit is an inner tie rod remover set that allows you to save time by making adjustments without removing the rack and pinion to access hard-to-reach tie rods; For the most operational stability and security, dismantle and replace your tie rods with this tie rod end removal tool kit; For steering repairs and front-end work where access is limited
- FITS YOUR VEHICLE: Fits rounded tie rods for rack and pinion steering on most Chrysler, Ford, and GM vehicles; 1-3/16-inch adapter compatible with Ford front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles with new style tie rods; 1-5/16-inch adapter compatible with Ford rear-wheel drive (RWD) and most Chrysler vehicles with racks and pinion power steering with new style tie rods; 1-7/16-inch adapter compatible with GM and Chrysler cars with saginaw in steering gear
- BUILT TO LAST: Tie rod remover tool has a 1/2-inch square drive to work with your existing 1/2-inch drive wrench (not for power tools); Constructed from black coated steel for maximum strength and longevity
- EASY STORAGE: Heavy-duty 16.75” x 2.25” x 7.5” inch (42.5cm x 5.7cm x 19.1cm) plastic blow-molded carrying case with 2 latches and built-in handle for easy transportation, safe storage, and quick organization
- PACKAGE CONTENTS: Tie rod end removal tool set includes (1) dual socket rapid slide collar inner tie rod tool (1‐3/16-inch and 1‐5/16-inch hex), (3) adaptors (1‐3/16, 1‐5/1, 1‐7/16 inch adapters with 1‐5/16 inch hex), and (1) carrying case for your convenience
- For separating the ball joint from the spindle support arm on domestic and import front wheel drive vehicles
- Adjustable for different size ball joints
- 1-1/8" & 2-1/8" (30 & 56mm) maximum opening capacity
- Slot is 7/8" Wide by 1-1/4" Deep
- Use with a 15/16" Socket
- 【Useful For Many Jobs】This tie rod wrench is applicable to various vehicles including Mercedes Benz, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Ford, Nissan and many more
- 【Precise and Effective】WOWOSS inner tie rods tool is designed specifically for the removal of the direction of the steering rod
- 【Simple Solution】WOWOSS inner tie rods wrench easily replaces inner tie rod ends quickly and effectively
- 【Special Design】WOWOSS inner tie rod removal tool can be used with 1/2" Square drive tools
- 【Wide Application】27-42mm diameter without removing the rack and pinion makes this tool both versatile and effective
- FITS MOST PASSENGER VEHICLES: Adjustable for different size ball joints; max. opening range: 1-1/8 inch and 2-1/8 inch
- HEAVY DUTY: Ball joint separator features a strong all-steel construction and black-oxide coated pins
- EASY TO USE: The ball joint separator is easy to use; all you’ll need is a 3/4 inch socket and grease
- CARRYING CASE INCLUDED: Comes in a sturdy blow-mold case
- FULL SPECIFICATIONS: Adjustable for different size ball joints; Max. opening range: 1-1/8 inch and 2-1/8 inch; Steel construction with black-oxide coated pins; Comes in a sturdy blow-mold case; Fork opening measures 7/8 inch
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API