March 19, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V165000
A loose connection between the final drive and swing arm will reduce stability and control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V165
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 4
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020 R1250GS and R1250RT motorcycles. The pivot pin that connects the final drive to the swing arm may be damaged, causing the connection between the final drive and swing arm to loosen.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 33 01 20
RECALL CAMPAIGN 20V-165 REAR DRIVE PIVOT PIN
|K50||R 1250 GS (0J93)|
|K51||R 1250 GS Adventure (0J53)|
|K52||R 1250 RT (0J63)|
In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Campaign, it will be necessary to verify all VIN’s through AIR (Aftersales Information Research). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the repair or take no further action. Please note, VIN’s in DCS Vehicle History Check may not appear until 24-72 hours after the release of this bulletin, therefore AIR is the recommended method for determining open campaigns.
This Service Information Bulletin replaces delivery stop “STOP330004.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motorcycle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that dealers may not legally deliver new motorcycles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall.
Note also that:
Substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act
You should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used motorcycles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
The material of the pivot pin, which connects the swinging arm with the bevel gears, does not meet the required level of quality and could break while riding. The screw connection of the swinging arm to the bevel gears can then become loose, affecting riding stability and control.
Figure 1: Affected pivot pin (circled)
As of February 3, 2020 motorcycles are produced with pivot pins produced to specifications.
Replace the pivot pin as described in the attached repair instructions.
|33 17 8 375 112||Bearing Journal||1|
|07 12 9 907 075||ISA Bolt M12x1.5×80||1|
|33 35 8 529 484||Cover Cap (R 1250 Models)||1|
The repair described in this bulletin is covered under warranty regardless of time or mileage.
Reimbursement for this Recall Campaign is through normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
|0000334500||Change bearing journals for bevel gears|
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|*00 60 356||Change bearing journals for bevel gears||5 FRUs|
|+00 60 856||Change bearing journals for bevel gears||4 FRUs|
*Main Work: This main labor operation includes all repair procedures to complete the task with allowance for necessary ancillary tasks (e.g. visual inspection, lubrication, cleaning parts etc.) and administrative tasks. Only one main labor operation can be claimed per repair visit. All other labor operations for any other line(s) must be claimed using plus code labor operations. Please refer to the Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual regarding add-ons, proper support, documentation, claims submission and archiving requirements as applicable.
Questions Regarding This Bulletin?
|Technical inquires||Please contact the Motorrad Technical Support Group|
|Warranty inquires||Submit an IDS ticket to the Warranty Department|
|Parts inquires||Submit an IDS ticket to the Motorrad Parts Department|
TREAD ACT CUSTOMER REIMBURSEMENT PLAN
(BMW of North America, LLC)
If you have paid for the repair described in the attached letter, and you would like your expenses to be considered for reimbursement, please contact your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer. Expenses paid to repair facilities outside of the BMW Motorcycle dealer network will be considered; however, the repair procedure must meet BMW standards.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer will request a copy of your owner notification letter, as well as, your previously paid invoice. They will then inspect your motorcycle (if it is still in your possession) prior to submitting a claim on your behalf to BMW of North America, LLC for reimbursement. Please note the following:
- Only a repair that is the subject of this safety recall is reimbursable. Consequential expenses such as towing, rental, accommodations, damage repairs, etc. will not be reimbursed.
- The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for BMW Genuine Parts will be considered as the guideline for reasonable part charges.
- Repair labor, taxes and hazardous waste disposal, when previously paid, are eligible for reimbursement.
- Expenses for repairs performed more than 10 days after the date of the last owner notification sent by BMW are not eligible for reimbursement.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer should be able to answer any questions that you may have regarding your qualifications for reimbursement of a previous repair. If you qualify for such a reimbursement, your BMW Motorcycle dealer will also be able to advise you of the manner in which you can expect to receive reimbursement.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer should be your primary contact on this issue; however, our Customer Relations and Services Department may be contacted at 1-800-525-7417 for any special assistance that you may require.
Customer Relations and Services Department
BMW of North America, LLC
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675-1227
If you intend to submit a request for reimbursement to our Customer Relations and Services department, your motorcycle (if it is still in your possession and was repaired at a facility outside of the BMW Motorcycle dealer network) will need to be inspected at an authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer before a claim can be accepted for consideration. This is to ensure that prior repairs at an outside facility meet BMW standards for recall completion.
2 Affected Products
|BMW||R 1250 GS||2020|
|BMW||R 1250 RT||2020|
9 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V165-2210
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-2RCLQRT-20V165-8602
Recall 573 Report
Recall 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V165-2263
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Dealer Notification re RECALL CAMPAIGN 20V-165 REAR DRIVE PIVOT PINRCMN-20V165-8147
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-20V165-0446
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V165-1706
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-3RCLQRT-20V165-4257
Latest Recalls Documents
- Hardcover Book
- Falloon, Ian (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 312 Pages - 05/26/2020 (Publication Date) - Motorbooks (Publisher)
- Hardcover Book
- Dowds, Alan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 240 Pages - 10/18/2022 (Publication Date) - Motorbooks (Publisher)
- 🏍️【Superior Material & Stable 3-Wheel Design】 - This kids ride on motorcycle is equipped with three high quality PE wheels, preventing the motorcycle from falling down in any circumstance. Combines superior materials and scientific structure design, its load capacity is up to 44 lbs.
- 🏍️【With Music and Headlights】 - Equipped with built-in music and headlights, this 3-wheeled motorcycle will become more realistic. Your baby can listen to the music while riding. Bring more exciting and enjoyable experiences to your children.
- 🏍️【Easy to Ride and Control】 - This 3-wheel designed motorcycle is smooth and simple to ride for your toddler or young child. Charge the battery according to the included instruction manual, then simply grab the handlebars and step on the foot pedal, and go!
- 🎁【Great Children's gift】 - This motorcycle is a perfect present for your children's birthday or Christmas. When it is fully charged, your kids can continuously play it for 40 minutes which makes sure that your baby can abundantly enjoy it.
- 🏍️【Technical Details】 - Scientifically designed kids ride on motorcycle accompanies your child's growth. Perfect for both outdoor and indoor playing as long as the ground is flat. Recommended ages: 13-36 months. Weight Capacity: 44 lbs. Battery: 6V 4AH. Charge Time: about 8-12 hours. Speed: 3km/h. Product Size: 26"×14.5"×17.5"(L×W×H) Please kindly check the product dimension.
- Unframed 4 (8x10) prints
- Printed on Fujicolor Crystal Archive paper
- Patent inspired artwork
- Home Office Game room décor
- Gift for all occasions
- ⚙️3-Wheels Construction: 3 wheels constitute the triangular structure for safe and balance, which can effectively prevent the bike from tipping over.
- 💗Safety Design: Made of metal frame and PP material, this riding toys for kids comes with loading capacity up to 44 lbs. The PE tires with anti-skid pattern also keep the ride smooth.
- 😄Realistic Driving Experience: This kids' electric scooter features with bright LED lights and foot pedal to bring the most real driving adventure.
- 🎵Multiple Attractive Function: The electric motorcycle comes with built-in music and leather seat cushion, which greatly increase the fun of driving.
- 🎁Perfect Gift for Children: Designed with stylish look and multi-functional configuration, our riding go motorcycle will be a great gift for your kids on their birthday or other holiday.
- Input DC 12 - 24V; Output 5V. Can charge two devices at the same time.
- Cigar lighter socket for standard car chargers
- Plug for Din/Hella socket. BMW/DIN male power plug can fit any European DIN sockt on BMW motorcycles and automobiles
- Charges: Apple iPhone, Blackberry, Garmin GPS, Droid, Samsung, HTC EVO, GoPro Hero, GoPro Hero3 and Vholdr helmet cams.
- Waterproof cap to cover the USB ports when not using
- Holmstrom, Darwin (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 192 Pages - 12/04/2009 (Publication Date) - Motorbooks (Publisher)
Last update on 2022-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.