March 19, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V165000
A loose connection between the final drive and swing arm will reduce stability and control, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V165
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 4
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2020 R1250GS and R1250RT motorcycles. The pivot pin that connects the final drive to the swing arm may be damaged, causing the connection between the final drive and swing arm to loosen.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 33 01 20
RECALL CAMPAIGN 20V-165 REAR DRIVE PIVOT PIN
|K50||R 1250 GS (0J93)|
|K51||R 1250 GS Adventure (0J53)|
|K52||R 1250 RT (0J63)|
In order to determine if a specific vehicle is affected by this Campaign, it will be necessary to verify all VIN’s through AIR (Aftersales Information Research). Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the repair or take no further action. Please note, VIN’s in DCS Vehicle History Check may not appear until 24-72 hours after the release of this bulletin, therefore AIR is the recommended method for determining open campaigns.
This Service Information Bulletin replaces delivery stop “STOP330004.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motorcycle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that dealers may not legally deliver new motorcycles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall.
Note also that:
Substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act
You should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used motorcycles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
The material of the pivot pin, which connects the swinging arm with the bevel gears, does not meet the required level of quality and could break while riding. The screw connection of the swinging arm to the bevel gears can then become loose, affecting riding stability and control.
Figure 1: Affected pivot pin (circled)
As of February 3, 2020 motorcycles are produced with pivot pins produced to specifications.
Replace the pivot pin as described in the attached repair instructions.
|33 17 8 375 112||Bearing Journal||1|
|07 12 9 907 075||ISA Bolt M12x1.5×80||1|
|33 35 8 529 484||Cover Cap (R 1250 Models)||1|
The repair described in this bulletin is covered under warranty regardless of time or mileage.
Reimbursement for this Recall Campaign is through normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
|0000334500||Change bearing journals for bevel gears|
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Allowance|
|*00 60 356||Change bearing journals for bevel gears||5 FRUs|
|+00 60 856||Change bearing journals for bevel gears||4 FRUs|
*Main Work: This main labor operation includes all repair procedures to complete the task with allowance for necessary ancillary tasks (e.g. visual inspection, lubrication, cleaning parts etc.) and administrative tasks. Only one main labor operation can be claimed per repair visit. All other labor operations for any other line(s) must be claimed using plus code labor operations. Please refer to the Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual regarding add-ons, proper support, documentation, claims submission and archiving requirements as applicable.
Questions Regarding This Bulletin?
|Technical inquires||Please contact the Motorrad Technical Support Group|
|Warranty inquires||Submit an IDS ticket to the Warranty Department|
|Parts inquires||Submit an IDS ticket to the Motorrad Parts Department|
TREAD ACT CUSTOMER REIMBURSEMENT PLAN
(BMW of North America, LLC)
If you have paid for the repair described in the attached letter, and you would like your expenses to be considered for reimbursement, please contact your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer. Expenses paid to repair facilities outside of the BMW Motorcycle dealer network will be considered; however, the repair procedure must meet BMW standards.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer will request a copy of your owner notification letter, as well as, your previously paid invoice. They will then inspect your motorcycle (if it is still in your possession) prior to submitting a claim on your behalf to BMW of North America, LLC for reimbursement. Please note the following:
- Only a repair that is the subject of this safety recall is reimbursable. Consequential expenses such as towing, rental, accommodations, damage repairs, etc. will not be reimbursed.
- The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for BMW Genuine Parts will be considered as the guideline for reasonable part charges.
- Repair labor, taxes and hazardous waste disposal, when previously paid, are eligible for reimbursement.
- Expenses for repairs performed more than 10 days after the date of the last owner notification sent by BMW are not eligible for reimbursement.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer should be able to answer any questions that you may have regarding your qualifications for reimbursement of a previous repair. If you qualify for such a reimbursement, your BMW Motorcycle dealer will also be able to advise you of the manner in which you can expect to receive reimbursement.
Your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer should be your primary contact on this issue; however, our Customer Relations and Services Department may be contacted at 1-800-525-7417 for any special assistance that you may require.
Customer Relations and Services Department
BMW of North America, LLC
P.O. Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675-1227
If you intend to submit a request for reimbursement to our Customer Relations and Services department, your motorcycle (if it is still in your possession and was repaired at a facility outside of the BMW Motorcycle dealer network) will need to be inspected at an authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer before a claim can be accepted for consideration. This is to ensure that prior repairs at an outside facility meet BMW standards for recall completion.
2 Affected Products
|BMW||R 1250 GS||2020|
|BMW||R 1250 RT||2020|
9 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V165-2210
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-2RCLQRT-20V165-8602
Recall 573 Report
Recall 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V165-2263
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Dealer Notification re RECALL CAMPAIGN 20V-165 REAR DRIVE PIVOT PINRCMN-20V165-8147
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-20V165-0446
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V165-1706
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-3RCLQRT-20V165-4257
Latest Recalls Documents
For the Latest and Most Recent Recalls Information Visit the link below…
- Hardcover Book
- Dowds, Alan (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 240 Pages - 10/18/2022 (Publication Date) - Motorbooks (Publisher)
- 【Best Gift for Every Little’s】 Featuring cool and realistic appearance, simulated exhaust pipe and bright headlight, the BMW officially licensed ride on toy is designed to mimic a real motorcycle. In addition, the extended seat and easy-to-grip handles bring kids comfortable driving experience. It’s a perfect gift for kids over 3 years old.
- 【12V Real Driving Experience】 The 12V kids ride on toy quipped with horn button, several built-in music and study/nursery rhymes will make this 3-wheeled motorcycle become more realistic. Besides, it’s easy to increase and decrease volume via the volume knob. USB port and MP3 input make more resources available further.
- 【Easy Operation for Driving】 Just need to press the power button and step down foot pedal, kids can shift forward/ backward level within arm's reach to control the motorcycle forward or backward with safe speed. Besides, with foot pedal and handlebar, you can control variable speed by throttle (up to 4 Mph) and 1 reverse (2 Mph).
- 【Freely Ride on with Elevated Seat】 The rear of the motorcycle has equipped an elevated seat, making it safer to ride. Beside, fitted with three wear-resistant PE wheels, preventing the motorcycle from tipping over in any circumstances. Perfect for various grounds, such as asphalt road, cement road, brick road and boardwalk. 2 training wheels to keep children's balance while helping him/her keep balance.
- 【Premium Material & Technical Details】 Made of upgrade PP material and metal frame, this ride on motorcycle is durable and harmless to human body. Dimension: 32.5” x 16.5” x 21”(L x W x H). Speed: 1.9 - 3.1 Mph (3-5 km/h). The charging time is about 8-12 hours each time.
- 🏍️【Superior Material & Stable 3-Wheel Design】 - This kids ride on motorcycle is equipped with three high quality PE wheels, preventing the motorcycle from falling down in any circumstance. Combines superior materials and scientific structure design, its load capacity is up to 44 lbs.
- 🏍️【With Music and Headlights】 - Equipped with built-in music and headlights, this 3-wheeled motorcycle will become more realistic. Your baby can listen to the music while riding. Bring more exciting and enjoyable experiences to your children.
- 🏍️【Easy to Ride and Control】 - This 3-wheel designed motorcycle is smooth and simple to ride for your toddler or young child. Charge the battery according to the included instruction manual, then simply grab the handlebars and step on the foot pedal, and go!
- 🎁【Great Children's gift】 - This motorcycle is a perfect present for your children's birthday or Christmas. When it is fully charged, your kids can continuously play it for 40 minutes which makes sure that your baby can abundantly enjoy it.
- 🏍️【Technical Details】 - Scientifically designed kids ride on motorcycle accompanies your child's growth. Perfect for both outdoor and indoor playing as long as the ground is flat. Recommended ages: 13-36 months. Weight Capacity: 44 lbs. Battery: 6V 4AH. Charge Time: about 8-12 hours. Speed: 3km/h. Product Size: 26"×14.5"×17.5"(L×W×H) Please kindly check the product dimension.
- This LEGO set for adults features a Technic BMW M 1000 RR motorcycle model in 1:5 scale - a first for the LEGO Technic universe
- Explore the authentic details - the 3-speed (+ neutral) gearbox, steering, front and rear suspension, chain transmission and 4-piston engine
- From the tyres to the windshield, no detail has been overlooked - admire the red, white & blue color scheme of iconic BMW branding
- The set includes both a display stand and a racing stand, so you can create a real conversation starter with this impressive motorcycle model
- This motorcycle model building kit is the result of a partnership between BMW and the LEGO Technic design team
- Hardcover Book
- Bacon, Roy (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 12/09/1997 (Publication Date) - Motorbooks Intl (Publisher)
- Licensed BMW: This officially licensed BMW S1000RR ride-on motorcycle for toddlers is suitable for ages between 18–36 months with a maximum rider weight of 44 lbs. Great for both outdoor and indoor play (under the supervision of an adult).
- Easy To Operate: Our ride-on motorcycle is easy to operate and comfortable, too, with a faux leather seat. When your child presses the start button, all they have to do is put the pedal to the metal (technically, it's plastic) and they're ready to hit the road.
- Baby Safe And Stable: Our 3-wheel motorcycle is a safe-n-stable ride that's so stylish your child won't mind. Cruising around at the speed of imagination (a max of 2.5 km/h) on extra-wide tires, they'll feel far too cool to care.
- Music Function & Headlights: Let baby get lost in play as they have adventures on a bike all their own. Our 3-wheeled motorbike for kids is an immersive experience offering functioning headlights and built-in music.
- Charging Time: This motorcycle ride-on toy includes a 6V, 4AH Battery. It takes 8–12 hours till the battery is fully charged for 45 minutes of continuous play. Its assembly is hassle-free.
- 【Includes】1 Compatible for BMW S1000 Motorcycle, 1 Display Stand ，1 Helmet Keychain.
- 【 Rear wheel shock absorber】No batteries needed.The front wheels can turn left and right .Press down rear wheel .It can shock absorb.
- 【Perfect Size for Small Hands】Perfect mini motorcycle toys toddler boy toys designed for 3-9 year old kids' small hands to hold and push, very handy to carry wherever you go, not too big or small
- 【Safe Toys for Kids】This motorcycle toys are made of high quality ABS plastic and Alloy, safe and 100% Non-Toxic.High quality rubber wheels,anti-skid,shock resistant,strong grip.It made with genuine rubber tires can effectively reduces the impact force.
- 【Great Gift for Kids】You can choose this beautifully packaged toy car as a birthday gift, Christmas gift, and New Year gift for toddlers. This motorcyclecar set is a great gift and a good choice among your collection of vehicles.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Hardcover Book
- Preston, Bruce (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 175 Pages - 12/09/1996 (Publication Date) - Crowood Pr (Publisher)
Last update on 2023-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.