January 15, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V017000
An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V017
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 59,965
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2008-2013 128i and 135i Convertibles, 128i, 135i, and M Coupes, 2007-2010 X3 30si and X3 xDrive30i, 2013-2015 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i and X1 xDrive35i, 2007-2013 328i, 328i xDrive, 335i, 335is, 335i xDrive and M3 Coupes, 2006-2011 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi, 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive and M3, 2009-2011 335D, 2006-2012 325xi, 328i, 328xi and 328i xDrive, 2010-2011 X6 ActiveHybrid, 2007-2013 328i, 335i, 335is, M3 Coupes, X5 30si, X5 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive35i, X5 48i, X5 xDrive48i, X5 xDrive50i and X5 M, 2009-2013 X5 xDrive35d and 2008-2014 X6 xDrive35i, X6 xDrive50i and X6M vehicles equipped with non-desiccated driver frontal air bag inflators containing phase stabilized ammonium nitrate (PSAN) that were used as interim remedy parts for previous Takata recalls. These inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver air bag. On X5 and X6 vehicles, only the inflator will be replaced. All repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall began March 11, 2020. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 65 03 20 2020-03-06
RECALL CAMPAIGN 20V-017: REPLACE DRIVER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 1) replaces SI B65 03 20 dated January 2020.
What’s New (Specific text highlighted):
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|E70||X5 (incl. M) Sports Activity Vehicle||September 27, 2006 – June 27, 2013|
|E70||X5 (diesel) SAV||September 10, 2008 – June 27, 2013|
|E71||X6 (incl. M) Sports Activity Coupe||December 11, 2007 – June 25, 2014|
|E72||X6 Active Hybrid SAC||May 21, 2009 – January 12, 2011|
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign were included in an earlier Takata recall and received an interim remedy. The affected vehicles amd will show as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
This recall is for vehicles which have already had the air bag gas generator replaced as part of a previous interim remedy recall repair. With this recall repair, we are installing the final remedy part.
OTHER AIR BAG-RELATED FAULTS AND REPAIRS
This Recall applies to an operational driver’s front air bag. The issue addressed will not cause an air bag (SRS) malfunction light to illuminate. It will also not prevent the system from deploying in a front-end collision.
However, a recalled vehicle can arrive at your center with an air bag malfunction light illuminated.
It is important to notify the customer that diagnosing other air bag-related system issues may be required and this diagnosis and corresponding repair work, if needed, is not covered by this Recall.
In this case, replacing the driver’s front air bag module will not correct the other fault code(s).
After long-term exposure in areas with a high level of humidity, moisture may enter the housing of the gas generator on the driver’s front air bag.
- In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front driver’s air bag, the moisture may create excessive internal pressure, possibly causing rupture of the air bag inflator and resulting in metal fragments striking and injuring the driver or other passengers
Replace the driver’s front air bag gas generator assembly.
In the following cases the inflator/gas generator replacement should not be done. Instead, the complete air bag assembly must be replaced:
- Threaded bolts are damaged
- Threaded bolts are bent or corroded
- The generator cannot be removed from the air bag without excess force
- If the target tightening torque of the nuts cannot be achieved
- If there is a gap between the generator & air bag that is not closed up when tightening the nuts
- If there is damage to the air bag cover that may impede deployment of the air bag
Please record exterior cosmetic condition of air bag assembly on the Repair Order prior to any repair.
REP 32 34 020 – “Removing and installing/replacing air bag unit”; or
REP 32 34 030 – “Removing and installing/replacing air bag unit (sport steering wheel)”
The only parts allowed to be installed for this repair are the part numbers that are supplied in the PARTS INFORMATION section.
In addition to the repair instructions and to assist you in performing this repair, refer to a stepby-step video at the bottom of this bulletin.
Warning! Incorrect handling may result in triggering of the air bag module and thereby cause serious injury.
- Comply with safety regulations for handling components with gas generators.
- Do not exert any force on the air bag module.
- Use only specified tools for releasing the air bag module.
It is necessary to document which gas generator goes into which vehicle. Therefore, the technician is required to note on the repair order the serial number of the new gas generator. The serial number should also be entered into the warranty claims comment section. The serial number can be found on the gas generator below the barcode.
|Serial Number location (1).|
|The attached checklist must be followed. A second technician is required to perform a visual check of the air bag cavity to ensure there are no foreign objects. The second technician should also confirm the air bag nuts are torqued properly.
Both technicians must sign the completed checklist and attach it to the repair order.
For E72 Hybrid Vehicles; only properly trained personnel, who have passed all applicable technical training courses, should perform any maintenance or repairs on any Hybrid or Electric Vehicle. Work performed by unqualified persons may result in severe injury or damage to the vehicle. Additional information may be found in REP 61 00… Observe safety instructions when handling electric vehicles.
|The new Repair Kit gas generator P/N 32 30 6 888 429 is installed utilizing a new jumper wiring harness that is installed between the generator and the steering wheel assembly.
Note: This harness MUST BE USED with this generator!
Included in the box with the gas generator should be two self-adhesive labels that can be used in the warranty claims section and attached to the air bag.
If either of the labels are missing, please do the following:
- Hand write the new gas generator serial number into the warranty comments section of your claim.
- Hand write the new gas generator serial number onto a label and affix to air bag assembly
If the entire air bag is replaced instead of just the gas generator, we will need the serial number on the label on the side of the air bag. This is the longest number usually on the bottom of the label.
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK (EPC) by VIN or model in place of using/invoicing the following part numbers may result with the wrong part numbers being invoiced and installed, this could delay the payment of claim.
|32 30 6 888 429||Repair Kit inflator (gas generator) Driver’s. Includes jumper harness||1|
If a complete air bag is needed per above, please follow the special ordering procedure below:
- Please order the parts for a specific VIN only and not for stock.
- One VIN request per IDS ticket.
- Please use SI B650320 as the summary of the ticket.
- You must let us know what is preventing you from only replacing the gas generator.
- Please open an IDS ticket, include your dealer (ship to location) code, VIN (last 7 digits), part number and your contact information including the address for delivery. Orders will be entered using the VIN and AB (air bag) for the PO if the required parts are available. Example PO: LM12345AB.
|32 30 6 884 657||Air bag assembly Driver’s E70 BASIC||1|
|32 30 6 884 658||Air bag assembly Driver’s E70 SPORT||1|
|32 30 6 884 659||Air bag assembly Driver’s E71, E72 SPORT||1|
PARTS RETENTION AND RETURN
Recalled parts that are removed from BMW vehicles cannot be used for resale!
The parts replaced to perform and submit for this Recall repair procedure are the property of BMW NA.
Your center is responsible for the proper identification, storage and documentation of these parts. They must be held in a secure retention area until notification of claim payment is made by BMW NA through DCSnet.
Upon claim payment, a DCSnet part return tag will be generated for the passenger’s front air bag module with special handling instructions.
- Please DO NOT return these recalled air bag modules directly to Lightning Resources or the WPRC.
Inflatable air bags are classified as dangerous goods by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and require special preparation, packing and labeling for transport.
Your center is responsible for following all rules and regulations that apply to shipping dangerous goods as described in the attachment.
A shipping procedure has been created for returning the replaced air bag modules directly to Takata. There is also a procedure available for “Bulk Shipping 15 or more air bag modules” at one time to Takata.
These procedures are contained in the “Part Return Program Instructions” and “Bulk Ship” PDF attachments to this bulletin; please read both of them. Effective immediately, please use the following email address when scheduling bulk shipment returns to Takata:
The parts are to be packaged in the same packaging that the new part arrived in for shipment back to Takata.
The returns pickup schedule has been changed from weekly to every two weeks (bi-weekly)
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information together with the part numbers specified above:
The vehicle is already in the workshop
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Plus work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 1||00 68 880||Replacing gas generator for driver airbag||7 FRU|
|# 2||00 68 881||Replace the driver-side front air bag (complete) (after the replacement attempt of the gas generator could not be properly completed)||4 FRU|
|# 3||00 68 882||Replace the driver-side front air bag (complete) (replacement of the gas generator is not possible)||3 FRU|
The vehicle arrives at your center and this Recall Campaign shows open (No other Main work will be performed/claimed during this workshop visit)
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Main work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 4||00 68 282||Replacing gas generator for driver airbag||8 FRU (E70/71);
9 FRU (E72)
|# 5||00 68 283||Replace the driver-side front air bag (complete) (after the replacement attempt of the gas generator could not be properly completed)||6 FRU|
|# 6||00 68 284||Replace the driver-side front air bag (complete) (replacement of the gas generator is not possible)||5 FRU|
Claim Repair Comments
Only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and in the claim comments (For example: B65 03 20 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
The serial number of the new gas generator or the air bag module must be entered in the comment field of the claim submission application. The claim will be rejected if the serial number is missing from the claim submission entry. Mobile Assistance – Off Site Repair (N/A)
The work procedure for this recall repair does not allow for it to be eligible for performing it as an OffSite Repair.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
With this Technical Campaign, a prior repair reimbursement is not likely. Typically, a customer would have their driver’s front air bag module replaced as a result of an accident. In such a case, either an insurance company or the customer themselves, paid for the replacement of the above-mentioned air bag module in conjunction with the accident repairs. Such cases are not covered by this campaign and are not entitled to reimbursement.
picture_as_pdf B650320 Checklist.pdf
picture_as_pdf B650320 Recall Notice.pdf
picture_as_pdf B650320 REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS E7x.pdf
picture_as_pdf B650320_20V-017_E8X_E9X_E7X DAB QA_14Jan2020.pdf
picture_as_pdf B650320 Air Bag Gas Generator Replacement.pdf
picture_as_pdf B650320_Parts_Bulk_Ship_Return.pdf Videos 65 02 17
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 20V-017: Replace Driver’s Front Air Bag Module – B65 03 20
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Air Bag Generator Replacement E7x
- The Generator replacement should always be carried out by the same Technician(s)
- Make sure your hands and clothes are clean and free of foreign objects
- Only one vehicle at a time should have this work performed
- This repair should be done from beginning to end without interruption
- Interruptions of any kind are not permitted
- Notes on Electro Static Discharge (ESD) must be observed. (see REP-RAGRP61-6135ESD)
- Do not measure or touch the electrical terminals on the Generator
- Handle Generator with caution
- If the Generator should fall or be damaged it must be replaced
- Do not allow any foreign objects to enter the Air Bag cavity while the Generator is removed
- Whenever possible do not place your body above the airbag
- It is recommended to do this work in a location away from other personnel and vehicles (for example in a separate room or the parts department)
- A clean workbench with ESD protection is necessary
- A soft blanket is needed to position underneath the Air Bag to avoid damage to the cover
- The work area should be dust free
- Make sure there are no open cabinets above the workbench to avoid any foreign objects from falling into the Air Bag cavity.
Exclusion Criteria: In the following cases the complete Air Bag assembly must be replaced:
- Threaded bolts are damaged
- Threaded bolts are bent or corroded
- The Generator cannot be removed from the Air Bag without excess force
- If the target tightening torque of the nuts cannot be achieved
- If there is a gap between the Generator & Airbag that is not closed up when tightening the nuts
- The Air Bag cover & steering wheel should be inspected in the presence of the customer prior to repair
- Record the condition of the Air Bag on the Repair Order
- Checklist should have all boxes checked and signed by the 1st and 2nd
 The workbench should be prepared with the following items:
- Anti-Static mat (1) which must be grounded
(See SWS 2 06 04 (128))
- A soft blanket or material (2) to prevent damaging the airbag cover
- A container (3) for disposal of the original Generator nuts
- A packaged new part (5)
Tools required (4) for the Generator exchange:
- Plastic bone tool (SWZ 0 490 539)
- Ratchet with extension and 8 mm socket
- Small torque wrench with 8 mm socket (5 NM)
- Felt tip marker (sharpie)
- Duct tape (.25 mm wide)
 Remove Air Bag from the vehicle
E70 series Steering wheel: see repair instructions REP – REP – RAE7032-3234020 )
E70 Sport Steering wheel: see repair instructions REP – REP – RAE7032-3234030 )
 Place airbag unit (1) face down on the soft work surface
 Write serial number (2) of the original Air Bag unit on the work order
 Primary mechanic must place ground strap (3) on their wrist
 Cover the connections on the old Generator with duct tape (1) so the contacts cannot be touched.
NOTE: – Picture above is an example and may not exactly match your Generator
 Mark orientation (2) of the Generator in the Air Bag with the felt tip marker.
 Mark all four nuts (3) with the felt tip marker (to avoid mix up of old/new parts)
 Mark a large cross (4) with the felt tip marker (to avoid mix up of old/new parts)
 2nd Technician should hold airbag steady for 1st Technician
1st Technician should remove all four nuts (1) in any order and immediately place the used nuts into the provided container (2) for disposal. This is done to avoid mixing old parts and new parts.
 Remove the new Generator (1) from the packaging.
Position the new Generator in the same orientation (3) as the original. Dashed lines show how both are oriented in relation to the air bag assembly.
 Unpack wiring harness (4), four new nuts (5) and two stickers (7).
Note: Both stickers (7) are the same and are only in the step  is needed.
 Mark orientation (2) of the new Generator (1) to match the original Generator (3) markings (from Step ) with a felt tip marker.
Do not use hard, sharp tools!
If the original Generator cannot be removed without excess force then cancel this procedure and replace the entire Air Bag assembly.
(3) After removal, place the original Generator next to the Air Bag.
In the area (1) above there must be no foreign objects!
There may be a small amount of surface rust on the metal within the airbag. This is normal.
Apply the four eyes principle and have this confirmed by two technicians.
1st Technician should perform a visual inspection of the airbag cavity for foreign objects.
2nd Technician should perform a visual inspection of the airbag cavity for foreign objects.
Check the orientation of the new Generator and the Air Bag and make sure the marks line up (3).
 Insert the original Generator (5) into the packaging (4).
 2nd Technician should hold airbag steady for 1st Technician
Install the four new nuts (1,2,3,4) onto the studs and lightly tighten the nuts in the sequence shown (1,2,3,4).
Apply the four eyes principle and have this confirmed by two technicians.
1st Technician should torque nuts in sequence (1,2,3,4,) to 5 Nm
1st Technician should again torque the nuts in sequence (1,2,3,4) to 5 Nm
Perform a visual inspection of the gap (2) between the Generator (1) and the Air Bag (3) on all four sides of the Generator (4).
Apply the four eyes principle and have this confirmed by two technicians.
1st Technician should check the gap (2) on all four sides of the Generator.
2nd Technician should check the gap (2) on all four sides of the Generator.
Picture (1) shows a correctly installed Generator
Picture (2) shows an improperly installed Generator with an excessive gap (2).
ATTENTION: If the gap cannot be closed up then cancel this procedure and replace the entire Air Bag assembly.
 Note serial number of the new Air Bag unit (1) on the Repair Order.
The 2nd serial number sticker of the new Generator must be placed on the Repair Order
Remove the tape (2) from the new generator (1).
 1st and 2nd Technician must ensure green connector is orientated as shown (1)
 Remove the wiring harness (5) from the steering wheel:
Cut the cable (1).
Disconnect the ground contact (2). Remove and dispose the ground cable (1).
Remove the bolt (3). Remove the ground contact (4).
Remove und dispose the wiring harness (5).
 Install the new wiring harness (6) into the steering wheel:
Place the wiring harness (6) as shown.
Connect the ground contact (1).
Fix the ground cable (3) on place (2).
Route the ground cable (3) as illustrated with arrows.
Position ground cable (4) as illustrated and fasten with bolt (5).
Tightening torque: 1,3 Nm.
 Install the Air Bag into the vehicle.
 Check function after assembly is complete:
- Turn on ignition, does the Air Bag lamp briefly illuminate during the bulb self-check and then go out?
- Confirm that the horn is working
 Seal packaging with the original Generator and prepare for shipment back to Takata.
|Checklist for Air Bag Generator Replacement VIN:________________|
|||Prepare a clean ESD-protected work area and provide the following items:|
|Install anti-static mat. Ground mat. Soft blanket to prevent scratching Air Bag cover|
|Container for the disposal of the original nuts (to avoid mixing up parts)|
|Packaged New Air Bag Generator|
|Tools: Plastic bone tool, ratchet, torque wrench (5NM), felt tip marker (sharpie), duct tape|
|||Remove Air Bag unit from the vehicle|
|||Place Air Bag onto the blanket face down with the Generator facing upwards|
|||Note serial number of the Air Bag unit on the Repair Order|
|||1st Technician should install ESD grounding strap on their wrist|
|||Use duct tape to cover the electronic terminals on the Generator so the contacts cannot be touched|
|||Mark orientation of the Generator and place a large X with the felt tip marker on the Generator and all four nuts. This is done to avoid confusion with the new parts.|
|||Unscrew all four nuts in any order and dispose of the original nuts in the container. ATTENTION: Do not reuse nuts.|
|||Unpack a new Generator and position in the same way as the previous inflator|
|||Unpack wiring harness, four new nuts and 2 stickers|
|||Mark orientation of the new Generator with the felt tip marker|
|||Remove original Generator from the Air Bag.|
|Invert the airbag so generator is on the bottom. Gentle wiggling of the Generator may be required to get it loose from the Air Bag. Place Generator same as pictured.|
|||1st Technician should perform a visual inspection of the airbag cavity for foreign objects|
|2nd Technician should perform a visual inspection of the airbag cavity for foreign objects|
|||Insert immediately after a successful visual inspection new gas generator in the airbag unit|
|||Place original Generator into the provided packaging|
|||While 2nd Technician holds airbag firmly, 1st Technician should check correct fit of new ignitor. You may have to wiggle it lightly to get it to fully seat. Gently tighten all 4 new nuts in sequence.
1st Technician should torque nuts in sequence to 5 Nm
|1st Technician should again torque the nuts to 5 Nm|
|||1st Technician should perform a visual inspection of the gap between the new generator and the airbag module on all four sides. 2nd Technician should also inspect the gap between new inflator and airbag module on all four sides.|
|||Note serial number of the new Air Bag unit on the Repair Order.
Apply to the Air Bag unit one new sticker from the new Generator in the marked location.
Apply second new sticker to the Repair Order.
|||Peel off stickers from the new airbag generator|
|||1st Technician should perform a visual inspection and confirm green connector is located as shown below. 2nd Technician should also confirm correct orientation.|
|||Turn Air Bag over so Generator is on bottom and perform visual inspection of Air Bag cover. Confirm airbag condition matches what is on the Repair Order.|
|||Remove the wiring harness from the steering wheel|
|||Install the new wiring harness into the steering wheel|
|||Install Air Bag assembly back into vehicle|
|||Test operation. Turn on ignition and confirm Air Bag (SRS) lamp goes off. Confirm horn functions|
|||Seal original Generator into provided packaging for shipment|
|1st Technician Signature||2nd Technician Signature|
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL – Final Remedy Available
This notice applies to your vehicle, [INSERT VIN]
Recall Campaign No. 20V-017: Driver’s Air Bag Module
Dear BMW Owner / Lessee:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2006-2015 BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, X1 SAV, X3 SAV, X5 SAV and X6 SAC vehicles.
Why are we contacting you?
Our records indicate that your vehicle may have had an interim (“like-for-like”) driver’s air bag module repair performed under a previous air bag recall final remedy parts were available. We are pleased to inform you that the final remedy is now available. Please contact your nearest authorized BMW Center (www.bmwusa.com/dealer) immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible.
What could happen?
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver’s air bag, excessive internal pressure could cause the air bag to explode, resulting in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers potentially resulting in serious injury or death. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers and passengers of this important information.
What will BMW do?
Your vehicle will be inspected to confirm the type of driver’s air bag module/inflator that is currently installed.
The inspection will be performed for FREE. If it is confirmed that your vehicle contains a “like-for-like” air bag module/inflator, it will be replaced with a final remedy part. This FREE repair will take about one hour.
There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service, if needed. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
If you already had this repair performed at your own expense, please see the attachment regarding possible eligibility for reimbursement.
What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
You can update the vehicle ownership or your contact information by filling out the enclosed postage-paid card or by registering at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal Regulations require you to forward this notice to your lessee within ten days.
What if I have questions or experience problems?
Should you have any questions about this recall, visit www.bmwusa.com/recall to read FAQs or contact your authorized BMW center. If you need additional assistance, contact BMW Customer Relations and Services by calling 1-800-525-7417 or via email at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
If your BMW center is unable to remedy the defect without charge or within a reasonable period of time, you may notify the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
Please be assured that your safety is important to us and we sincerely apologize if this recall causes any inconvenience. We recommend that you and your passengers wear your seat belt at all times.
BMW of North America, LLC
Spanish translation on back side
Traducción en español en el lado inverso
Q1. Which models are included in this Safety Recall Campaign?
|Series||Model||Model Year||Production Dates|
|E82||1 Series Coupe (incl. M)||2008 – 2013||Nov 2007 – Sep 2013|
|E88||1 Series Convertible||2008 – 2013||Nov 2007 – Oct 2013|
|E90||3 Series Sedan (incl. M)||2006 – 2011||Feb 2005 – Dec 2011|
|E90||3 Series Sedan (diesel)||2009 – 2011||Jan 2009 – Aug 2011|
|E91||3 Series Sports Wagon||2006 – 2012||Sep 2005 – Mar 2012|
|E92||3 Series Coupe (incl. M)||2007 – 2013||May 2006 – Jun 2013|
|E93||3 Series Convertible (incl. M)||2007 – 2013||Nov 2006 – Oct 2013|
|E84||X1 SAV||2013 – 2015||Jul 2012 – Sep 2014|
|E83||X3 SAV||2007 – 2010||Aug 2006 – Aug 2010|
|E70||X5 SAV (incl. M)||2007 – 2013||Sep 2006 – Jun 2013|
|E70||X5 SAV (diesel)||2009 – 2013||Sep 2008 – Jun 2013|
|E71||X6 SAC (incl. M)||2008 – 2014||Dec 2007 – Jun 2014|
|E72||X6 SAC ActiveHybrid||2010 – 2011||May 2009 – Jan 2011|
Q2. Which inflator is affected?
This recall is for vehicles which have already had the Takata PSDI-5 driver front air bag replaced as part of a previous recall.
Q3. Why are other BMW models not included?
Other vehicles have frontal air bags that were produced or repaired with different inflators.
Q4. Why is this recall just coming out now?
The recall schedule follows the guidelines published by NHTSA in the May 2016 amended Takata Recall Coordinated Remedy Order.
Q5. If I had my driver’s front air bag module replaced prior, do I need to have it replaced again?
Yes. This final replacement part is ammonium–nitrate free. Please contact your authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible.
Q6. What is difference between the interim and the final repair?
The final repair incorporates a newly designed and tested replacement inflator with guanidine nitrate-based propellant.
The interim repair was an inflator with ammonium nitrate-based propellant.
Q7. What is the fix?
The driver’s front air bag module/inflator will be replaced.
Q8. How long will the repair take?
This FREE repair may take about an hour; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule.
Q9. How will I be notified of this recall?
You will receive a letter by the beginning of March via First Class mail, advising you of this recall. To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
Q10. Do I have to wait for my letter in order to have my vehicle serviced?
Q11. What options are available if it is too inconvenient for me to bring my vehicle to a BMW center for service? There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
Q12. What is the specific concern?
Takata’s investigation to date indicates that exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity) could lead to overly aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.
Q13. What is desiccant?
Put simply, desiccant is a substance with properties that enable it to soak up water vapor from the air surrounding it.
Q14. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a crash where the air bag deploys, the air bag inflator housing may rupture and could cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.
Q15. Is it possible to find out whether the problem exists in my car?
No. There is no way to detect if your BMW might have an air bag inflator potentially at risk of rupturing upon deployment in an accident.
Q16. How did BMW become aware of this issue?
Q17. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, you should have this service performed by an authorized BMW center as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q18. I did not receive a letter from BMW regarding my vehicle. How can I find out if my BMW is included in this recall?You can check for open recalls a few different ways. You can check for open recalls by entering your vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.bmwusa.com/recall and download a sample owner notification letter and Q&A if your VIN is affected. You can also call or visit your local BMW center’s service department to determine if your BMW is affected. Make sure to update your contact information by registering at https://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
Q19. What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?
113 Affected Products
|BMW||1 SERIES M||2008-2013|
|BMW||X6 ACTIVEHYBRID SAC||2010-2011|
12 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V017-9579
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-1RCLQRT-20V017-4409
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 3 New Takata Recalls (Effective Today, January 16, 2020)RCMN-20V017-1068
Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20V017-4600
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Broadcast Message re BMW AG has 3 New Takata Recalls (Effective Today, January 16, 2020)RCMN-20V017-6489
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-20V017-2665
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-20V017-1004
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2020-2
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2020-3RCLQRT-20V017-5702
Latest Recalls Documents
1 Associated Investigation
Air Bag Inflator Rupture
NHTSA ID: EA15001
Dated opened: February 24, 2015
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened PE14-016 in June 2014 based on six inflator rupture incidents involving consumer owned vehicles produced by five vehicle manufacturers. All six vehicles were operated in Florida or Puerto Rico at the time of the rupture and for the majority of their service life, and were equipped with inflators produced by Takata, a tier-one supplier of automotive air bag systems.
During the course of PE14-016, ODI determined that five additional vehicle manufacturers used inflators of a similar design and vintage also supplied by Takata. No evidence of field failures was found in vehicles produced by these five additional manufacturers. Nonetheless, at ODI’s insistence, all 10 vehicle manufacturers initiated a regional recall within approximately two weeks of the opening of the investigation. The regions recalled initially included Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, areas with high absolute humidity and climatic conditions believed to be a significant factor in the inflator ruptures. As part of the recall actions, inflators removed from remedied vehicles are to be returned to Takata for testing.
Takata’s initial test results on passenger inflators from remedied vehicles indicated a much higher than anticipated rupture frequency for inflators returned from Florida. Accordingly ODI requested all 10 manufacturers expand the regional recalls for passenger inflators to include other geographic areas where high absolute humidity conditions exist, including the Gulf States and other coastal areas. Takata’s testing of the passenger inflators to date continues to indicate this geographic area as having the highest risk, with no ruptures occurring from inflators returned from outside the expanded recall regions. During PE14-016 four additional passenger inflator field events occurred, all in vehicles from the same expanded geographic region.
Also during PE14-016 four additional driver inflator field events occurred including two in vehicles from regions not known for high absolute humidity, specifically California and North Carolina. Accordingly, ODI requested all five of the affected vehicle manufacturers currently using the subject Takata driver inflators expand to nationwide recalls. Significantly, neither of the affected vehicle manufacturers or Takata provided any explanation to account for these two driver air bag inflator ruptures outside the area of high absolute humidity. Takata testing of returned driver inflators indicates a lower rupture frequency as compared to passenger inflator testing. All test ruptures reported by Takata to date have occurred on inflators returned from high absolute humidity areas.
The investigation now includes all manufacturers and vehicles known to be affected at this time. ODI’s investigation will focus on, among other things, root cause analysis, other potential defect consequences, identification of affected vehicles scope, and adequacy of the remedy.
The five ODI reports cited above can be reviewed online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID under the following identification numbers: 10537899, 10568848, 10585224, 10605877, 10651492
- 🥇【COMPLETE ABS AIRBAG SRS SCANNER】1️⃣ABS SRS Airbag Scan Tool: Weak brake pad, Bad wheel speed sensor & error codes diagnosis; 2️⃣Sensor Reset Tool: Calibrate SAS ABS SRS Airbag Sensors after maintenance; 3️⃣Bidirectional Scan Tool: Activate and command ABS/SRS/Airbag components. 4️⃣Powerful OBD2 Scanners: S-M-O-G check, E-mission Status & Gas-Cap issue diagnosis for 12v vehicles after 1996. 👉TIPS: The abs scanner can NOT clear airbag crash data/collision data. NOT support programming/coding.
- 🎃【TOP ABS BLEED SCAN TOOL】The air will get inside when replace components such as calipers, wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, brake lines or hoses. This abs auto bleed scan tool will help bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves to get a firm brake pedal and keep a safety driving on the road. Own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed function is so valuable instead high cost from the dealships. 👉Note: Only works on the vehicles have auto abs bleeding.
- 🚦【ALL FUNCTIONS FOR ABS VSA SRS AIRBAG】Do more for ABS VSA SRS Airbag system not just reading/clearing codes like other scan tools do. The abs scanner airbag code reader is born to solve issues when the warning light(MIL) was on. Diagnoses, pin-points the problem down and tells you which sensor was bad that caused the problem, no need to replace one by one. NT630 plus will reset/calibrate the new sensor after replacement. Finally turning off the warning lights and keeping all to running well.
- 👍【ABS SRS BIDIRECTIONAL SCAN TOOL, PAYS FOR ITSELF AFTER ONE USE】The abs code reader scan tool allows you to control the ABS/Airbag system and components to test which part was bad, including Auto Bleed Test/ Setup SDM Serial Number/ ABS Manual Control Tests/ ABS Motor Test/ ABS Version Test/ Actuator Tests, etc. To make sure the abs scanner tool will run more smoothly, please confirm if the NT630 plus will cover your vehicle before purchase via Amazon messages.
- ⛳【REFUSE ANNUAL INSPECTION FAILURE】This NT630 obd2 scanner diagnostic tool will scan all of your obd2 modules, show you the I/M readiness & E-mission status before the annual inspection. Monitoring the engine’s health, locate bad sensors, which cylinder was misfire and more engine’s faults. Guide you to do the maintenance work to make it safety driving again or to replace a new car. Reducing the potential driving risk and keep a great status for a safety journey.
- 🚩2022 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- [FOCUS ON BMW] - Creator has a variety of OBD2 code readers compatible for BMW/MINI, C501 is one of the most cost-effective scan tools for BMW/MINI vehicle owners. C501 Supports BMW/MINI between 1997 to 2020. 1997-2004 cars may need a 20-pin adaptor (not included).
- [FOR BMW/MINI] - Compatible with ECU systems including Drive, Chassis and Body all systems. Supported function including read and clear trouble codes, display live data stream, graph display, vehicle version information, clear adaptation, CBS reset, reset engine oil and battery registration, etc.
- [FULL SYSTEMS SCANNER] - Creator C501 is capable of reading and clearing trouble codes of all major systems, including engine, transmission, ABS, SRS, SAS, EPB, etc. Also supports body, chassis, powertrain and all control modules check. As a professional diagnostic tool for BMW/MINI full systems, C501 codes reader is also a universal OBD code reader for checking engine light, reading and erasing codes on all brands cars' OBD system.
- [EASY TO OPERATE] - Creator 501 uses 2.8" TFT 240K true color LCD display screen to indicate the test results , with the silicone keypad you can easily access to menu options. Rugged drop-proof case prevents falling. The menu layout on the screen is easy to understand and you can figure out how to do it easily.
- [VERY IMPORTANT] - The battery registration does not support BMW cars before 2004, and also does not support the E chassis (3'_E46, 5'_E39, 7'_E38, X3'_E83, X5'_E53, Z3'_E36, Z4'_E85/E86, MINI'_R50/R51, R52/R53). For above models, you just need to replace the battery directly, because these models do not require battery registration (at that time, there was no concept of battery registration).
- ABS/SRS/Engine/Transmission System Scanner: Autel ML629 not only can figure out the emission-related engine problem, but also can get quick access to the Anti-Lock Braking System / Airbag System / Engine / Transmission systems and diagnose these 4 systems’ conditions. It reads codes, clear codes, and read live data to help you turn off the MIL, ABS & SRS warning lights.
- Complete OBD2 Functions: This OBD2/EOBD code reader is compatible with all OBD2-compliant vehicles with full OBD2 functions. It can pinpoint any emission problems of the car engine by the Full OBD2 functions. Read Codes, Erase Codes, I/M Readiness, Live Data, Freeze Frame, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, Vehicle Information, and Component Test.
- DTC Lookup & Vehicle Information: Designed with a built-in DTC library, this OBD2 scanner provides you with the ability to look up the definition of diagnostic trouble codes. Up to 10000+ codes are available in this DTC electronic dictionary. No need to look up codes on the Internet. In addition, it can identify the car automatically and retrieve the car information (VIN, CIN, and CVN).
- Upgraded Version of ML619 / AL619: As the upgraded version of ML619/AL619, ML629 can read enhanced codes, graph data, and erase codes in Anti-Lock Braking System, Airbag System, Engine, and Transmission system. Being cost-effective with only a small extra budget, this code reader enjoys more benefits with a wider range of vehicle coverage. It supports internet updating via USB and data printing via PC.
- The Newest Version in 2020: As the newest version in 2020, this Autel OBD2 scanner supports most 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN) – domestic and import, including some latest models. Free update for lifetime via Mac/Win PC. With a 1-year warranty, 30-day free return & replacement service, and 24-hour customer service, this OBD2 scanner gives you excellent user experience.
- 🎁 Conact Seller to Get Free Gift 🎁 Same Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Fast Delivery by Amazon🎁 Lifetime Free Update🎁 5 YEARS Warranty.
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Functions Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Lifetime Free Update] Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem. Large size Color Screen; Print Function; Print the diagnose result easily; With user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK. Lifetime free update by windows.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- B800 Airbag Scan/Reset Tool work for BMW between 1994 and 2003, This is a very easy to use tool that comes with instruction manual to help you diagnose problems.
- Models available for most BMWs built between 1994 and 2003 - Displays all SRS fault codes, tells you what's wrong.
- SRS airbag light reset tool for BMW,Reset the dashboard SRS airbag light within seconds.
- Note: B800 can not work for 2001 BMW 330i.
- Package contents: 1 x B800 SRS Scanner And Resetter Tool for BMW(DCVS2745YL/DE) 1 x OBD-II to 20 Pin Adapter Cable 1 x Instruction Manual.
- 【IMPORTANT NOTICE】 We have discovered a bug in our app that has been affecting users since early November that is causing some users unable to scan ABS, SRS, and other OEM features as it should. We're happy to announce that it has now been resolved. Please update the device via RS2 and please make sure to not drive your vehicle while updating the device.
- 【Fix With Confidence】 Scan and diagnose DTCs with pinpoint accuracy through Innova’s car code reader. Get real solutions for your car’s specific make and model verified by ASE Master Technicians.
- 【Easy Application】 Download our free app RepairSolutions2 in the App Store or Google Play Store. Innova’s in-app features will tell you exactly what the problem is and how to properly diagnose it with professional advice.
- 【Modern Features】 Get access to professional features such as an all system scan normally available only on high-end scanners. Read and clear ABS, SRS, check engine light, and more fault codes. Reset oil lights, view brake pad life, oil life, tire pressures, and transmission temps.
- 【Live Data】 Monitor your vehicle’s health in real time. Understand on-going issues as well as expected future problems such as oil change and maintenance schedules.
- 【ABS & SRS Scan Tool 】 Help you diagnose issues with both anti-lock braking system (ABS) and internal airbag system (SRS); test their sensors, valves, or solenoids; and keep track of any threats in real time to prevent unexpected damage with these 2 essential safety systems, which a normal OBD2 scanner cannot do. Compatible with GM, Nissan, Fiat, Benz, Volvo, LandRover, BMW, USAFord.
- 【3 Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this diagnostic tool, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 Quickly tell you the exact cause behind the check engine warning light. This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a fully-featured obd2 code reader; can read/clear engine light codes, show live data, and do I/M readiness test ... to solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. Plus, it has the now-popular DTC lookup library to save searching repair materials online.
- 【User-Oriented 】 Physically, you will like the feel of this obd2 scanner with the black rubber grip thing all around the outside edge. Durable enough to stand the accidental drop. Thanks to its easily accessible menu, you can operate all functions in minutes, with the press of a few buttons. 3-color LEDs intuitively indicate if everything's good, there's a warning, or there's a serious issue. There’s even an LED integrated into the connector port so you can hook it up in darkness.
- 【Worry-Free Purchase 】 You can update this scan tool through an internet USB to have the latest software for its optimized performance, with no extra costs throughout all its using life. We offer you 1-year quality backup period with 30-day unconditional return & replacement policy. TOPDON offers reliable customer support on Facebook during weekdays. Search “TOPDON Official” on Facebook and contact us via message. Multilingual Menu: EN, FR, ES, DE, IT, RU, PT, and JP.
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 🔔【Oil/SAS/Throttle Reset】Significant benefits!! ☑️With the same cost, since October 2022, Add New 3 reset functions. Launch CRP123E code reader car diagnostic tool with reset including Oil /SAS/Throttle Reset to maintain your vehicle systems safely and efficiently. One-Click "Upgrade" operation to obtain 3 special reset functions.
- 🎉【2022 New Elite Version, Upgraded Of FOXWELL Car Scanner NT604 Elite/ANCEL FX2000/CRP123】 LAUNCH CRP123E obd2 scanner can check ABS/SRS/AT/ENG systems & 10 OBD2 modes, read and clear fault codes,💡Online Google Search, 4 IN 1 Graphing ，Stores and playbacks dynamic data stream, helps to quick analysis and diagnosis. what's more, you can generate a vehicle health report by one-click and share to your email via Wifi which can help avoid blind maintenance, offer solution, save time and money.
- ☑️【ABS/SRS/Engine/Transmission Diagnostic Tool +Battery Voltage Test& AUTOVIN】Wi-Fi one click update +Battery Voltage Test +Auto Vin+Record History; One-click wifi update and free for fixing more bugs; Realtime battery voltage graphing helps to Judge the state of the battery; Auto Vin, facilitate accurate diagnosis and provide useful information; Save the historical diagnosis report, replay the data flow, and provide you with useful parameters to prevent unnecessary repair
- 🔔【One to one Technical feedback and support】 Base on cloud server of launch，the “feedback function” can get the professional guidance of Launch Engineer.An excellent choice for family car owners. No extra paid updates, keep your diagnostic software updated and coverage increased, saving you even more money. 🎁Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner💡Fast 7.0 Android💡16GB Memory💡5" touch HD screen💡6100mAh Rechargeable Battery
- 🎁【5-Year Warranty &10 Language Free To Use】 Launch CRP123E scan tool supports 10 languages. Choose your native language without encountering any sort of language barrier--English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Traditional Chinese. 🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
Last update on 2022-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.