March 10, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V156000
In the event of a crash, the head restraints could detach, and increase the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V156
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 258
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2021 X5 sDrive40i, X5 xDrive50i, X5 M50i, X5 xDrive45e, 2021 X7 xDrive40i, X7 M50i, and XB7 vehicles. The head restraints on the second-row outer seats may be the incorrect type for the vehicle.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the head restraints, and replace them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 3, 2021. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 52 04 21
RECALL 21V-156: OUTER HEADREST SECOND ROW
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 3) replaces SI B52 04 21 dated March 9, 2021.
What’s New (Specific text highlighted):
- Recall # added to SIB title
- Inspection Procedure clarification
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|G05||X5 Sports Activity Vehicle||February 8, 2021 – February 15, 2021|
|G07||X7 Sports Activity Vehicle||February 8, 2021 – February 15, 2021|
Vehicles which require this Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
BMW AG issued a Delivery Stop (effective February 26, 2021) on certain Model Year 2021 BMW X5 SAV and X7 SAV vehicles that were produced between February 8, 2021 and February 15, 2021. This has been changed to a Safety Recall as of March 9, 2021
The Recall Notice and Q&A have been attached for further information.
Left and right outer headrests may have been installed which do not have a positive stop movement limiter at their highest position.
Check each headrest for the presence of the positive stop. If missing, replace the headrest.
The checking procedure can be performed while kneeling on the rear seat cushion facing rearward.
- On either outer headrest, squeeze the headrest height release button (yellow arrow) at the seatback top retaining collar.
With your other hand, raise the headrest as far as possible with a light effort. Do not use excessive force to attempt raising the headrest. You may only see a maximum of 3 visible notches on the headrest rod.
If the headrest cannot be lifted out of the seat, the positive stop is present.
This headrest is thereby OK.
Note: The presence of 4 or 5 notches from B52 04 21 Revision 2 on the headrest post does not matter on a headrest which cannot be pulled out of the backrest.
An “OK” headrest cannot be pulled up high enough to view those lower notches. The 4th or 5th notch only pertains to a headrest which can be pulled out, which is Not OK.
Usually only 2 or 3 notches are visible on the post when the headrest is up against its positive stop.
After a headrest has been fully pulled out from the backrest, a supplemental check as to the Not OK status is the presence of only 4 notches on either post.
The photo shows a 5th notch (circled) but this does not matter because the headrest was easily pulled out. That is the main criteria for a Not OK headrest.
Repeat Step 1 on the other headrest.
If the headrest can be easily lifted out, continue to Step 2.
- Headrests which
Can be easily pulled completely out of the backrest, AND
Have either 5 or 4 notches in the posts which are only visible once the headrest is off the vehicle
Mark the headrest “NOK” (not OK) with a permanent marker or paint pen so that it cannot be confused for a good headrest
- Replace the headrest with a new unit. Confirm that there are 5 notches on the headrest post. A new replacement headrest with only 4 notches is not correct, because it is for a different model.
- Push the new headrest fully down into the backrest so that both posts lock into the seatback internal retainer.
- Repeat Step 1 to ensure that the new headrest cannot be easily pulled fully out of the backrest.
- Retain the original NOK headrest(s) that were removed until claim payment. Handle these parts accordingly.
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK (EPC) by VIN or model in place of using/invoicing the following part numbers may result with the wrong part numbers being invoiced and installed, this could delay the payment of the claim.
|Part Number||Description and color code||Quantity|
|52 20 7 939 509||Rear headrest, Black Merino leather VASW||Max. 2|
|52 20 7 939 503||Rear headrest, Black Vernasca leather MCSW||Max. 2|
|52 20 7 939 501||Rear headrest, Coffee Vernasca leather MCHF||Max. 2|
|52 20 7 939 506||Rear headrest, Coffee Merino leather VAHF||Max. 2|
|52 20 7 939 508||Rear headrest, Tartufo Merino leather VATQ||Max. 2|
Stop-Sale Override during Vehicle RDR: Recall Repair Completed
You will need to have the repair order (RO) number and the RO close date to retail (RDR) an affected vehicle only after it is repaired as required.
Recall-Specific Flat Rate Labor Operation Codes – Current Status
The special flat rate labor operation codes listed below (Main and Plus) for this Recall repair that must be used to allow for claim submission will be available shortly
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the applicable work package information below, and when required, the part number listed above that applies.
Completion before the first vehicle delivery to a customer or the vehicle is already in the workshop
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Plus work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 1||00 70 798||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right (No repair is necessary)||3 FRU|
|# 2||00 70 799||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right, replace one side||3 FRU|
|# 3||00 70 800||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right, replace both sides||3 FRU|
The vehicle arrives at your center and this Recall shows open (No other Main work will be performed or claimed during this workshop visit)
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Main work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 4||00 70 264||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right (No repair is necessary)||5 FRU|
|# 5||00 70 265||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right, replace one side||5 FRU|
|# 6||00 70 266||Check head restraint in 2nd row of seats on left and right, replace both sides||5 FRU|
Only one of the flat rate labor operation codes listed above can be used for claim submission and reimbursement. Also, only one Main work flat rate labor operation code can be claimed per workshop visit.
Claim Repair Comments
Only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and the claim comments (For example: B52 04 21 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
Based on the issue and the age of the Affected Vehicles being addressed by this Safety Recall Campaign, a reimbursement request for a qualifying prior customer-pay repair is not likely.
However, if you receive a reimbursement request from a customer for a prior repair that may qualify, please contact the Warranty department (include a legible copy of the invoice) through IDS by selecting Coverage, Policy, Coding Questions and Mileage Corrections. The Warranty department will review and respond to your inquiry accordingly.
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS BULLETIN
|Technical inquiries||Submit feedback at the top of this bulletin|
|Warranty inquiries||Please contact the Warranty department by either using the Live Chat that’s available in the Warranty Documentation Portal or through IDS by selecting Coverage, Policy, Coding Questions and Mileage Corrections|
|Parts inquiries||Submit an IDS ticket to the Parts Department|
Attachment to B52 04 21
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 21V-156: Outer Headrest Second Row – B52 04 21
BMW AG issued a Delivery Stop (effective February 26, 2021) on certain Model Year 2021 BMW X5 SAV and X7 SAV vehicles that were produced between February 8, 2021 and February 15, 2021. This has been changed to a Safety Recall as of March 9, 2021.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Attachment to B52 04 21
Q1. Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Q2. What is the specific issue?
The headrests in the outboard seats of the second row may have been designed for a different vehicle model.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other models have been equipped with the appropriate headrests in the second row.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter requesting you to make an appointment to have this Safety Recall performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
Q6. How did BMW Group become aware of the issue?
BMW Group became aware of the issue through its quality control procedures.
Q7. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
Letters will be mailed to owners in May via First Class mail advising them of this Safety Recall and requesting them to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the remedy performed. Owners can locate their nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealer. To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free and will give them access to factory-initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q8. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The outboard headrests in the second row will be inspected and, if necessary, replaced for free and may take about an hour.
Q9. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of ensuring that the necessary tools, parts, and procedures are available prior to contacting owners to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have this important Safety Recall performed. For the latest updates to this Safety Recall, owners should visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
4 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Remedy Instructions re SIB 52 04 21 RECALL 21V-156: OUTER HEADREST SECOND ROW
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Memo re BMW Recall 21V-xxx: Outer Headrest Second Row – Update
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- ★ FLEXIBLE: Features Elasticated Bottom Band, One Size fits Most Size OEM BMW head rests - Cars or Trucks with Bucket Seats, Measures Approximately 11”x10”.
- ★ These BMW headrest covers will Protect your headrest from dirt and daily wear and tear. Easy to wash, keep your headrest always clean.
- ★ MATERIAL: Soft Elastic Fabric that stretches and contours to your headrest. Soft and comfortable to your head and skin.
- ★ A Set Includes Two BMW Headrest Covers with BMW logo embroidered in the center. Great Way to Upgrade and Personalize Your Vehicle’s Interior, Perfect for Gift Giving to your family or friends or motor club friends.
- ★Buy It Now With Confidence, To guarantee your 100% satisfaction with our BMW head rest covers,We provide 100% satisfaction guarantee: 30 days worry-free return.
- 🚘 MATERIAL /// Using Pu Senior Leather, Perforated Breathable Design, Greatly Improving The Comfort Of The Head.
- 🚘 DESIGN/// Bone U-shaped Design, Better Fit The Neck Bit. Small Design Makes It Does Not Take Up Car Seat Space.
- 🚘 PROTECTION/// It Protects And Relieves Your Neck Soreness During Long-distance Driving. Effectively Supports Your Head And Brings You A More Comfortable Driving Experience.
- 🚘 SUITABLE /// For Long-distance Travel And Daily Use With Motorsport Elements, Suitable For Bmw Series M Models, Other Models.
- 🚘 INSTALLATION /// Easy To Install, Just Pull The Elastic Strap And Place It On The Neck Of The Seat, Easier Than Snap Installation.
- ★[Premium Quality] Our BMW headrest cover for car is made from highly elastic polyester material and comfortable and breathable mesh material, which is very suitable for your car seat headrests. Soft elastic fabric that stretches and contours to your headrest.
- ★[Universal Size] Our BMW headrest covers is measuring 11'' x 10'' inches. One size fits most car headrests - cars or trucks, SUV etc.. Set of 2 head rest covers give your car headrest cover a cool appearance and extend its service life.
- ★[Keep Clean] Our headrest cover help update the appearance of old or dirty seats and protect your headrest from dirt and daily wear and tear. And our head rest covers can easily wash in the water. Dry it in the wind or sunshine. You don't need to worry about them fading. It is a perfect car decoration.
- ★[Amazing Gifts] Upgrade and personalize your vehicle's interior with printed BMW logo on the headrest covers. Making your car outstanding and more attractive. Perfect for Gift Giving to your family or friends or motor club friends.
- ★[100% Satisfaction Guarantee] Hurry up and add to the shopping cart. We provides 100% satisfied service and guarantee. Any problem please feel free to contact us. We will offer you satisfactory solutions.
- ★Our Head Rest Covers Is Measuring 11.5” x10.5 ” inches,Will Fit Most Vehicles, Please Check Gap Dimension To Make Sure There Is Still Space For Things To Fit In. It’s Made to A Very High Standard, Which Gives This Car Headrest Cover A Good Look And A Super Long Life.（please measure the size of the headrest before buying）
- ★Slip-on design makes for an easy installation. No tools required.Stretchable fabric and color blends easily with your car interior
- ★Protect headrest from dirt and normal wear and tear，Protect headrest from dirt and normal wear and tear
- ★headrests is the best gift for friends, relatives, husbands and colleagues.
- ★Buy It Now With Confidence, This Best ★ headrest cover★ We provide 100% satisfaction guarantee: 30 days worry-free return,Our goal is for you to be 100% satisfied with the purchase.
- 1.It is mainly designed to provide you the support your head and neck.Applicable to BMW any model
- 2.This pillow will comfortably support your head and neck. Make your driving life more comfortable and safer.
- 3.It will not deform and is shrink-proof. Its compact design makes it ideal to take everywhere.
- 4.Neck Pillow was created to give you support and maintain your proper posture. Foam shaped to your body and retained heat to alleviate tension muscles.
- Applicable models-Our car seat cushions are compatible for BMW I3 2013-2018,which adds 2 head pillows and 2 Waist Pillows than the standard.
- Environmentally friendly materials-the creative combination of high-quality artificial leather and polyester fiber makes your seat cover beautiful and comfortable. This Automotive Seat Cushion is very thick and will not deform after prolonged use. The high-quality PU leather is not only wear-resistant, but also waterproof, and will not be full of toxic rubber or resin odors, providing you and your family with a healthy and comfortable driving environment.
- Easy to take care of-to provide better protection for your car seat, you only need to clean it with a wet towel; after installing our seat cover, if you have cats or dogs or other pets, they will not be in your Scratches are left on the seat.
- Unique design-we adopt three-dimensional full-enclosed design, simple and atmospheric, to provide comprehensive protection for your seat. The design of reserved airbag bomb outlets will escort your safety. The pocket design on the seat back is convenient for you to store books, tissues and data cables. Humanized design, and will not affect the use of the original car seat function.
- We promise-if the seat cover has some defects, for example, the leather is broken because our workers did not sew the seat cover, please contact us and we will actively deal with it for you.
- Universal Fit: Fits most types of vehicles, MPVs , SUVs ,BMW. 【Attention: This car coat hanger fits best on straight headrest posts with a distance of 3.74~6 in 】
- Easy to install: Raised the headrest up; Placed the “base” of the car coat hanger in position (locks on headrest posts); Install other parts; Lower the headrest. (No need to remove the headrest)
- Detachable Multifunctional Car Coat Hanger: Use as a hook to hang bags after removing the top part; Features a spring-loaded hook at the apex for hanging in a closet; Easy to remove the entire car hanger by one simple press of the button.
- Space Saving & Wrinkle-Free: Converts the headrest into a storage space to hang coat, suit, clothes, handbags, etc and keep from chaos. Doesn’t leave imprints in the shoulder area of your coat.
- High Quality & Patented Design: Holds up to 50lb. Made of high quality ABS. Durable, environmental, stylish with patented design.
- Protection for your neck and relax your muscles.
- Driving more comfortable and healthy.
- Easy to install & clean up.
- Universal to most type of cars.
- The main function is to protect the neck. In the event of a crash, due to collision of the enormous impact of the head would suddenly thrown back, so that the crew was more serious, even fatal injuries. Neck pillow can effectively prevent the floating car and neck caused by a long bend , fatigue, pain.
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API