NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V248
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 47,806
Electric Auxiliary Water Pump Failure
If the circuit board were to overheat, it can increase the risk of a fire.
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2011-2012 BMW 550i, 550i xDrive, 550i Gran Turismo, 550i Gran Turismo xDrive, 750i, 750Li, 750i xDrive, 750Li xDrive, 760Li, X5 xDrive50i, X5 M, X6 xDrive50i, X6 M, ActiveHybrid7, MINI Cooper S Convertible, John Cooper Works (JCW) Convertible, Cooper S Countryman, Cooper S Countryman ALL4, Cooper S, JCW, Cooper S Clubman, JCW Clubman, Cooper S Roadster, JCW Roadster, Cooper S Coupe, JCW Coupe and Rolls-Royce Ghost, 2011 BMW X6 Hybrid and 2012 BMW 650i Coupe, 650i xDrive Coupe, 650i Convertible and 650i xDrive Convertible vehicles. The electric auxiliary water pump may fail and cause the circuit board to overheat.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the electric auxiliary water pump, free of charge. Depending on the model, there are currently limited parts available, however not all parts are available at this time. Owners will be notified of the recall beginning June 11, 2018, and will receive a second notification when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact BMW customer service at BMW 1-800-525-7417, MINI at 1-866-825-1525, or Rolls-Royce at 1-877-877-3735. Note: BMW recommends that owners park their vehicle outdoors until the recall remedy has been performed.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|SI M17 01 18
RECALL 18V-248: ELECTRONIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP
New information provided by this revision is preceded by this symbol .
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B11 05 18 dated April 2018
- Situation updated
- Procedure has been added
- Parts Information has been added
- Warranty Information has been added
|N14/N18||R55 MINI Cooper S Clubman, MINI JCW Clubman|
|N14/N18||R56 MINI Cooper S, MINI JCW|
|N14/N18||R57 MINI Cooper S Convertible, MINI JCW Convertible|
|N14/N18||R58 MINI Cooper S Coupe, MINI JCW Coupe (2 Seater)|
|N14/N18||R59 MINI Cooper S Roadster, MINI JCW Roadster (2 Seater)|
|N18||R60 MINI Cooper S Countryman, MINI Cooper S Countryman ALL4|
The electronic circuit board of the auxiliary coolant pump could short circuit. This short circuit may cause the auxiliary water pump to overheat. In rare cases where overheating occurs, a fire in the engine compartment is possible.
This Recall Campaign) involves Model Year 2008 – 2012 MINI vehicles with N14 and N18 engines that were produced from June 2007 through September 2011.
Approximately 23,164 vehicles are affected by this recall.
Affected vehicles show the campaign as “Open” when checked either in Warranty Vehicle Inquiry, AIR or ISPA
Next and identified with the description: 0011740400 M170118 Recall: Electronic Auxiliary Coolant Pump
Customers affected by this recall will be notified via First Class Mail in early June 2018.
Replace the auxiliary water pump for the turbocharger. Refer to Repair Instruction RA 11 53 590 Removing and installing/replacing auxiliary water pump (N14, N18) for replacement of the pump and proper coolant bleeding procedures.
|1||Auxiliary water pump||11 53 7 630 368|
|2||Hose clamp||11 53 7 546 422|
|See sublet below||ANTIFREEZE||82 14 0 031 133|
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
The vehicle is already in your workshop
|Labor Operation:||Labor Allowance:||Description:|
|00 66 630||9 FRU (R55, R56, R57, R58, R59); 10 FRU (R60)||Replace auxiliary coolant pump (Plus work)|
The vehicle arrives at your workshop for this Recall repair
|Labor Operation:||Labor Allowance:||Description:|
|00 66 072||11 FRU||Replace auxiliary coolant pump (Main work)|
Sublet – Bulk Materials
|Sublet Code 4||Up to $10.00||Reimbursement for the repair-related bulk materials
(Do not use the part numbers for claim submission)
Sublet reimbursement calculation for claiming repair-related bulk materials (BMW part numbers) is at the dealer net price for the “quantities used” plus your center’s handling.
Enter this material cost in sublet and itemize the amount on the repair order and in claim comment section.
And, as applicable:
When additional work and/or parts are required as a “direct result” of the issue being address in this Service Information bulletin, claim these items under the defect code listed above together with the corresponding labor operations listed in the KSD2.
Please explain the reason for this repair work (the why and what) on the repair order and in the claim comments section.
And, as applicable:
Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS) for Vehicle Owners
This Recall repair qualifies for Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS) expense reimbursement, claim this item under the Defect Code noted above as follows:
- Sublet Code 2 – Itemize the AMS sublet amount on the repair order and in the claim comment section.
Please refer to SI M01 01 17 for additional information.
TREAD Act – Previous Customer-Pay Repairs
If your dealer is presented with a reimbursement request for a “qualifying customer-pay repair” that was performed on an “affected vehicle” prior to the release of this Recall Service Information bulletin, MINI USA, a division of BMW of North America, LLC (“MINI USA”) will reimburse this previous repair.
Customer-pay Invoice Review and Reimbursement Procedure
- Review and verify that the previous customer-pay invoice (BMW center or independent repair shop) contains a repair that was performed to “address the issue” described in this “Recall” Service Information bulletin.
- If this prior repair qualifies, reimburse the customer (labor and parts).
- Submit for this customer-paid repair expense under Defect Code 85 99 00 12 NA, as follows:
- Sublet Code “3”
- Dollar amount (with no markup)
- Comment: Recall Campaign 18V-248: Electronic Auxiliary Water Pump – Reimbursement for allowable expenses that relate to performing a prior qualifying customer-pay repair.
- Itemize the sublet amount on the repair order and in the claim comments
- Retain the “original” customer pay invoice in your files; this documentation may be requested by BMW during the claim review process).
Note: A previously reimbursed repair, a repair performed on a non-affected vehicle, and/or, the diagnosis and repair of other “unrelated issues” on an affected or non-affected vehicles does not qualify for reimbursement.
This claim submission for the “prior customer-pay reimbursement,” when it is submitted as outlined under Defect Code “85 99 00 12 NA,” will not close the “Open” Safety Recall on the vehicle.
The applicable “open” Recall repair must still be performed on the vehicle.
SI M17 01 18: ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION MEASURES (ATM)
For this recall, please use the following alternate transportation measures for those customers who have concerns about driving their affected BMW vehicle while they wait to have this safety-recall completed.
A. Enhanced Car Rental Procedure
For those customers with eligible Affected Vehicles needing mid to long-term alternate transportation car rentals, please refer to the Enhanced Car Rental Procedure option attachment for important information about:
- The rental car allowance;
- Safety-Recalled BMW_Vehicle Condition_Assessment Form; and the
- Self-Storage Agreement.
The following is required to be performed prior to supplying the customer the rental vehicle and submitted via the email address below within two (2) business days of supplying the rental vehicle:
- Fully complete the attached Safety Recalled BMW Vehicle Condition/Assessment Form and if applicable, the Self-Storage Agreement (Save either as pdf or print and scan to attach to the email)
- Create an email with the Subject: Safety Recall Rental Request – VIN: ####### (Customer’s VIN- last seven)
- In the body of the email, please include the start date of the rental, the part number(s) that are not available and any other information that is relevant to the situation
- Provide a center contact person’s name, phone number and email address.
- Please send this VIN-specific email to email@example.com with the completed Safety Recalled BMW Vehicle Condition/Assessment Form and if applicable, the Self-Storage Agreement attached for review.
A MINI NA representative will respond to your e-mail with instructions on how to proceed.
B. AMP Vehicles
Subject to availability and at the discretion of your center, provide the owner/operator of an Affected Vehicle in a comparable AMP Vehicle Loaner.
Owner/Operator Self-Storage Vehicle Agreement Form
With the customer’s agreement and consent, you may allow the customer to retain and self-store their affected vehicle until the parts and/or repair procedure become available for this safety-recall.
Please print out the attached Owner/Operator Self-Storage Agreement Form and fill in the recall and customer’s information. Please have the customer read and sign this agreement.
A copy of the customer’s completed and signed vehicle storage agreement form must be maintained in your center’s Vehicle History File and if necessary, be provided to BMW NA upon request.
Please, also keep copies of all the corresponding safety recall parts and/or SIB-related information and documentation, vehicle’s condition/assessment form and rental car invoices in the customer’s Vehicle History File as applicable.
If you have an escalated customer situation concerning this safety-recall, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Please include the customer’s name, their 17-character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and a brief explanation of their Safety Recall-related issue.
Safety Recall Repair Completion
As with any repair, once the corresponding safety recall-related parts and/or repair procedure become available from MINI NA, every effort must be made to immediately schedule service appointments at your center so this safety-recall repair can be performed on these vehicles.
Note: The client will have five (5) days after the safety-related recall repair (completion) date to pick up their vehicle.
After five days, any additional time he/she remains in the rental car vehicle will be at the owner’s/operator’s expense.
ATM CLAIM SUBMISSION INFORMATION
Reimbursement for this specific safety-recall related car rental expenses is via normal claim entry, as a separate line item, utilizing the following information:
|Defect Code:||11009999RV||Rental Reimbursement – Safety-Recall Parts
Supply/Repair Procedure Issues
|Sublet Code 3||Sublet at cost||Reimbursement for an alternate transportation vehicle through one of our preferred third-party rental car providers|
Mid to Long-Term Car Rentals
Due to the current part supply situation, MINI NA anticipates that some customers may require alternate transportation for thirty (30) days or more. As a result, you may have to submit more than one claim for rental car reimbursement, before your center has the parts necessary to fix an Affected Vehicle.
For these cases, MINI NA recommends that your center submit a claim for the rental car reimbursement at 30-day or monthly intervals (invoice after each 30 day or month of rental car usage); explain the situation in the claim comments; and reference the email you sent by date.
Please note: If the above Enhanced Car Rental Procedure is not adhered to and MINI NA does not receive the required email about this the rental, the corresponding claim submissions will be declined or debited.
Thank you for your continued cooperation and support.
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2018
View PDF attachment 2018-Aux.WaterPump-QA-(23Apr2018).
View PDF attachment M170118 Recall Notice.
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 18V-248: Electronic Auxiliary Water Pump B11 05 18
BMW Group is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective April 25, 2018) on certain Model Year 2008 – 2012 BMW vehicles with N63, S63 and N74 engines that were produced from November 2007 through November 2011. The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump for these turbocharged engines.
Owners will be notified by First Class mail about the Recall and will be instructed to bring their vehicles in for a free repair when parts are available.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Electric Auxiliary Water Pump for Turbocharger
Safety Recall 18V-248
Model Year 2007-2012
BMW / MINI
Last Updated 4/23/2018
|Q1.||Which models are included in this Safety Recall?|
|Included are approximately 46,996 vehicles (BMW – 23,164 / MINI – 23,832) in the US, with approximate volumes and production dates as noted below.
|Q2.||What is the specific issue?|
|The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on the models equipped with 4-cylinder turbocharged engines (MINI) and 8- and 12-cylinder turbocharged engines (BMW). The auxiliary pump is controlled electronically by an engine control unit. After switching off the engine, the electric auxiliary water pump conducts heat away from the turbocharger.
Under certain conditions, the pump’s electronic circuit board can malfunction. The malfunction can occur as a result of certain design features in combination with high operating temperatures.
|Q3.||What can happen as a result of this issue?|
|If the pump’s electronic circuit board malfunctions, it can overheat. In an extreme case, overheating of the circuit board can lead to smoldering of the water pump. If smoldering occurs, it cannot be excluded that this may also lead to an engine compartment or vehicle fire.
|Q4.||This sounds familiar. Was there a similar recall before?|
|Yes, the BMW Group conducted similar recalls in 2011 and 2012.
|Q5.||Why are additional models being added?|
|The pump supplier produced additional pumps that did not meet specifications.
|Q6.||Why are other BMW Group vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?|
|Other vehicles have a different electric auxiliary water pump design.
|Q7.||How did BMW Group become aware of this issue?|
|BMW Group became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
|Q8.||Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?|
|If you notice a plastic burning smell, or burning and/or smoke from the front of the vehicle, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue.
|Q9.||What should I do if I notice this condition in my vehicle?|
|Should this condition occur, pull off the road to a safe location away from traffic, and switch off the engine. If you notice a plastic burning smell, or burning and/or smoke from the front of the vehicle, do not open the hood. All occupants should carefully exit the vehicle and move to a location away from traffic. Do not continue to drive your vehicle.
Contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 or MINI Roadside Assistance at 1-866-646-4772 immediately to have your vehicle brought to the nearest authorized dealer.
|Q10.||Can I continue to drive my vehicle?|
|Yes. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this recall performed by an authorized BMW center / MINI dealer, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
|Q10a.||I am nervous about continuing to drive my vehicle. Can I get a loaner vehicle? Is alternate transportation available?|
|If you request a loaner vehicle and replacement parts are not available, we have directed our authorized BMW centers / MINI dealers to assist customers with alternate transportation needs.
|Q11.||Should I park my car in the garage, because this condition can occur when the engine is off? The BMW Group recommends parking your vehicle outdoors until repairs have been performed.
|Q12.||How will my vehicle be repaired?|
|The electric auxiliary water pump will be replaced on your vehicle.
|Q13.||Is BMW Group aware of any accidents, injuries or fires involving these BMW Group vehicles associated with this Safety Recall?|
|There are no known accidents or injuries associated with this Safety Recall. While the number of fires has not been confirmed, a limited number may be related to this issue.|
|Q14.||How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?|
|You will receive a letter in June via First Class mail advising you of this recall. Depending upon vehicle model and parts availability, this letter may request you to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center / MINI dealer to have this recall performed. In cases where parts are not immediately available, you will receive a second letter when parts become available, advising you to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center / MINI dealer at that time to have this recall performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealers or authorized MINI dealer at www.miniusa.com/dealer.
To ensure the BMW Group has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW or https://ol.miniusa.com/. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your vehicle.
|Q15.||How long will the repair take?|
|This repair will take approximately 1 hour; however, additional time may be required depending upon your dealer’s schedule. The repair will be performed for free by your authorized BMW center / MINI dealer.
|Q16.||Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?|
|Yes. We are in the process of implementing the recall campaign to ensure that the necessary parts are at the BMW centers / MINI dealers prior to sending out the owner notification letters. For the latest updates to this recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall or www.miniusa.com/recall.
|Q17.||I see the “TREAD Act Customer Reimbursement Plan” attached to my letter. Can you explain what that is about? Am I eligible for reimbursement?|
|If you have already had this repair performed at your own expense, you may be eligible for reimbursement of certain expenses that you incurred.|
SI M17 01 18
Owner Notification Letter – MINI
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- April 25, 2018 – Subject: Recall 18V-248: Electronic Auxiliary Water Pump
April 25, 2018
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- April 19, 2018 – Subject: Recall 18V-XXX: Electronic Auxiliary Water Pump
April 19, 2018
May 3, 2018
- 1 GALLON ENGINE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT: Fully compatible with other extended life antifreeze/coolants. This item contains a bittering agent called Denatonium Benzoate.
- PROTECTS: Advanced formulation prevents rust & corrosion protecting all cooling system components
- DESIGNED FOR EUROPEAN VEHICLES: Recommended for use with BMW, Jaguar, Volvo, and other European vehicles that require a BLUE Silicate-Enhanced Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (Si-HOAT) formula
- GUARANTEED: When installed as part of a complete flush and fill, PEAK guarantees this coolant will provide service life protection of up to 150,000 miles or 5 years.
- 50/50 PREDILUTED FOR QUICK TOP OFFS: Already prediluted to make topping off your cooling system a breeze
- [Vehicle Fitment]: Compatible with BMW 525i (E61) 2004-2005 2.5L // 525i/525xi (E60) 2006-2007 3.0L // 528i 2008-2010, 528xi 2008, (E60) 3.0L // 530i (E60) 2004-2007, 530xi (E60/E61) 2006-2007, 3.0L // 535i 2008-2010, 535i xDrive 2009-2010, (E60,E61) 3.0L // 535xi 2008 3.0L // 545i (E60) 2004-2005 4.4L // 550i (E60) 2006-2010 4.8L // 550i GT (E61) 2010 4.4L // 645Ci 2004-2005 4.4L 63,E64) // 650i 2006-2010 4.8L (E63,E64)
- [Reference Number]: 17137542986, 17137519219, 17137652986, 603-351, 603351, 376789731, 7542986, CRT205000S, EPK0128, FRT1915C, FRT1906C, Z49011
- [Specifications]: ① Pressurized: Yes; ② Max Pressure Rating (Cap): 22 PSI; ③ Type (Cap): Spring Loaded Twist; ④ Number of Mounting Hole: 1; ⑤ Cap and Sensor Included: Yes
- [Functions]: Using stable and outstanding PA plastic materials can withstand excessive heat and vibration. Helping to reduce oil dilution, cylinder bore wear, fuel consumption, exhaust emission, and improving efficiency of the heating system.
- [Customer Support]: A-Premium expension tank comes with a 1-Year Unlimited-Mileage Warranty; Being brand-new and sturdy, this expension tank is the ideal choice for direct replacement. We extremely value your satisfaction and strive to provide you good shopping experience.
- High performance
- CONTAINS ALUGARD PLUS FOR COMPATIBLITY WITH ALL ETHYLNE GLYCOL-BASED COOLANTS in automobiles and light duty trucks.Fit Type: Universal
- FIGHTS CORROSION, SCALING AND RUST while protecting all cooling system metals (including aluminum)
- HIGH-QUALITY ADDITIVES PROTECT AGAINST LEAKS and won’t harm gaskets, hoses, plastics or original vehicle finish
- PRE-MIXED YELLOW FORMULA IS READY-TO-USE in a 50/50 ratio with deionized water to protect all modern engine components from winter freezing (-34F) and summer boiling (265F).
- To use it in all makes and models designed to use ASTM D3306
- 【Compatible】This Water Hose Fitting Fits 3.0L Twin-Turbo N54 (3.0-Litre Twin Turbo) Motors 335i, 335xi, 135i and the N53 (3.0-Litre Non-Turbo) 2006 - 2010 325i, 330i, 525i, 525xi, 528i, 528xi, 530i, 530xi and the N20 (2.0-Litre Turbo) Z4 2013-, and the N52 X3.This Fitting also Suitable for N55 Motors.Please Refer to the Detailed Description or Use the Adaptation Table.
- 【Replaces#】11537541992, 11537544638.Please Check the OEM Part Number and Make Sure Your Part Number Matches this Part Number Before Buying!
- 【Function】Upgraded Water Hose Fitting is Made from High Strength Aluminum,Grade 6061 T6511,Durable and Wear-Resistant.
- 【Premium Quality】100% Brand New.Made of High Quality Material. Tested & Certified to Meet or Exceed OEM Quality Standards.All Products are 100% Tested Before Leaving the Factory.
- 【12-Month Warranty】The Automatic Transmission Filter come with 12 Months Warranty. Hassle-free Return and Refund Policy. Please Buy it with Your Confidence.
- [Vehicle Fitment]: Compatible with BMW (E46 Sseries) 320i 2001-2005 2.2L // 323Ci 2000 2.5L // 323i 1999-2000 2.5L // 325Ci 2001-2006 2.5L // 325i 325xi 2001-2005 2.5L // 328Ci 2000 2.8L // 328i 1999-2000 2.8L // 330Ci 2001-2006 3.0L // 330i 330xi 2001-2005 3.0L // (E83 E53 Series) X3 2004-2010 2.5L/3.0L // X5 2001-2006 3.0L
- [Reference Number]: 603-535, 17137787039, 17111436413, 17117573781, 17132247553,EPK0018, EPT0018, FRT1901C, S49002
- [Specifications]: ①Pressurized: Yes ②(Cap)Maximum Pressure Rating: 30PSI ③(Cap)Type: Spring Loaded Twist ④Materials: (PA)Plastic ⑤Mounting Hole Quantity: 1 ⑥Product Contents: (1) Cap & (1) Sensor &  Clamp
- [Functions]: Using stable and outstanding (PA) plastic materials can withstand excessive heat and vibration. Helping to reduce oil dilution, cylinder bore wear, fuel consumption, exhaust emission, and improving efficiency of the heating system.
- [Customer Support]: 1 Year Unlimited-mileage Quality Guarantee; With brand-new and being sturdy and, this Coolant Reservoir is the ideal replacement. We extremely value your satisfaction and strive to provide you good shopping experience.
Last update on 2023-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.