An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death.
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2007-2013 X5 xDrive30i, X5 xDrive35i, X5 xDrive48i, X5 xDrive50i and X5 M vehicles, 2008-2014 X6 xDrive35i, X6 xDrive50i and X6 M vehicles, 2009-2013 X5 xDrive35d vehicles and 2010-2011 X6 ActiveHybrid vehicles. These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger frontal air bag, these inflators may explode due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 4, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|SI B65 02 19
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS
RECALL 19V-XXX: PASSENGER’S FRONT AIR BAG MODULE
New information provided by this revision is preceded by this symbol .
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E70 (X5 incl. Diesel)||E71 (X6, incl. M)||E72 (X6 ActiveHybrid)|
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective January 14, 2019) on certain BMW X5 and X6 SAV vehicles that were produced from December 20, 2006 through June 25, 2014. This recall involves vehicles equipped with “non-desiccated Takata PSPI-2 inflators” which need to be replaced.
Owners will be notified by First Class mail about the Recall and will be instructed to bring their vehicles in for a free repair in early March 2019.
To assist you with customer concerns, please reference the attached Q&A
Approximately 83,016 vehicles are affected by this recall. This is an expansion to the previously announced recalls 16V-364, 17V-020 and 18V-030.
|19V-XXX ~ 83,016 vehicles Defect code 0072990100|
|E70 (X5 SAV, incl. M)||Dec 2006 – June 2013|
|E70 (X5 SAV diesel)||Mar 2008 – June 2013|
|E71 (X6 SAC incl. M)|
|E72 (X6 ActiveHybrid)||April 2009 – September 2011|
Defect Code 0072990100 is now displayed in the “Open Campaigns” paragraph of the Warranty History Inquiry on DCSnet, in the Key Reader, in ISPA and in AIR. Always reference open campaigns to determine if the vehicle is part of this recall.
Replace the passenger’s front air bag assembly.
Please record exterior cosmetic condition of dashboard cover on the Repair Order prior to any repair.
Follow ISTA Repair Instructions for removal/installation of air bag assembly:
- REP 72 12 000 – Removing and installing or replacing air bag module on passenger side
In addition to the repair instructions and to assist you in performing this repair, refer to a step by step video on how to remove the air bag from the vehicle.
It is necessary to document which air bag goes into which vehicle. Therefore the technician is required to note on the repair order the serial number of the new air bag. The serial number should also be entered into the warranty claims comment section.
The dash cover and center console have sharp edges that can cut into the dashboard or seat during removal. Take precautions to prevent contact that can damage the interior.
After installation of the air bag, if there are any noises during the road test:
- Check whether the dashboard is installed correctly. Indications of an installation problem include: Uneven gaps around the dashboard, excessive gaps, and contact between the windscreen and dashboard.
- Follow Non Electrical Diagnosis (NED) Test Plan to repair the noise(s). The NED test plan can be found under the Function Structure tab, 03 Body, 01 Noise, Instrument board and center console interference noise: ABL-DIT-B65116_E70MECH1
This test plan will show different countermeasures for noise(s) based on the location of the noise.
Please monitor the Parts Matrix and DCS messages for the parts ordering procedure.
|72 12 6 995 901||Air Bag Passenger Front (Final repair part)||1|
|07 11 9 905 949||Hex Hut M6||8|
Note: Only request and invoice the applicable part number specified and listed in this Service Information bulletin. Performing a part number look-up in ETK/EPC by VIN or model will result with the wrong part being invoiced.
The parts replaced to perform and submit for this Recall repair procedure are the property of BMW NA.
Your center is responsible for the proper identification, storage and documentation of these parts. They must be held in a secure retention area until notification of claim payment is made by BMW NA through DCSnet.
Upon claim payment, a DCSnet part return tag will be generated for the driver’s front air bag module with special handling instructions.
l Please DO NOT return these recalled air bag modules directly to Lightning Resources or the WPRC.
Inflatable air bags are classified as dangerous goods by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and require special preparation, packing and labeling for transport.
Your center is responsible for following all rules and regulations that apply to shipping dangerous goods as described in the attachment.
A shipping procedure has been created for returning the replaced air bag modules directly to Takata. There is also a procedure available for “Bulk Shipping 15 or more air bag modules” at one time to Takata.
These procedures are contained in the “Part Return Program Instructions” and “Bulk Ship” PDF attachments to this bulletin; please read both of them. Effective immediately, please use the following email address when scheduling bulk shipment returns to Takata:
The parts are to be packaged in the same packaging that the new part arrived in for shipment back to Takata.
The returns pickup schedule has been changed from weekly to every two weeks (bi-weekly)
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the information below:
|Labor Operation:||Labor Allowance:||Description:|
|00 67 186||34 FRU||Replace the front passenger air bag module (Main work)|
|00 67 755||32 FRU||Replace the front passenger air bag module (Plus work)|
|And, when applicable|
|00 67 756||2 FRU||Additional work for vehicles with the rear entertainment (DVD) system (SA 6FF)|
To determine which defect code should be used for a specific VIN, please enter the VIN in to AIR (1), or use the key reader/ISPA Light application. Additionally, the defect code that applies to each VIN is displayed in the Warranty Vehicle Inquiry (2).
- The defect code is listed under the title “campaign number”
- The defect code is listed under the title “campaign code”
The serial number of the new air bag module must be entered as in the comment field of the warranty application. The claim will be rejected if the serial number is missing from the warranty claim.
And, as applicable:
Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS)
This Recall repair qualifies for Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS) expense reimbursement, claim this item under the Defect Code noted above as follows:
- Sublet Code 2 – Itemize the AMS sublet amount on the repair order and in the claim comment section.
Please refer to SI B01 29 16 for additional information.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
For this Safety Recall, prior repair reimbursement requests are not likely. Typically, a customer would have their air bag module replaced because it deployed as a result of an accident. In these cases, either an insurance company or the customer themselves pays for accident-related air bag module replacements. These cases are not covered by this recall and are not entitled to be reimbursed.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019
View PDF attachment 19V-xxx_E7X PAB QA_14Jan2019_final.
View PDF attachment B650219 Recall Notice.
View PDF attachment B650219_Parts_Bulk_Ship_Return.
View PDF attachment B650219_Parts_Return_Program_Instructions.
View PDF attachment B650219_Vehicle_Storage_Agreement_-Takata.
View PDF attachment REP 72 12 000.
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 19V-XXX: Passenger’s Front Air Bag Module (B65 02 19)
Owners will be notified by First Class mail about the Recall and will be instructed to bring their vehicles in for a free repair when parts are available.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
|Q1.||Which models are included in this Safety Recall Campaign?|
|Included are approximately 83,016 vehicles, with approximate volumes and production dates as noted below.
|Q2.||Which inflator is affected?|
|This recall campaign involves the Takata PSPI-2 inflator.
|Q3.||Why are other X5 and X6 vehicles not included?
The vehicles included in this recall are Model Year 2014 and older for Zone A, Zone B, and Zone C. See geographic areas by zone in Q13/14 response. Other X5 and X6 vehicles are already included in recalls 16V-364, 17V-020 and 18V-030.
|What is the fix?
The passenger’s front air bag module will be replaced.
|How long will the repair take?
This FREE repair may take approximately four hours; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule.
|Q6.||How will I be notified of this recall?
You will receive a letter by the beginning of March via First Class mail, advising you of this recall. To ensure BMW of North America, LLC has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your BMW vehicle.
|Q7.||Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
|Q8.||What options are available if it is too inconvenient for me to bring my vehicle to a BMW center for service?
There are a few options to help overcome the inconvenience of bringing your vehicle in for service like mobile repair, alternate transportation, pickup/drop-off, dealer events and towing. Contact your local BMW center to check what is available.
|Q9.||Is the driver’s front air bag in my vehicle affected by a recall?
You can check for open recalls by entering your vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.bmwusa.com/recall. A sample owner notification letter and Q&A are available if your VIN is affected. You can also call or visit your local BMW center’s service department.
|Q10.||Why is this recall just coming out now? I just had my drivers airbag recall performed.
The recall schedule follows the guidelines published by NHTSA in the May 2016 amended Takata Recall Coordinated Remedy Order.
General Takata Questions
|Q1.||What is the specific concern?|
|Takata’s investigation to date indicates that exposure to certain environmental conditions (several years of exposure to persistent conditions of high absolute humidity) could lead to overly aggressive combustion in the event of air bag deployment.
|Q2.||What is desiccant?|
|Put simply, desiccant is a substance with properties that enable it to soak up water vapor from the air surrounding it.
|Q3.||Why are other BMW models not included?|
|Other vehicles have frontal air bags that were produced with different inflators.
|Q4.||What can happen as a result of this issue?|
|In a crash where the air bag deploys, the air bag inflator housing may rupture and could cause metal fragments to pass through the air bag cushion material, which may result in injury or death to vehicle occupants.
|Q5.||Is it possible to find out whether the problem exists in my car?|
|No. There is no way to detect if your BMW might have an air bag inflator potentially at risk of rupturing upon deployment in an accident.
|Q6.||How did BMW become aware of this issue?|
|BMW became aware of this issue from Takata (the air bag module supplier) and NHTSA.
|Q7.||Can I continue to drive my vehicle?|
|Yes. However, you should have this service performed by an authorized BMW center as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
|Q8.||I did not receive a letter from BMW regarding my vehicle. How can I find out if my BMW is included in this recall?|
|You can check for open recalls a few different ways. You can enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) at www.bmwusa.com/recall and download a sample owner notification letter and Q&A if your VIN is affected. You can also call or visit your local BMW center’s service department. Make sure to update your contact information by registering at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
|What if I am not the current owner of this vehicle?|
|You can update your vehicle ownership information by registering at http://www.bmwusa.com/myBMW.
|Q10.||Am I eligible for reimbursement under the TREAD Act if I previously replaced my passenger’s front air bag module?|
|In this particular recall, reimbursement is likely not applicable, as you would typically have replaced your frontal air bag module as a result of an accident. In that situation, most likely your insurance company paid for the repair. However, in the very unusual (unlikely) scenario that you previously paid to replace the front air bag module “out-of-pocket” upon learning of this possible defect, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Additional information will be provided when BMW mails the letter asking you to make an appointment with an authorized BMW center.
|Q11.||I’m not the first owner of this vehicle and am concerned it may have been kept in a high humidity state. What can you tell me?|
|Any vehicle that was ever registered in hot and humid area as defined by NHTSA is given priority on the list of customers being notified about this recall.
|Q12.||Which states are considered to be high absolute humidity areas?|
|Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, and U.S. Virgin Islands.
|Q13.||What determines the prioritized locations that are associated with the most at-risk vehicles – and what is the average propellant degradation time in each?|
|Per the NHTSA, geographic zones have been established based on the temperature fluctuations and humidity and the exposure time required under those environmental conditions to degrade the propellant to the point where it poses an unreasonable risk to safety. High Absolute Humidity (“HAH”) definitions are as follows:
SI B65 02 19
SIB 65 02 19
SI B65 02 19
February 7, 2019
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value - each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- Weiman Products, LLC
- Health and Beauty
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- SIMPLE - Easy solution to clean, condition, and protect leather in a single application.
- ENHANCED APPEARANCE - This combination product will clean dirty leather as well as restore color to faded pieces of furniture or well used handbags.
- PROLONGED USE - neglected leather breaks down more quickly, fading and even cracking. By nourishing the surface and protecting it from UV rays you'll ensure your leather stays in the best possible shape.
- USA MADE VALUE - Manufactured in Florida with a value-sized bottle and complimentary applicator pad to ensure you can use it as soon as you open your package.
- A TRUSTED BRAND - TriNova has established itself as a leader in leather care, meaning you can purchase with confidence.
- CPR CLEANING PRODUCTS
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Dries within one hour - quick and convenient for regular use
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- Quickly & easily restores the color to all absorbent leathers
- Ideal for restoring the color to faded and worn leather
- 21 colors formulated for use on leather from a dark to light shade
- Great for re-coloring areas that have been exposed to sun light or direct heat
- Suitable for use on furniture, car interiors, clothes, shoes, handbags and any other item made from absorbent leather.
- Formulated for your leather furniture, looks and feels like the original finish
- Easy water clean up and will not rub off on clothing
- Restore and Repair Worn and Faded Colors, just look at the pictures!
- Easy to Use and kit comes with all you need to do the job right
- Also can be used on Handbags, Jackets, Shoes just about any leather item
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API