October 5, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V741000
The gear weld seam could break, resulting in a vehicle rollaway if the parking brake is not applied, and increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V741
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 1
A dealer will replace the electric drive unit, free of charge. The owner notification letter is expected to be mailed November 28, 2022. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Service Information Bulletin
October 17, 2022
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
RECALL 22V-741: REPLACING REAR DRIVE UNIT (HEAT)
Vehicles which require this Recall to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
It has been determined that a weld seam in the rear electric drive unit (HEAT XLR220) may not have been properly constructed.
In very rare cases, the weld seam may break due to strong acceleration. This is indicated by a sudden metallic noise from the rear drive area. Continuous driving is only possible or recommended at restricted speed.
Replacement of rear drive unit (HEAT XLR220).
Important Warning for Working on the High-Voltage (HV) systems on BMW Group vehicles:
Only properly trained personnel, who passed all applicable HV Technical Training Courses, should perform repairs which require disconnecting, or removal of High Voltage battery components on any Hybrid or Electric Vehicle. Work performed on High Voltage systems by unqualified persons may result in severe injury or damage to the vehicle. Additional safety information is found in Repair Instruction 61 00… “Observe safety instructions when handling electric vehicles”.
Scheduled Maintenance, or Quality Certification 1 (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on Electric or Hybrid vehicles does not require HV technical training.
Prior to disconnecting, or the removal of any HV component, the HV system needs to be disabled and secured (by means of the HV Disconnect Switch) by a properly trained technician, who has a minimum HV Qualification level after completing the Technical Training Course ST1824 (Alternative Drive Part 1). Once the vehicle’s HV system is disabled (the “Blitz” – lightning bolt icon displayed in instrument cluster, see below), a technician without HV Certification may remove a HV component (e.g., EH Heater, EKK Compressor, EME Control Unit, et.), except for the High Voltage Battery.
High Voltage Battery removal and rework can be performed ONLY by a HV Specialist Technician (certified by the Technical Training Course ST1825 – Alternative Drive Part 2), AND with a HV Battery Certification level corresponding to a specific Electric or Hybrid vehicle (e.g., to repair GEN4 battery of G05 PHEV, certification from Technical Training Course “ST2006 – SP44 HV Battery” is required).
Replace the rear electric drive unit as per repair instructions 12 35 531 – Replace rear highly-integrated electric drive topology
Note on parts availability: At the start of the technical campaign, only a very limited number of parts is available. For this reason, the existing parts will be allocated by the service centre according to respective market requirement. Provision of the parts can take several weeks.
Only use and invoice the applicable part listed number below.
|Part Number (P/N)||Description||Quantity|
|12 33 5A645E0||RP electric drive unit (220XLR)||1|
|33 17 6760336||Hexagon screw with washer (M14x1.5x133ZNS3)||4|
|33 32 6775040||Hexagon bolt with washer (M14x1.5×148)||4|
|61 27 9487464||Screw||4|
|33 13 1214961||Circlip (d=22.4)||2|
|33 30 6891268||Multi-purpose bolt||2|
|33 30 1544034||Eccentric screw (14×1.5×112 ZNS3)||2|
|33 55 6790913||Hexagon nut with collar (M10-10 ZNS3)||2|
|33 30 6861944||Hexagon bolt (M16x1.5×100)||2|
|07 11 9907136||Hexalobular socket screw (14×1.5×90-ZNS3)||2|
|34 20 6881294||BMW design clip||2|
|34 20 6850560||Hexagon bolt (M8X22)||4|
|07 14 6893779||ASA combination bolt (14×1.5×65 ZNS3)||4|
|31 20 6866022||Collar bolt with compression spring (M16x1.5×66)||2|
|07 12 9908011||Hexagon bolt with flange (M14x1.5×100)||2|
|33 30 6787062||Multi-purpose nut (M14x1.5-10ZNNIV)||2|
|07 14 8854416||Hexagon nut||6|
|33 30 6867271||Hex bolt (M14 x 1.5 x 84mm) rear suspension strut||2|
Bulk Materials – Sublet
|83 22 5A1D718||eFluid transmission oil (1 Liter)||1|
|83 19 2468442||HT-12 Coolant||Sublet as needed|
In late July 2022, during a dynamic driving test at a BMW assembly plant, a vehicle experienced an unusual noise when accelerating up a hill. An engineering review was initiated.
In August, initial reviews suggested that damage had occurred on the final drive gear of the transmission on the rear axle. Further analyses revealed that additional incidents had occurred to other vehicles during testing at the assembly plant. Analyses of these vehicles indicated that damage to the final drive gear had also occurred. A review of production records found that the final drive gears on these vehicles were produced during a specific production lot in late June.
On September 6, 2022, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary recall. At that time, all potentially affected US vehicles identified were within the control of BMW, were held at the US ports, and would receive an update prior to wholesale release into the US market.
Subsequent to the submittal of the Part 579 report, further reviews suggested that one additional vehicle, already in the US market, could potentially be affected. Additional analyses were performed, and it was determined that this one additional vehicle was potentially affected. Therefore, it was determined that a Part 573 report would be necessary.
On September 28, 2022, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall.
1 Affected Product
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V741-1993
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-22V741-6022
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Service Information Bulletin re RECALL 22V-741: REPLACING REAR DRIVE UNIT (HEAT)
Latest Recalls Documents
- 6 x 1L Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
- Part # 20032
- Made in Germany.
- Please see description below for compatible cars.
- Formulated with full-synthetic base stocks and advanced additive technology to meet the challenging demands of automatic transmissions.
- Enhanced anti-shudder protection for smooth shifting and maximum power transfer
- Developed with anti-wear technology to help improve transmission durability
- Engineered with a proprietary blend of base oils and advanced additives to provide better oil flow at low temperatures and greater film protection at higher temperatures
- A heavy-duty synthetic fluid developed specifically for ZF's range of automatic transmissions.
- Maximizes sounds dampening with its low viscosity and allows for reduced material wear as well as softer shifting operations due to constant friction behavior.
- Improves both lubricating-film-stability in all performance and temperature ranges and economy thanks to reduced fuel consumption.
- Replaces common OE fluids LRN13754 (Land Rover), G055005A2 (Volkswagon / Audi), and 83222305396 (BMW).
- OE replacement transmission oil pan,directly fit
- Fits BMW 125i 2009-2012, 125i 2008-2012, 128i 2006-2010, 135i 2008-2012
- Fits BMW 325Ci 2005-2006, 325i 2005-2012, 325xi 2006, 328i 2007-2012, 328i xDrive 2009-2012, 330i 2007, 335d 2010-2011, 535i 2008-2010
- Fits BMW 525i 2003-2010, 525xi 2006-2007, 528i 2008-2010, 528i xDrive 2009-2010, 530i 2003-2010, 740Li 2011-2014, X5 2011-2013
- Reference Number: 24101423380, 24117536387, 24117536388, 24117540844, 24117571217, 24117571235, 24152333907, 0440352, 265-851, 265851, 24152333907PRM
- Transmission Pan compatible with BMW E90 E91 E65 F01 E83 E53 E70 E85 E86 750i
- Replacement OEM ( Original Equipment Part) Number: 24117571227, 24117522923, 24347519357, 24-34-7-519-357, 24 11 0 403 404, 15 2 333 903, 34 7 571 211, 588 725, 227, 522 923, 0825018, 1068298075K, GA6HP26Z, TZV500010, C2C38963, LR007474, 24110403404, 24152333903, 24347571211, 24347588725
- DIRECT FIT - Direct replacement for a proper fit and easy installation. Quality materials used, meets or exceeds OEM standards, every product must take inspected and tested multiple times before the shipment.
- NOTICE - Please verify Fitment or Application, make sure our part will perfectly match for the original car before purchasing!
- WARRANTY - Aftermarket product order from Bapmic, we offer 1 Year Warranty, true worry-free shopping experience.
- Automatic Transmission Fluid (set of 6 bottles, 1 Liter each)
- NOTE: Equivalent to: Shell M-1375.4.
- BMW part# 83 22 2 220 445, note the mid-year splits.
- Recently made by ZF (OEM), not been lying around.
- PLEASE NOTE the MID-Year splits on PRODUCTION DATE. See Fitment Chart BELOW, under 'Product Description'. Email us your VIN.
- Brand New ZF PARTS Lifeguardfluid 8
- BMW OE#: 83 22 2 220 443
- ZF PARTS #: S671-090-312
- Fitment Notes: Fitment Notes
Notes: N52B30A EngineGA6HP19Z Trans.
- Direct fit replacement
- Installs the same as factory unit
- Same dimensions as Original Part
Last update on 2022-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.