December 9, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V761000
Increased electrical resistance can increase the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V761
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 812
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2021 M340i xDrive, M440i xDrive Coupe, 530i, 530i xDrive, 540i, 540i xDrive, 740Li, 740Li xDrive, 840i Gran Coupe, 840i xDrive Gran Coupe, X5 sDrive40i, X5 xDrive40i, X6 sDrive40i, X6 xDrive40i, and X7 xDrive40i vehicles. The connection between the 48-Volt battery and the starter-generator may not have been assembled properly, which can cause increased electrical resistance at the connections.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the connection between the 48-Volt battery and the starter-generator assembly, replacing it if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 12, 2021. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 12 01 21
RECALL 20V-761: CHECK 48 V CABLE CONNECTIONS ON STARTER GENERATOR (SGR)
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 2) replaces SI B12 01 21 dated February 2021.
What’s New (Specific text highlighted):
- Assigned Recall Number
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|G01||X3 Sports Activity Vehicle||November 16, 2020 – November 30, 2020|
|G02||X4 Sports Activity Coupe||November 21, 2020|
|G05||X5 Sports Activity Vehicle||September 30, 2020 – January 13, 2021|
|G06||X6 Sports Activity Coupe||October 2, 2020 – December 1, 2020|
|G07||X7 Sports Activity Vehicle||October 1, 2020 – January 11, 2021|
|G30||5 Series Sedan||September 9, 2020|
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
This is an expansion of recall 20V-761 that was launched in early December 2020.
The 48-Volt battery cable connections to the starter / generator (SGR) may not have been assembled to specifications. Over time, this could lead to increased resistance at the connection(s) and, in rare cases, a thermal event.
Check the M8 flange nuts and cable connections on the SGR. If necessary, replace the flange nut and torque to spec.
Check the positive (1) and negative (2) cables for play at the mounting lugs on the SGR.
If the connections are tight and the cables cannot be moved by hand– No further action is necessary
If there is play in the connection to the SGR –
Deactivate the 48 V electrical system (Repair instruction REP-TAT-P-6124-18-B47_48V)
Remove and discard the flange nut on the B+ or B- cable
Install a new flange nut so that it’s carefully started by hand to avoid cross-threading Torque to 19 Nm
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK (EPC) by VIN or model in place of using/invoicing the following part numbers may result with the wrong part numbers being invoiced and installed, this could delay the payment of the claim.
|07 14 3413174||Flange nut (rounds to 10)||Up to 2|
Q1. Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Certain vehicles equipped with a 48‐Volt battery, specifically Model Year 2021 BMW 3 Series, 4 Series Coupe, 5 Series, 7 Series, 8 Series Gran Coupe, X5 SAV, X6 SAC, and X7 SAV models in the US, produced between June and October 2020, are potentially affected.
Q2. What is the specific issue?
The 48‐Volt battery cable connections to the starter / generator may not have been assembled to specifications. Over time, this could lead to increased resistance at the connection(s) and, in rare cases, a thermal event.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other models have been assembled to specifications.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. How did BMW Group become aware of the issue?
BMW Group became aware of the issue through our quality control procedures.
Q6. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
Letters will be mailed to owners in January via First Class mail advising them of this Safety Recall.
To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free and will give them access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q7. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The 48 Volt battery connections will be inspected and, if necessary, replaced.
The field continue to be monitored. In December 2020, two more incidents were reported.
Inspections of these incidents / vehicles showed characteristics that were similar to previously inspected vehicles in which the 48-Volt battery positive cable connection to the starter-generator was suspect. The fastening nut did not appear to be seated properly on the starter-generator assembly’s bolt.
Further reviews of vehicle manufacturing records indicated that the two incident vehicles had been sent to an assembly plant rework station, as had vehicles which were identified and were previously reported. Upon further review, it has been determined that a number of additional vehicles were subject to a rework process in which the 48-Volt battery positive cable connection to the starter-generator was suspect.
On February 10, 2021, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall.
BMW has not received any reports, nor is otherwise aware, of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.
9 Affected Products
18 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20V761-0094
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V761-1068
Miscellaneous Document – 20V-761 Amendment Additional ChronologyRMISC-20V761-0310
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Service Information Bulletin re RECALL: CHECK 48 V CABLE CONNECTIONS ON STARTER GENERATOR (SGR) 2021-02-19 – This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 1) replaces SI B12 01 21 dated February 2021
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-2RCLQRT-20V761-3233
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Remedy Instructions re SIB 12 01 21 RECALL 20V-761: CHECK 48 V CABLE CONNECTIONS ON STARTER GENERATOR (SGR)RCRIT-20V761-0393
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V761-8478
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Dealer Notification re Safety Recall 20V‐761 48‐Volt Battery Connections Model Year 2021RCRIT-20V761-1656
Remedy Instructions and TSB – Remedy Instructions re RECALL 20V-761: CHECK 48 V CABLE CONNECTIONS TO THE STARTER GENERATOR (SGR)
Recall 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V761-6088
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-1RCLQRT-20V761-7850
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2021-3
Latest Recalls Documents
- High Quality and Fast Ships from USA
- This is an Aftermarket Part.
- Package Included: 1x Positive Battery Cable
- [PREMIUM QUALITY] Battery Cable is designed to provide a solid connection to your vehicle's battery. For quality assurance, our Battery Cables are tested for conformance to product standards.
- [FITMENT] Positive battery lead replacement for BMW 2008-2013 128i 135i, 2006 325i 325Xi, 2007-2013 328i 335i, 2008-2013 M3, 2013 X1, etc.
- [REPLACE PART NUMBERS] 61129217031, 61 12 9 217 031, 61126988974, 61126938495.
- [EASY TO INSTALL] Direct replacement for a proper fit and easy installation, quality materials used, meets or exceeds OEM standards, 100% tested before shipping.
- [SERVICE GURANTEE] This Positive Terminal to Battery Cable complete with 2-Years warranty. If you have any problem, feel free to contact us.
- Fits positive or negative battery terminals of BMW 323I,325CI,325I,325XI,328CI,328I, 330CI,330I,330XI,525I,528I,530I,540I,M3,M5,Z4, 2007-2014 Cadillac Escalade,2007-2013 Chevy Avalanche,Suburban 2500,2007-2014 Chevy Silverado 1500,Silverado 2500,Silverado 3500,Suburban 1500,Tahoe,2007-2014 Gmc Sierra 1500,Gmc Sierra 2500,Gmc Sierra 3500,Gmc Yukon,Gmc Yukon XL 1500,2007-2013 Gmc Yukon XL 2500,2002-2008 Mini Cooper,2008-2010 Saturn Vue,1999-2003 Volkswagen Eurovan,VW Golf,VW Jetta
- Replace part number: Dorman 64740, GM 19116852, VW 6X0-915-138, BMW 61128373946
- Trustworthy quality: OE Style Terminal Bolt easy to replace your broken factory bolts. Made from quality materials to ensure reliable performance, perfect replacement for the battery terminal.
- BMW battery terminal t bolt replacements: Exact part needed so that battery can securely be tightened down and allow for 100% contact. Helpful Tips: Do not over tighten this. These are made to break easily so as not to cause damage to the battery or the battery cable and terminals.
- 20 Years Warranty BMW Battery Terminal T-Bolt: We will issue refund or arrange reshipment within 20 years, if this chevy battery terminal t bolt have any quality issue.
- Enough to Meet Your Needs: the package contains 8 pieces of battery terminal t bolt kit, including 8 pieces of bolts, 8 pieces of nuts and 8 pieces of washers, sufficient in quantity to meet your daily use and replacement demands
- Sturdy for Long Time Use: made of quality stainless steel material, the t bolt is compact and stable in structure, not easy to break, deform or rust, with fine manufacturing process, to ensure reliable performance and long service life, providing you with a pleasant experience
- Ideal Replacement Parts: the battery terminal t bolt is an ideal replacement for original equipment, matching the fit and function of most factory parts of specified year, brand and model, you can use it with confidence
- Easy to Install: the battery terminal bolt is simple to install, you just need to install it manually at the target location, just takes a few seconds to install, no tools or instructions are required, saving you time and energy
- Range of Applications: these car battery bolts are compatible with 64740 GM 19116852, VW 6X0-915-138 and BMW 61128373946; They are reliable replacements for an original part which is missing or has failed due to long time use
- Part Number: 19116852, 6X0915138,64740
- Aftermarket replacement for 19116852
- High quality, durable and last long
- Easy to use
- Package Include: 2x Bolt, 2x Nut ,2x Washer
- 【Applications】Positive Battery Terminal Cable Lead Compatible with BMW 2007-2013 328i(Coupe) 335i(Coupe), 2007-2011 328i(Sedan) 335i(Sedan), 2007-2012 328i(Wagon), 2009-2012 328i(xDrive) 335i(xDrive), 2008-2013 128i 135i M3(Coupe), 2006 325i(Sedan) 325xi(Sedan) more vehicle please refer to the following compatibility list. Find your vehicle before purchase, thank you.
- 【Alternate Part #】61129217031, 61136982227, 61126938495, 61126988974
- 【OEM Fit】This Positive Battery Terminal Cable Lead Wire is manufactured by the OE specification to provide a consistent appearance and direct-fit.
- 【Excellent Performance】The Battery Terminal Cable is designed to provide a solid connection to the vehicle's battery, the battery safety terminal kit have been tested to ensure trouble-free installation and performance.
- 【Warranty】12 Month Warranty. If you are unsure the application or any other problem with the Battery Cable Lead, plz message us with your VIN or vehicle information, we will reply you within 24 hours.
- Direct replacement - this battery terminal bolt matches the fit and function of the factory part on specified years, makes and models
- Ideal solution - this bolt is a reliable replacement for an original part that is missing or has failed due to fatigue
- Durable construction - this part is made from quality materials to ensure reliable performance and long service life
- Trustworthy quality - backed by team of product experts in the United States and more than a century of automotive experience
- Ensure fit - to make sure this part fits your exact vehicle, input your make, model and trim level into the garage tool
- FITS THESE VEHICLES:BMW 2008-2013 128i 135i; 2006 325i 325Xi; 2007-2013 328i, 335i; 2008-2013 M3; 2013 X1; etc. Please check the description for all vehicles.
- Replace OE#:61129217031, 61 12 9 217 031, 61126988974, 61126938495.
- Maximum Durability, Good Corrosion Resistance,High temperature resistance.
- High quality rubber is used to protect the inner wire body to extend the service time.
- 1 year warranty for easy replacement.
Last update on 2022-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.