October 17, 2016 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 16V747000
In the event of a crash where heavy braking is applied, the Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) may activate when the occupant is more forward in the seat, possibly increasing the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V747
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components SEAT BELTS
Potential Number of Units Affected 15,455
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2016-2017 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i, MINI Hardtop 4 Door Cooper, Mini Hardtop 4 Door Cooper S, MINI Cooper Clubman, and Cooper S Clubman, 2017 Rolls-Royce Ghost, and 2016 528i vehicles. The vehicle-sensitive locking mechanism of the seat belt Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) for the driver’s seat may not lock as designed. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 209, “Seat Belt Assemblies.”
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver’s seat belt assembly, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 2, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 72 02 19
RECALL 16V-747: EMERGENCY LOCKING RETRACTOR (ELR)
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Non-Compliance Recall (effective May 9, 2019) on certain Model Year 2016-2017 BMW 5 Series and X1 SAV vehicles that were produced from May 2016 through October 2016. Due to a supplier production issue, the Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) of the driver safety belt may be out of specification.
Approximately 7,383 vehicles are affected by this delivery stop/recall.
Affected vehicles show the campaign as “Open” when checked either in Warranty Vehicle Inquiry, AIR or ISPA Next and identified with the description: STOP211783 B720219 Recall: Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR).
All of the other systems including DAR and the RDR system will show the Stop Sale Sign starting tomorrow. Please utilize the Inventory Campaign Details under ROSS which shows all vehicles that have a Stop Sale in your inventory.
The Recall Notice and Q&A have been attached for further information and the bulletin will be updated when more information becomes available.
picture_as_pdf B720219 Recall Notice.pdf
NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 16V-747: Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) – B72 02 19
BMW of North America, LLC is conducting a Voluntary Non-Compliance Recall (effective May 9, 2019) on certain Model Year 2016-2017 BMW 5 Series and X1 SAV vehicles that were produced from May 2016 through October 2016.
Owners will be notified by First Class mail about the Recall and will be instructed to bring their vehicles in for a free repair when parts are available.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Q1. Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this issue?
Approximately 15,483 BMW Group models in the US, as noted below, are potentially affected.
|Series||Model||Model Year||Approx. Volume||Production Dates|
|F48||X1 SAV||2016 – 2017||7,382||May 2016 – Oct 2016|
|F10||5 Series||2016||1||June 2, 2016|
|F54||Cooper Clubman||2016 – 2017||5,102||May 2016 – Sept 2016|
|F55||Cooper Hardtop 4-Dr||2016 – 2017||2,970||May 2016 – Sept 2016|
|RR4||Ghost||2017||28||Aug 2016 – Sept 2016|
Q2. What is the specific issue?
Due to a supplier production issue, the Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) of the driver safety belt may be out of specification. Therefore, it may not fully conform to a Federal Regulation (FMVSS 209 – Seat belt assemblies) as it slightly exceeds a performance requirement. The safety belt is also equipped with a secondary ELR that is fully functional.
Q3. What can happen as a result of this issue?
In a crash, the vehicle occupant may be in a slightly more forward position when the ELR activates which could increase the risk of injury. The safety belt is also equipped with a secondary ELR that is fully functional.
Q4. Why are other models not affected?
Other models have been produced with parts produced to specification.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
Q6. How did BMW Group become aware of the issue?
BMW became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
Q7. Is BMW Group aware of any accidents or injuries associated with the issue?
Q8. Can customers continue to drive their vehicles?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter requesting you to make an appointment to have this recall performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q9. How will I be informed of this Recall?
You will receive a letter in July via First Class mail advising you of this recall. You will receive another letter when the recall is ready to be performed. At that time, you should immediately schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have this recall performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealers.
To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give them access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q10. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The driver’s seatbelt will be replaced. The repair will be performed for free and can take up to one hour. Additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule.
Q11. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. We are in the process of implementing this Non-Compliance Recall to ensure that the necessary parts, tools, and procedures are available, prior to contacting you to schedule your vehicle to have this Non-Compliance Recall performed. For the latest updates to this recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
8 Affected Products
12 Associated Documents
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report/FMVSS 209
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 2
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Subject: BMW Recall 16V-747: Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR)
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
NHTSA Originated Correspondence
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Subject: MINI Recall 16V-747: Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR)
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Recall 573 Report – AMENDMENT 3
Latest Recalls Documents
- Protects and preserves your car's rich look
- Helps prevent cracking fading discoloration and premature aging
- Brings out a beautiful deep shine with a non-greasy finish
- Safely cleans away dirt, dust and debris
- Renews and revitalizes vinyl rubber and plastic
- Multi-surface cleaning and restoration that delivers that “just detailed” look
- Clean and restore with a natural matter finish
- Non-greasy, residue-free formula
- Safe for all vehicle surfaces when used as directed
- Perfect for consoles, steering wheels, fabric, vinyl, dashboards, running boards, display screens and more.
- Protects against UV damage to help prevent cracking, fading and discoloration of automotive interiors
- Enhances depth of color with a medium shine, leaving a non-greasy finish
- Renews and revitalizes vinyl, rubber and plastic
- Shields against dust, dirt and lint buildup
- Trusted Armor All protection to keep your car looking like new
- Convenient, disposable wipes protect your car's rich look
- Original protectant wipes renew and revitalize vinyl, rubber and plastic
- Cleaning wipes easily remove ground-in dirt, dust and grime
- Glass wipes easily removes filmy residue, road grime, bugs, fingerprints and more
- Lint-free-won't leave greasy residue on hands
- 3-in-1 formula cleans and details your entire vehicle from bumper to bumper between washes
- Effectively cleans dust and lint on interior surfaces
- Removes dirt and pollen from exterior paint
- Cleans glass to a streak-free shine
- Great for vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather, glass, tech screens, paint and wheels
- Powerful cleaning for automotive surfaces
- Convenient disposable wipe removes ground-in dirt, dust & grime
- Natural matte finish
- Great for car dash, vinyl, fabric, carpet, consoles, leather & more
- Won’t dry out, damage or fade automotive surfaces
- Tire Shine Spray: 2 count pack of Armor All Car Tire Shine Spray
- Car Tire Care: Conditions, nourishes and protects your tires to make them look great for longer
- Protects from Cracking and Fading: Car tire cleaner spray protects from harmful elements that can cause cracking and fading
- Intense Shine: This car care product contains extra gloss enhancers to add to the intense, mirror-like shine and rich, black look
- Prevents Overspray: Precision applicator prevents overspray, making it easy to apply the tire shine spray evenly
- Leather Care Wipes: 2 count pack of Armor All Ceramic Leather Cleaning Wipes, includes Ceramic Leather and Extreme Protectant Wipes
- Stain Blocker: Stain repelling technology provides long-lasting protection from liquids and stains
- Convenient Clean: Car leather cleaner and conditioner is formulated to make leather easier to clean
- Protect and Maintain: UV blockers in these leather care wipes protect and maintain leather
- Safe for Variety of Leather: Dye-free formula is safe for heated leather car seats, perforated leather surfaces and leather of any color
- Car Cleaning Supplies: One 30 count canister Armor All Glass Wipes and one 30 count canister of Armor All Original Car Protectant Wipes
- Vinyl Protectant: Convenient car wipes in two formulas to safely clean auto glass, vinyl, plastic and rubber
- Interior Care: Armor All Protectant cleans, shines and protects your car interior
- Glass Cleaner: Armor All Glass Wipes remove road grime, filmy residue, fingerprints and bugs
- UV Protection: Interior car cleaner restores luster and fights UV damage
Last update on 2022-07-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.