NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V473
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 1,645
Fuel Gauge may Read Higher than Actual Level
An incorrect fuel reading may lead to the vehicle stalling and increase the risk of a crash.
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2018 BMW M5 vehicles. The fuel level sensor in the fuel tank may become stuck against an in-tank fuel line, causing the fuel gauge to display an inaccurate and possibly larger amount of fuel than is actually available.
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will secure the in-tank fuel line to keep the fuel line from contacting the fuel level sensor, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 10, 2018. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Check if your BMW has a Recall
|SI B16 07 18||July 2018|
|Fuel Supply Systems||Technical Service|
DELIVERY STOP & RECALL 18V-XXX: FUEL LEVEL SENSOR
New information provided by this revision is preceded by this symbol .
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B16 07 18 dated July 2018
- The repair Procedure, Parts and Warranty information have all been updated
BMW Group is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective July 11, 2018) on Model Year 2018 BMW M5 vehicles that were produced from January 16, 2018 through June 25, 2018. The fuel gauge may display incorrectly.
Approximately 1,647 vehicles are affected by this delivery stop and recall.
Affected vehicles will show the campaign as “Open” when checked either in Warranty Vehicle Inquiry, AIR or ISPA Next and identified with the description: 0016380200 B160718 Recall: Fuel Level Sensor.
The distance between a fuel line on the fuel delivery unit (in-tank fuel pump) and the fuel level sensor is too short. The line could come into contact with the fuel level sending unit linkage. This could stop the linkage from travelling to the empty position on the sender.
Install a cable tie to the in-tank fuel line to prevent the fuel line from coming in contact with the fuel level sending unit linkage.
Refer to attachment: B160718_Adjusting_the_In-tank_Fuel_Line.pdf
|Cable ties||2||61 13 1 382 243|
|O-Ring||1||16 11 7 188 567|
|Plastic nut||5||16 13 1 176 747|
|Access cover||1||51 71 7 430 971|
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the following information:
Completion “before” vehicle delivery to the customer or the vehicle is already in the workshop
|Labor Operation:||Labor Allowance:||Description:|
|00 66 768||8 FRU||Rework the fuel line of the delivery unit (Plus work)|
Completion after vehicle delivery to the customer (with no other Main work claimed)
|Labor Operation:||Labor Allowance:||Description:|
|00 66 171||9 FRU||Rework the fuel line of the delivery unit (Main work)|
TREAD Act – Previous Customer-Pay Repairs
Based on the small number affected vehicles and their current age (affected vehicles produced from January 16, 2018 through June 25, 2018), reimbursement requests for prior customer-pay repairs that specifically address the issue described in this Recall bulletin are not very likely.
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018
View PDF attachment B160718 Recall Notice.
View PDF attachment B160718_Adjusting_the_In-tank_Fuel_Line.
View PDF attachment 2018-F90-FuelLevelSensor-QA-(13Jul2018).
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Delivery Stop & Recall 18V-XXX: Fuel Level Sensor B16 07 18
BMW Group is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall (effective July 11, 2018) on Model Year 2018 BMW M5 vehicles that were produced from January 16, 2018 through June 25, 2018.
Owners will be notified by First Class mail about the Recall and will be instructed to bring their vehicles in for a free repair when parts are available.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Fuel Level Sensor
Safety Recall 18V-xxx
Model Year 2018
Last Updated 07/13/2018
|Q1.||Which BMW Group models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Approximately 1,647 Model Year 2018 BMW M5 models in the US, produced between January and June 2018, are potentially affected.
|Q2.||What is the specific issue?
The issue involves the fuel level sensor within the fuel tank. The distance between the sensor and an intank fuel line is too small, and may cause the sensor to get stuck.
|Q3.||What can happen as a result of this issue?
If the sensor became stuck, the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster would display a constant (and greater) amount of fuel than is actually available. This could lead to stalling, and increase the risk of a crash.
|Q4.||Why are other BMW Group vehicles not included in this Safety Recall? The fuel level sensor in other vehicles does not experience this condition.|
|Q5.||How did BMW Group become aware of this issue?
BMW Group became aware of this issue through its quality control procedures.
|Q6.||Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
If you notice that the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster seems to indicate a fuel level that does not change, your vehicle may be experiencing this issue.
|Q7.||Can I continue to drive my vehicle (before I receive my letter)?
Yes. However, when you receive a letter asking you to have this Safety Recall performed by an authorized BMW center, please do so as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
|Q8.||How will my vehicle be repaired?
The in-tank fuel line will be securely fastened so that it does not contact the fuel level sensor.
|Q9.||Is BMW Group aware of any accidents, injuries or fires, in the US, involving these BMW Group vehicles associated with this Safety Recall?
|Q10.||How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
You will receive a letter in August via First Class mail advising you of this Safety Recall and requesting you to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have this Safety Recall performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealers.
To ensure the BMW Group has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register your vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your vehicle.
|Q11.||How long will the repair take?
This repair will take approximately 1 hour; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s schedule. The repair will be performed for free by your authorized BMW center.
|Q12.||Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. We are in the process of implementing this Safety Recall campaign to ensure that the necessary parts, tools, and procedures are at the BMW centers prior to sending out the owner notification letters. For the latest updates to this Safety Recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
SI B16 07 18
SI B16 07 18
August 13, 2018
- Cleans and Lubricates Fuel System: The product contains a blend of detergents and additives that help to clean and lubricate the fuel system, including the fuel injectors, carburetor, and combustion chamber.
- Improves Fuel Economy: The product can help to improve fuel economy by removing deposits and contaminants from the fuel system and improving the efficiency of fuel combustion.
- Reduces Emissions: By improving fuel combustion, the product can also help to reduce exhaust emissions, including harmful pollutants such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides.
- Increases Power and Acceleration: The product can also help to increase power and acceleration by improving the flow of fuel through the system and reducing the buildup of deposits that can impede engine performance.
- Neutralizes Low Sulfur Fuel Problems: Lucas Oil 10013 Fuel Treatment contains a blend of detergents and additives that help to neutralize sulfur and other harmful contaminants that may be present in the fuel system. The detergents work to clean the fuel injectors and carburetor, which can become clogged with sulfur deposits over time.
- The more an engine is driven, the more carbon deposits can build up on fuel injectors, intake valves and ports
- Gumout High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner is specially formulated to remove carbon deposits from engines with more than 75,000 miles
- Cleans fuel injectors, intake valves and ports to restore performance, fuel economy and prevents future carbon build-up, which reduces emissions
- Oxygen sensor safe and safe for use in turbocharged and supercharged vehicles
- Recommended use every 3,000 miles and will not void OEM/manufacturer’s warranty
- QUALITY ASSURED
- Reduces: rough idle, engine surge, hesitation, and spark plus fouling
- 20 oz. bottle.
- Improves: cold start performance, and fuel stability for up to one year
- UNLEASH YOUR ENGINE'S FULL POTENTIAL - Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment uses advanced enzyme technology to ensure all engines start easily and run smoothly, even after months of inactivity
- SAY GOODBYE TO ETHANOL-RELATED PROBLEMS - Prevents and cures most ethanol-related issues, including poor performance, rough idling, and decreased fuel economy, giving you peace of mind on the road or on the water
- MAXIMIZE FUEL ECONOMY - By removing and preventing gum, carbon deposits, and varnish build-up, Star Tron keeps your fuel delivery system clean, resulting in improved fuel economy
- WORKS FOR ALL ENGINES AND FUEL TYPES - Whether you have a car, boat, RV, or lawn mower, Star Tron works in all engines and all fuels, making it the ideal fuel treatment and stabilizer for any vehicle
- PREVENT WATER BUILD-UP - Helps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout fuel as submicron-sized droplets that are safely eliminated while the engine operates, keeping your engine running smoothly in humid or wet conditions
- Item Package Dimension: 11.749999988015L x 3.249999996685W x 3.249999996685H inches
- Item Package Weight - 1.99959271634 Pounds
- Item Package Quantity - 1
- Product Type - AUTO PART
- Makes engines start easily and run smoothly; improves MPG and reduces emissions
- Stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years and can help rejuvenate old, sub-spec fuel
- Cures and prevents ethanol fuel problems; helps prevent phase separation
- Cleans valves & injectors of carbon deposits, gums and varnish
- Small Engine Formula 14308 is safe for use in all engines (including 2-cycle pre-mix)
- Save gas by keeping fuel intake system clean
- Helps restore performance
- Removes deposits from entire fuel system
- Helps inhibit corrosion
- Compatible with cap-less fuel tanks
- Contains 100% High-Energy Solvent Technology
- Helps Keep Injectors Or Carb(S) And Intake Ports And Valves Clean
- Quickly Disperses Moisture And Dissolves Gum, Varnish, And Other Fuel Residues
- Disperses Moisture In Conventional Gasoline
- Quickly disperses moisture and dissolves gum, varnish, and other fuel residues
- Improves the quality of gasoline
- Saves gas by keeping fuel intake system clean
- Helps prevent fuel line freeze
- Prevents deposit buildup
- Compatible with cap-less fuel tanks
Last update on 2023-05-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.