March 24, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V199000
Fuel may leak through the failed weld, increasing the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V199
Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 17
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2021 X3 sDrive30i, X3 xDrive30i, X3 M40i, X3M, and X4, and 2021 X4 xDrive30i vehicles. The inlet check valve weld may fail, allowing the filling pipe to separate from the fuel tank.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
SIB 16 01 21
RECALL 21V-199: REPLACE THE FUEL TANK
This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 2) replaces SI B16 01 21 dated March 2021.
What’s New (Specific text highlighted):
- Recall number added
- Correction, Procedure, Parts, Warranty added
Please perform the procedure outlined in this Service Information on all affected vehicles before customer delivery. In the event the customer has already taken delivery of the vehicle, please perform the procedure the next time the vehicle is in the shop.
|E-Series||Model Description||Production Date|
|F97||X3 M Sports Activity Vehicle||March 3, 2021|
|G01||X3 Sports Activity Vehicle||March 3, 2021|
|G02||X4 Sports Activity Coupe||March 3, 2021|
Vehicles which require this Recall Campaign to be completed will show it as “Open” when checked either in AIR, the “Service Menu” of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System), ISPA Next or Warranty Vehicle Inquiry.
The fuel tank may not have been produced to specifications. Over time, and due to factors, such as certain driving conditions and road vibrations, this could lead to a fuel leak. Fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire.
The Recall Notice and Q&A have been attached for further information.
Replace the fuel tank.
Follow Repair Instruction 16 11 030 Removing and installing fuel tank (draw off without fuel and fill).
Only use and invoice the part numbers below that apply.
Performing a part number look-up in ETK (EPC) by VIN or model in place of using/invoicing the following part numbers may result with the wrong part numbers being invoiced and installed, this could delay the payment of the claim.
|16 11 8481589||Plastic fuel tank (65 liters)||1|
|31 10 6760122||Hexagon bolt (M8X30-10.9-ZNS3)||4|
|07 12 9952119||Hose clamp (L42-48 )||1|
|07 14 7204294||Hexagon nut with washer (M8-8.8-ZNS3)||1|
|07 14 9148299||Oval-head screw (M10X22)||1|
|33 32 6760340||Torx screw with washer (M12x127-10.9)||8|
|16 11 7216523||O-ring||1|
|33 12 7607158||Recessed nut repair kit (M39x1.5×20)||1|
|G01/G02 B46 Small parts of exhaust system|
|18 30 5A09B63||V-clip (D = 80.0 mm), G01 B46||1|
|18 30 7525607||Hexagon nut (M8) G01 B46||1|
|07 11 9906089||Collar nut (M8-8-SC-ZNNIV) G01 B46||3|
|G01/G02 B58 Small parts of exhaust system|
|18 30 8623284||Clamping collar (D=80.0 mm)||1|
|18 30 7525607||Hexagon nut (M8)||1|
|07 11 9906089||Collar nut (M8-8-SC-ZNNIV)||4|
|F97 Small parts of exhaust system|
|18 30 8053348||Seal (D=70 mm)||2|
|18 30 7525607||Hexagon nut (M8)||6|
|07 11 9904024||Hexagon nut (M8-ZNS3)||4|
Additionally, other small parts that are not specified above, such as one-time use screws, nuts and seals, which must be replaced according to the ISTA repair instructions/ETK, must be selected from the Electronic Parts Catalogue according to the respective vehicle type. Invoice these items under the special Defect Code for this repair.
The parts replaced to perform and submit for this Recall repair procedure are the property of BMW NA.
Used fuel tanks are classified as dangerous goods (DG) by the Department of Transportation (DOT), used fuel tanks require special preparation, packing and labeling for transport.
Your center is responsible for following all rules and regulations that apply to the proper documentation and shipping of dangerous goods (DG).
Any return requested Recall parts that are not received by the WPRC within 60 days of the claim credit date may be subject to debit.
Reimbursement for this Recall will be via normal claim entry utilizing the applicable work package information below and the part numbers listed above that apply:
|Defect Code:||0016610200||G01 G02 F97 Replacing fuel tank|
Completion before the first vehicle delivery to a customer or the vehicle is already in the workshop
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Plus work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 1||00 70 820||Replace the fuel tank (includes extracting and topping up the fuel in the tank)||39 FRU (G01/G02)|
44 FRU (F97)
The vehicle arrives at your center and this Recall shows open (No other Main work will be performed or claimed during this workshop visit)
|Work Pkg||Labor Operation||Description (Main work)||Labor Allowance|
|# 2||00 70 285||Replace the fuel tank (includes extracting and topping up the fuel in the tank)||40 FRU (G02/G01-B46 AWD)|
41 FRU (G01-B58/G01-B46 RWD)
45 FRU (F97)
Only one of the flat rate labor operation codes listed above can be used for claim submission and reimbursement. Also, only one Main flat rate labor operation can be claimed per workshop visit.
Claim Repair Comments
Only reference the SIB number and the work package (Pkg) number performed in the RO technician notes and in the claim comments (For example: B16 01 21 WP 1), unless otherwise required by State law.
And, as applicable:
Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS) for Vehicle Owners (RO and Claim Comments Required)
This Recall repair qualifies for Alternative Mobility Solution (AMS) expense reimbursement, claim this item under the Defect Code noted above as follows:
Sublet Code 2 – Itemize the AMS sublet amount on the repair order and in the claim comment section.
Please refer to SI B01 29 16 for additional information.
Reimbursement of Prior Customer-Pay Repairs (TREAD Act)
Based on the issue and the age of the Affected Vehicles being addressed by this Safety Recall Campaign, a reimbursement request for a qualifying prior customer-pay repair is not likely.
However, if you receive a reimbursement request from a customer for a prior repair that may qualify, please contact the Warranty department (include a legible copy of the invoice) through IDS by selecting Coverage, Policy, Coding Questions and Mileage Corrections. The Warranty department will review and respond to your inquiry accordingly.
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS BULLETIN
|Technical inquiries||Submit feedback at the top of this bulletin|
|Warranty inquiries||Please contact the Warranty department by either using the Live Chat that’s available in the Warranty Documentation Portal or through IDS by selecting Coverage, Policy, Coding Questions and Mileage Corrections|
|Parts inquiries||Submit an IDS ticket to the Parts Department|
Attachment to B16 01 21
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
To: All Center Operators, Sales Managers, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Processor
RE: Recall 21V-199: Fuel Tank – B16 01 21
BMW AG has issued a Delivery Stop (effective March 12, 2021) on a small number of Model Year 2021 BMW vehicles that were produced on March 3, 2021. As of March 18, 2021, this delivery stop has been upgraded to a safety recall.
Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any new motor vehicle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that centers may not legally deliver new motor vehicles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the Safety Act.
Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any Certified Pre-Owned or used vehicles subject to a safety recall until the repair is completed.
Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or disposition of recall parts.
We appreciate all your assistance with this Recall.
Attachment to B16 01 21
Q1. Which BMW models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Q2. What is the specific issue?
The fuel tank may not have been produced to specifications. Over time, and due to factors such as certain driving conditions and road vibrations, this could lead to a fuel leak. Fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire.
Q3. Why are other models / vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other models were manufactured with a fuel tank that was produced to specifications.
Q4. Can I continue to drive my vehicle?
Yes. However, when you are contacted by BMW advising you of this recall, you should make an appointment to have this important Safety Recall performed by an authorized BMW center as soon as possible. If you are not the only driver of this vehicle, please advise all other drivers of this important information.
Q5. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
If you notice a fuel odor, or see a fuel leak from underneath the vehicle, your vehicle may be experiencing this condition. If this issue occurs, carefully move away from traffic and pull over to a safe location as soon as possible. If it is safe to do so, all occupants should carefully exit the vehicle and move to a safe location away from traffic. Do not continue to drive the vehicle. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 immediately to have your vehicle brought to the nearest authorized BMW center.
Q6. How did BMW become aware of the issue?
BMW became aware of the issue through its quality control procedures.
Q7. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
Owners of potentially affected vehicles are being contacted by phone and if necessary, letters will be mailed to them, advising them of this Safety Recall and requesting them to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center to have the remedy performed. Alternate transportation will be accommodated. Owners can locate their nearest authorized BMW center at www.bmwusa.com/dealer. To ensure BMW has the most recent contact and vehicle information, owners should register their vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give them access to factory-initiated campaigns and other information specific to their BMW.
Q8. How will my vehicle be remedied?
The fuel tank will be replaced for free and should take several hours.
Q9. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?
Yes. BMW is in the process of ensuring that the necessary tools, parts, and procedures are available prior to contacting you to schedule an appointment with your authorized BMW center to have this important Safety Recall performed. For the latest updates to this Safety Recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.
2 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Dealer Message re BMW Recall 21V-xxx: Fuel Tank (Delivery Stop 3/12/21)
Recall 573 Report
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- Product Type: Cleaning Agent
- Package Dimensions: 5.842 L X 5.842 W X 20.32 H (Cm)
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Package Weight: 0.85 Pounds
- The Archoil Ultimate Diesel Kit - Includes three best-sellers at a big discount
- AR9100 Friction Modifier (16oz)
- NEW: AR6500 Diesel Treatment (33oz)
- AR6400-D Diesel Fuel System Cleaner (12oz)
- Must-have kit for diesel vehicles - restores engine performance, rapidly cleans and boosts fuel system and provides cetane boost
- Formulated for Use In All Fuel-Injected Gasoline Engines, Including GDI
- Contains Polyetheramine (“PEA”) to Dissolve Carbon Buildup in Combustion Chambers
- Cleans ALL Types of Intake Valves, Including Those Found in PFI, TBI, and GDI Engines
- Safe On Catalytic Converters and Oxygen Sensors
- Not For Use In Diesel Engines
- Magical Cookbook: New Official MagicalButter Cookbook highlights most popular recipes included
- Easy to use: At the touch of a button with our Microprocessor-controlled program sequences, enjoy great-tasting, healthy foods, or make natural skin-care products
- Endless Recipes: Make your recipes Bolder: Brownies, Cookies, Smoothies, Sauces, Soups, Vegetables, Candies, Seafood, Marinades, Meats, Beverages, Lotions and Salves, and much more
- Easy to Clean: Fully automatic with 1,2,4,8 hour and cleaning cycles
- Warranty: 1 Year warranty for all MagicalButter Machines
- Lucas fuel treatment is formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines, carbureted or fuel injected
- Use it to pass smog tests. Finally, it totally neutralizes the harmful effects of low sulfur diesel fuel.
- Tan color
- 1 Quart
- EASY TO BAKE: Chief or non-cooker? No worries the Ardent FX is kitchen friendly and easy to use
- 4 SETTINGS: The Ardent FX will allow you to decarboxylate, Infuse, Bake and Melt
- LARGE COMPARTMENT: 4 times bigger than Nova it can take up to 4 oz material
- SMELL PROOF: The silicone lid and tight New and Improved cover traps the smell making it virtually odorless
- EASY TO USE: The FX is very simple in operation and includes detachable base for easy clean up
- GLOWING BEAUTIFUL SKIN. Start Feeling Young Again With Rosehip Seed Oil. Rich in antioxidants, Vitamins A & C, and Retinol to improve collagen production and reduce wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- REDUCE APPEARANCE OF SPOTS & SCARS. Rose Hip Oil Is Rich In Essential Fatty Acids & Antioxidants, Which Are Integral For Tissue & Cell Regeneration For Skin. This means that rose oil can help improve skin texture & even reduce the appearance of acne scars or stretch marks.
- COMES IN CONVENIENT BOTTLE PUMP. Don’t Like Contaminating Your Rosehip Seed Oil For Face Using The Dropper? Our rosehip seed oil organic cold pressed comes in a convenient pump bottle to avoid contamination.
- USDA-CERTIFIED ORGANIC VERIFIED. USDA Organic Rosehip Oil From Rosa Canina. We extract using a strictly confidential process of cold-pressed extraction method which retains all the beneficial compounds from the actual plant to the face oil.
- 100% 365 DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. We Guarantee Your Satisfaction For Our Rosehip Oil For Face. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return it for a FULL REFUND.
- Safely dissolves grease and oils on most everything, product contains no acids, abrasive or petroleum solvents and is water based and biodegradable so safe for all uses even in septic systems
- Non toxic, non-corrosive, non-hazardous, USDA approved for non-food surfaces, call the toll free help line for professional cleaning advice
- Concentrated product, use the dilution chart on each bottle to achieve maximum product performance and value
- Household uses: Laundry precept, floors, carpets, tub/tile, grills, decks, asphalt and concrete driveways, stoves, boat hulls, white wall tires, siding and more
- Industrial uses: Engines, machinery, floor scrubbers, tools, pressure washers, parts washing, exhaust hoods, and more, used in restaurants, quick lubes, garages, production facilities, HVAC and more
Last update on 2021-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API